I have a huge question. Can we play the new character offline like Warly? Will it end up online only like Wortox? Also, Why can't we go online and download the data for the 3 dlc characters to use later if we unlock them? 

This is a good question- but I believe the answer is rather obvious isn’t it?

If Walter is FREE and you do not need to own “Essential Walter Head” then obviously like Warly he will be playable offline.

In fact I’m sure they ALL Could be playable Offline if there simply just was no way to ever unravel the “Essential Head” into Free Spools.

The reason Wortox, Wurt and Wormwood are only accessible Online is because a bad person could log offline.. and then craft 9,999 Of the Essential heads then log online and unravel them into infinite spool which obviously loses Klei a great deal of Profit.

I vote that they should simply make the head into something you can NEVER Unravel (like Loyality skins) and this might also open them up as playable offline. However and most sadly... without the use of any other clothing items except their default look. :( 

6 hours ago, Rma209 said:

Well off topic I think they should let us save 1 look for offline use.I also had no idea you could unravel the dlc characters.

I think that’s the biggest problem to be honest.. the fact that they CAN be Unraveled is why they can’t be useable offline. They should make it so that you can not ever UNRAVEL or obtain Duplicates of DLC Characters.. that way people can’t exploit unraveling them for infinite free spool.

As for the 1 slot clothing preset thing.. YES I would love that, but before we get ANY Of that I want something more important- The ability to host worlds I started Online in Offline play.

Why? I live in South Alabama dude.... we go through something called a “Tornado Season” Frequent storms & power/internet outages.. sometimes the power is restored, but the Internet stays down for hours. During that internet downtime I would love to actually have something to do (and sadly currently playing my DST save in Offline mode isn’t an option) & god.... don’t even get me Started on how often Xbox Live has Service Outages in THEIR End.... why can’t DST let me play without signing in? Xbox has over the past year had hours upon hours of sign in issues.... During these times I have to play DS MOBILE & DS SHIPWRECKED MOBILE to get my DS fix.

Yes.. I suppose I could buy a PC, but Klei could also make an effort in making their game more accessible to those who can’t always have a persistent online connection.

56 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Klei could also make an effort in making their game more accessible to those who can’t always have a persistent online connection.

if only but i doubt they care about us peasants who dont have 24/7 internet connections

3 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I think that’s the biggest problem to be honest.. the fact that they CAN be Unraveled is why they can’t be useable offline. They should make it so that you can not ever UNRAVEL or obtain Duplicates of DLC Characters.. that way people can’t exploit unraveling them for infinite free spool.

It's not as easy as that, unfortunately. The problem with being offline is that Klei can't check on their servers if you actually have a character or skin. If players had access to them offline, they could find a way to get and use them for free, so Klei had to implement security measurements to prevent that. But since DST's code is basically public, it'd be hard to prevent people altering or exploiting this security.

So at the end Klei would lose the funds they need for DST's developement, because people would just play offline instead of paying for the skins and characters.

Also, characters should remain unravelable imo. First, one could get a character multiple times (by getting it with a bundle, for example), and one would want rather 900 extra spools than a second but useless copy. Second, if one has the character but doesn't like it, it's good to be able to break it down so that one can get another character faster.

3 hours ago, --- -.- said:

if only but i doubt they care about us peasants who dont have 24/7 internet connections

It's not that they don't care, but it would be difficult/resource demanding to make it happen while it wouldn't benefit that much alltogether. The devs are working on a lot of things already. And I'm pretty sure once they'll get to it if there'll be enough demand for it and it would become possible for reasonable effort.

@fimmatek this why i wont waste money on skins or the dlc characters because you dont really own them when you buy them and its even worse if you actually spent 6.99 on them... for 6.99 i can buy SW or hamlet dlc which adds multiple characters, huge expansion to the game, and I can use it when i'm offline like how it should be speaking of that it wouldnt be resource demanding then cause they literally did the correct way of make dlc with sw and hamlet

also there will never be enough demand for improving the games offline capabilities... cause honestly there will never be a benefit for them to improve the games offline unless they actually did care about their game working offline which they had about almost a decade to care about... still cant even play on your online world when offline which means the game is literally unplayable if your offline

+1 for being able to use characters we purchased offline.  Skins are a nice-to-have, but I don't see why characters shouldn't be playable offline.

If the concern is legitimacy of items obtained offline then just don't allow players to gain anything offline - always use the values server-side as the source of truth when the client and server report separate values.  I'd rather be able to use the skins/characters offline and make no progress playing than not be able to use them at all.

18 hours ago, ii3eas7 said:

+1 for being able to use characters we purchased offline.  Skins are a nice-to-have, but I don't see why characters shouldn't be playable offline.

If the concern is legitimacy of items obtained offline then just don't allow players to gain anything offline - always use the values server-side as the source of truth when the client and server report separate values.  I'd rather be able to use the skins/characters offline and make no progress playing than not be able to use them at all.

An easier solution would simply be to just make it so that once weaved or purchased... the DLC character can not be Unraveled & You can never obtain duplicates.

This prevents people from exploiting them in offline play to obtain infinite amounts of spool.

Archived