More character refresh/rework ideas

I've been thinking a lot about what the new characters and refreshed characters characteristics and balance changes have been aiming for, also about the new skills and special abilities the characters have displayed on The Forge and The Gorge. The main idea behind all the recent changes is to increase the sinergy among them, like the woodie/Weremoose and wortox tank combo or Wickerbottom and Wormwood farm combo, but at the same time, making characters amazing on their own, for the crowd (me included) who likes to play solo. So I think that's is the main direction for all the future reworks, to make character good by themselves if you put the effort, but amazing in conjunction with other characters. Here are my ideas:

Wilson: The default character, and also the no downsides character, good to understand the basics of the game on your first go. On the Forge he was a healer, and in the forge he cook slightly faster some dishes. He also got trapped in the shadow throne for a while,  and it's been hinted that his arms have turned dark because of the exposure. He has been shown to maybe not be good at inventing new stuff, but has a gnack for learning.

-Growns a magnificent beard: no changes to this mechanic.

-Has some medical training: he can use healing items on himself and other character for double the healing. (Valid for mosquito sacks, honey polteus

-Loves to shares his knowledge: he can make blueprints of the things he has crafted (by using a cartografers desk + papyrus and pencil), good to shares special blueprints among the group. When someone learn his blueprints, he will gain 15 sanity.

- His arms have a memory of their own: he can craft items that couldn't be craft without a specific crafting station (like the pseudoscience station or celestial orb), but doing this cost him some sanity (-40 per craft).

- Can read Wickerbottoms books.

Wickerbottom: The pristine support character. On the Forge after dealing some damage, her next spell got a buff, and in the Gorge she could use her applied horticulture to speed crop harvests. She needs some mayor tweaks to balance her a little

She is a frail lady: she will hurt herself doing hard labor, getting 3 health damage if completely mining a boulder and 1, 2 and 3 health damage for completely cutting a tree depending if it's stage 1, 2 or 3 respectively. Also get double the damage while overheating and freezing.

-Far from her prime: has a x0,8 penalty on damage dealt while attacking. This goes with the fact that she is old and frail and has to rely on her books.

-No more insomnia (it's a nothing downside, barely anyone sleeps at all in the game, and doesn't allow her to get gifts on Christmas)

-Hates food spoilage (the same as it is now)

-Knows many things (the same as it is now)

-Self publishes books: This is her defining characteristic, but needs some balance, so she will only be able to use her books when having enough sanity to do so, most people agree that this is the most necessary change she needs for balance sake. Now, to counterbalance this a little, crafting a book (publishing it), would give her 10 sanity back. I also like the idea of her been able to craft a book shelf to put her books and it giving her and those around it some sanity in return the more books it has (credit not mine on the bookshelf idea).

Also, she would get some new books:

-Geological formations (2 papyrus + 1 gold + 1 nitre), 5 uses: spawns 2-3 boulders on the ground around the caster, but the type of boulder would depend on the biome. Rocky biomes wold spawn a mix of regular and gold vine boulders, desert biome would only spawn rock boulders, moon island could spawn moon glass boulders and been in the open sea would spawn sea stacks. Also, reading it around trees in the Forrest would petrify them. Maybe even petrify mobs like in the forge.

-Winter wonderland ( 2 papyrus + 1 blue gem + 10 ice), 5 uses: will cool you and the area around it to 0 °C instantly, the area will remain at that temperature for 10 seconds, so you cold freeze if you remain on it for too long, can freeze water around. If cast near the water it will create an ice plataform allowing you to walk over it (good for crossing gaps between biomes)

-The power of eye (2 papyrus + 1 dearclops eye + 1 thick fur), 5 uses (10 if Wickerbottom or Maxwell): this book can be read by every character, it will give you a damage boost of x1,25, that will last until you loose a total of half your health (if your health is 200, when you lose a total of 100 health the effect will disappear, healing doesn't change the total lost healt) or when you are frozen or put to sleep. Not good for tanking, but amazing if you are a master kitter.

-Wind instruments (2 papyrus + 5 down feathers + 5 malbatros feathers), 5 uses: it will make wind blow towards the caster from the edges of the screen, dragging items on the ground or in the water towards the player, has a 50% chance of uprooting grass an twigs from grass tuffs and saplings (uprooted items won't move that much). Helps harvesting and puling items on the water near shore or towards the boat.

-From the moon to the earth (2 papyrus + 1 iridescent gem + 5 moon rock), 10 uses: summons a meteor on the target (can be aimed), does 500 damage, if target survives, it gets stunned for 10 seconds, requires full 1/2 of full sanity to use.

More coming soon...

1 hour ago, UnknowX said:

Growns a magnificent beard: no changes to this mechanic.

I'd change one thing.

