PLEASE add canons to boats.

If this ever came to reality i would imagine one person having to operate the machinery, similar to steering the boat. Hoping that it won't be a straight port of cannons from SW. Having some sort of "skill shot" mechanic like darts in forge but with more freedom of moving and range, aswell as giving gunpowder some diffrent uses. Really hope klei decides to do some "combat" update for boating before the finale of RoT.

I’m pretty sure something like this will be added eventually.. but- I’m also pretty sure Klei wants to make sure that their use doesn’t demand Multiplayer.

Because despite the game being called Don’t Starve Together.. people tend to forget that there are still options of playing completely alone. That’s where I spend roughly 75% of my time (because I only trust very few people to join my worlds OR I have the server settings so screwed up no casual Xbox player dares to step foot into my world)

Random Season, Random Season Length, Random Weather effects- it’s pure unpredictable mad chaos & I love every second of it.

I have an idea to improve the boat combat : a pump or engine that boosts steering speed drastically for a short time using fuels. Works like ice flingomatic or sprinkler but consumes fuel much faster.

My opinion could be minority, but increasing steering speed could make seafaring more fun, including boat combat.

instead of cannons they can add a spear shotgun like in sw but with a robe so you shot it to malbatross or nawrwhale and, if he moves, will carry the boat and using it can reel the robe to be closer to the enemy so will be less tedious to follow enemies that move a lot or move your boat via waves, etc

I've been on this hype train for a while.  We need a boat mounted gun that can be loaded with gunpowder and a shot.  You aim it and light the fuse to fire.  You could load it with a cannon, harpoon, or net.  The harpoon and net would rope to the boat and reel in what you net.  Nets can catch birds / fish, while the harpoon can pull in a narwail or shark, or if you hit something immobile pull your boat in to it.  The cannon shot would deal some aoe damage and could destroy rock and salt formations.

We also need the captain hat, pirate hat, spyglass, and something sorta like the cutlass supreme!!! O_O

On 7/3/2020 at 1:43 PM, QuartzBeam said:

What makes you think that would improve boat combat?

This trailer...THIS IS WHAT DST BOATS SHOULD HAVE BEEN LIKE: Canons, grapple hooks, boat repairing, ACTUAL TEAM WORK IN MANAGING A BOAT IN A MULTIPLAYER GAME. 

Also, see this thread.

12 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

instead of cannons they can add a spear shotgun like in sw but with a robe so you shot it to malbatross or nawrwhale and, if he moves, will carry the boat and using it can reel the robe to be closer to the enemy so will be less tedious to follow enemies that move a lot or move your boat via waves, etc

A harpoon would be nice, especially because of the weird agro of sea monsters. 

2 hours ago, Squirrel12 said:

This trailer...THIS IS WHAT DST BOATS SHOULD HAVE BEEN LIKE: Canons, grapple hooks, boat repairing, ACTUAL TEAM WORK IN MANAGING A BOAT IN A MULTIPLAYER GAME. 

Also, see this thread.

Every time I watch trash sailors gameplay stuff I stay daydreaming a long time about its content being part of DST.

However, I think most of the ideas of this kind of boat gameplay are "sort of" there, we now have a grappling thingie to pick up loot from the ocean, boat repair kits exists and boats need repairs often, some mobs already invade your boats, etc. 

The problem here is and always was the whining: Klei is constantly trying to please everyone, and when boating mechanics were first introduced the outcry of the people that wants to play alone (or just can't play with others) was so big, that basically made so boats, deisgn wise became "a single player thing that is multiplayer friendly". Making boats multiplayer only would cripple a large % of players who wants to enjoy the sea content alone.

It's very hard to design something exclusively for multiplayer in a game like DST which still has many single player oriented stuff.

A possible solution I can think of: 

• Pancake boats remain the same and they stay as the basic singleplayer boat that in a multiplayer setting can ferry other people should they decide to, or take others on a fishing trip. 
  • For real multiplayer interaction they can add a new type of boat which is considerably larger and that requires a minimum of 2-3 people to handle, and can't be used alone (unless you want to crash or sink). These boats can be improved a lot further (much like a mobile base) armored, decorated, etc.
  • Single players should not cry that the new large boat can't be used by themselves. 

3 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Every time I watch trash sailors gameplay stuff I stay daydreaming a long time about its content being part of DST.

However, I think most of the ideas of this kind of boat gameplay are "sort of" there, we now have a grappling thingie to pick up loot from the ocean, boat repair kits exists and boats need repairs often, some mobs already invade your boats, etc. 

The problem here is and always was the whining: Klei is constantly trying to please everyone, and when boating mechanics were first introduced the outcry of the people that wants to play alone (or just can't play with others) was so big, that basically made so boats, deisgn wise became "a single player thing that is multiplayer friendly". Making boats multiplayer only would cripple a large % of players who wants to enjoy the sea content alone.

It's very hard to design something exclusively for multiplayer in a game like DST which still has many single player oriented stuff.

• Pancake boats remain the same and they stay as the basic singleplayer boat that in a multiplayer setting can ferry other people should they decide to, or take others on a fishing trip. 
  • For real multiplayer interaction they can add a new type of boat which is considerably larger and that requires a minimum of 2-3 people to handle, and can't be used alone (unless you want to crash or sink). These boats can be improved a lot further (much like a mobile base) armored, decorated, etc.
  • Single players should not cry that the new large boat can't be used by themselves. 

And yet, the bosses are still designed with a multiplayer focus (I know they can be solo'd by very talented people, I'm not one of them, and building bunny farms and what not). 

I still defend the position, that if these mechanics were implemented, they would still be manageable solo. Just a lot harder.

1 hour ago, ShadowDuelist said:

i think the big problem with boats are just how slow they turn. For multiple players is easier to control where to go in the middle of combat taking care each one of 1 or 2 components, it will turn slow too but atleast the time lost elevating the anchor, changing direction, etc will be shorter but still being anoying. In my experience playing alone and with friends i saw this, with people the only problem was coodination (human fault, not in desing) and how slow it changes the direction. In the other hand playing alone was tricky to make the action quick but not annoying when you practise a little but, for example, fighting malbatross without ranger weapon was a pain (even the 2nd and 3rd one with malbatross sails that improve a lot the sailing) because of how he/she moves and take a lot of time to reach it because of the waves that, with more people rowing, will be less time, then you hit few times and the mob start move again in other direction so you have to lower the anchor, blablabla, and CHANGE the danm direction, when you finally change it you or the mob are so far away.

I like the mechanic even playing solo, gives gratification to coodirnate yourself so well to evade rocks and hunt but i think changing the speed of direction will improve a lot the experience

Archived