He should be able to trim his beard in stages (so, from stage 3 to stage 2 to stage 1)

Reasons why: Recently added beard skins make it more of a look option now than ever. Also, accidental beard shaving.

1 hour ago, UnknowX said:

-Has some medical training: he can use healing items on himself and other character for double the healing. (Valid for mosquito sacks, honey polteus

Someone in another topic suggested him being able to craft hearts that don't make the receiver have health penalty. I think it is a nice idea.

Now, I can think of at least one additional ability that I really want to be brought.

When other players will "hug to him" (standing really closely), they won't freeze when Wilson's beard is on stage 3.

Wilson, no rework.

Willow, reworked.

Wolfgang, make him lose more sanity from darkness and monsters than 10%, and maybe nerd his mightiest a little bit.

Wendy, reworked.

WX-78, give him better downsides, and maybe nerf his overloaded form by making it un-stackable.

Wickerbottom, give her less max health, and maybe make her default walking slower, since she's an old lady. Make spoiled food more of a problem with her, and her books are fine where they are imo.

Woodie, reworked.

Wes, no rework.

Maxwell, maybe rework? I have no ideas for him and his possible rework.

Webber, a lot of people want this one, and there are tons of mods for it. Too many ideas to jot down, so go exploring yourself. (I am lazy.)

Wigfrid, I be lieve she will get a rework, but when it comes to what will change, my mind goes blank.

Winona, reworked. 

Warly, reworked.

Wortox, Wormwood, Wurt and Walter are all new and I don't think they are getting reworks.

Now for our favorite nihilistic robot...

WX-78: a very powerful character with a few broken mechanics. On the Forge he could electrocute enemies after they attacked him and had increased electric damage, on the Forge he had a Speed boost. His gameplay is very solo orientated, so he needs more multiplayer oriented characteristics.

- Can upgrade with gears: he will spawn with 3 gears already installed, and he will still be able to upgrade with up to 15 gears, but he will be able to take the gears out of him self, in case he needs to build something with them or share them with another players. He will have a gear indicator, showing how many of out of /15 he has on himself. Extra gears above 15 will have no extra effects on him (no more healing with gears).

- Charged by lighting: here is where things get interesting. Lighting will have the same effects (sanity penalty, health gain and 50% speed increase, light radius), but with a cost. After the overload effect ends your internal machine will get stuck, and you will drop from 1 to 3 gears, downgrading you for the amount of gears you that you drop. Also, these gears will get magnetized, and you will actively repeal them (you can pick them up, but if you try to install them they will drop to the grown again) until the magnetization effect passes (2 in-game days). But if some other character picks it up, they will demagnetize instantly. 

- Damaged by water: works the same

- Not a picky eater: works the same

- Can upgrade with parts: he will have a upgrade tab, that will allow him to make new parts for the hand, chest and head slots and also batteries to power the extra upgrades. Eating batteries will power the upgrades with no negative effects. Been overcharge by lightning or electric attacks, will make the some upgrades stronger temporarily, but as soon as the overdrive charge runs out the upgrade will explode, giving you a -20 health damage. The upgrades go in the slots, but you can still equip items on the slots. They can be exchanged freely, unless they overcharge, when they will lock in to place untill they explode.

~battery (2 gold + 1 cut stone + 1 nitre): by eating the battery you will get energy for your upgrades. 1 battery equals 1 in-game day of energy, but if you have more than 1 upgrade equiped, you the energy will be consumed faster.

Head

~heat vision (2 red gem + 2 electrical doodad): will give you infrared vision (Like wagstaff infrared Google's).

~tracker sense (1 compass + 2 electrical doodad + 1 living log): when equiped, you can put any item on the head slot, and your heat will buzz the closer you come to another unit of the same item, it will also buzz near sources of the item (a mix of navigadget and divining rod).

Body

~energy capacitor (2 gold + 2 electric doodad + 1 gear): will channel lighting and electric attacks to give you the equivalent of the two battery charges, will prevent you from becoming overcharge. Doesn't consume energy.

~furnace body (2 red gem + 2 electric doodad + 1 gears): your body will irradiate heat, similar to a scaled furnace. Every flammable item on your inventory (not counting back packs) will turn so ashes, and food will get cooked. Will also heat nearby characters, and produce a small radius of light to at least ward off Charlie. If overcharged, you will slowly overheat and when the upgrade explodes you will set everything on a three tile radius on fire.

~freezer body (2 blue gems + 2 electric doodad + 1 gear): your body will cool the surrounding area, food will spoil at half the normal normal rate. Will stop ice from melting and will cool thermal stones. Will cool nearby characters. if overcharged, you will slowly freeze and when the upgrade explodes will freeze everything on a three tile radius around you.

Hand

Buzzer hand ( 2 gold + 2 electric doodad + 1 volt goat horn): will add electric damage to attacks. if overcharged, you also get a 1,5 x damage multiplier untill it explodes.

cursed hand (2 nightmare fuel + 2 electric doodad + 1 thelucite): will make shadow tentacles spawn around what your target. If overcharged, the shadow tentacles spawn rate will double. And when it explodes many shadow tentacles will spawn between you and your enemy.

8 hours ago, UnknowX said:

I've been thinking a lot about what the new characters and refreshed characters characteristics and balance changes have been aiming for, also about the new skills and special abilities the characters have displayed on The Forge and The Gorge. The main idea behind all the recent changes is to increase the sinergy among them, like the woodie/Weremoose and wortox tank combo or Wickerbottom and Wormwood farm combo, but at the same time, making characters amazing on their own, for the crowd (me included) who likes to play solo. So I think that's is the main direction for all the future reworks, to make character good by themselves if you put the effort, but amazing in conjunction with other characters. Here are my ideas:

Wilson: The default character, and also the no downsides character, good to understand the basics of the game on your first go. On the Forge he was a healer, and in the forge he cook slightly faster some dishes. He also got trapped in the shadow throne for a while,  and it's been hinted that his arms have turned dark because of the exposure. He has been shown to maybe not be good at inventing new stuff, but has a gnack for learning.

-Growns a magnificent beard: no changes to this mechanic.

-Loves to shares his knowledge: he can make blueprints of the things he has crafted (by using a cartografers desk + papyrus and pencil), good to shares special blueprints among the group. When someone learn his blueprints, he will gain 15 sanity.

- His arms have a memory of their own: he can craft items that couldn't be craft without a specific crafting station (like the pseudoscience station or celestial orb), but doing this cost him some sanity (-40 per craft).

- Can read Wickerbottoms books.

am i the only one who's really behind his wilson rework idea?

now, i know wes reworks are courting confrontation and controversy but here me out as i think i have a very important fix that would benifit the community as a whole;

Spoiler

fix hats so you can see his eyes and he can see the 8 spiders heading right for him

Here we go again, like many times before, all hail king Wilbur:

WILBUR’S REWORK
Old perk to keep: Can run ON FOUR LEGS, throw poop
New perk to add:
1-    Poop when eat fruit
2-    Jump into Trees, harvest fruits on trees, hide from agro mobs (like when you use bush hat), can dodge attack like Wheeler (monkey is fast so can dodge). Can jump into nearby tree (like The Tiddler’s char: Warfarin - The Tricky Thief)
3-    Can now talk simple word about coming event, not much but still can (like Caesar in Planet of the Apes series)
4-    Can plant Banana on the surface, gain sanity when eat banana.
5-    Loose sanity when hungry (like normal animal), gain sanity when throw poop at other, those was thrown at loose sanity.
6-    Can throw many things else not just manure, like rock, spear, axe, pickaxe… and deal some damage.
7-    All kind of ape don’t agro on Wilbur, can craft Prime Ape Hut which will spawn Prime Ape which will follow him with a price (1 banana each). 
8-    Turn in to Oozaru (Great ape in Dragonball) when full moon, when in this form Wilbur can do Bearger's slam (help bring down multiple trees), smash rocks like one hit, tank boss…
image.png.fa6a94d5f1e01f52f0696e7de98aa340.png

I've been talking a bit with my brother, who plays a lot more DST than I do, about the WX ideas presented here and we've got something to bring up: As things are now, you can't safely use upgrades during rain without the capactor body, which takes away overcharging alltogether and prevents you from using the much more useful freezer body. The concept is good but it seems like a bit too little thought was put in in relation to downsides, especially given that the parts are kinda expensive, especially the hands. It seems like for that cost you should be able to just use them without having them equipped making overcharging a substantial negative, especially when you consider that you need to eat batteries every so often to keep them running, which is a built in downside and reoccurring cost.

3 hours ago, Woloa said:

I've been talking a bit with my brother, who plays a lot more DST than I do, about the WX ideas presented here and we've got something to bring up: As things are now, you can't safely use upgrades during rain without the capactor body, which takes away overcharging alltogether and prevents you from using the much more useful freezer body. The concept is good but it seems like a bit too little thought was put in in relation to downsides, especially given that the parts are kinda expensive, especially the hands. It seems like for that cost you should be able to just use them without having them equipped making overcharging a substantial negative, especially when you consider that you need to eat batteries every so often to keep them running, which is a built in downside and reoccurring cost.

You could use them in the rain, because you can equip the upgrades and still use other items on the slots (the only one that doesn't allow you to use another item is the tracker sense upgrade, because you have to slot a item for it to track).

My main idea behind the overcharging destroying the upgrades would be to not make them overpowered.

But I see your point, and originally I thought that the capacitor body's function could be a heat upgrade (something like a lighting rod head) same functions, only that in a head slot. Thanks for the feedback. :D

Archived