How the Girl Scouts ruin the timeline of Don't Starve

7 hours ago, Shosuko said:

I think the truth is obvious.  She is a compulsive liar.  You should never trust orphans.

What would she have to gain by lying? That's her quote in the base game Don't Starve, in which she merely announces things out loud to no one's ears. If this were in DST, I would agree that she could be lying, but in singleplayer, who is she lying to? Herself? The trees? Maxwell? I guess it could be Maxwell, but he wouldn't know what the Girl Scouts are in the first place!

3 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

-snip-

Hey, this is really cool stuff! That's really interesting, actually. I wasn't in the girl scouts, but this is really cool stuff to see! Especially after I've done a lot of reading on the past scouts. Thanks for this!

As for the wilson comment, I don't actually know. I got it from the Wiki... I think it was mentioned somewhere. I'll go search for a source. The wiki was probably not the best one ;-P

EDIT: Apparently Kevin said so on the time line

AH.  Well, that explains it.  Nobody ever says _where_ they got the information; they just say it.  So no wonder I was confused.

And thanks on the comment about my rambling!  I didn't know if anyone would care, but my brain suddenly went "HECK YEAH I ACTUALLY DID THAT STUFF!" and then I had to go down Memory Lane.  Lol.  Maybe that's partly why I like to play as Willow...she at least _says_ that part of her childhood was kinda like part of mine.

Also she's a snarker and her downsides don't constant(ha!)ly bother me.  : P

...Notorious

11 minutes ago, Rinkusan said:

-missclicked and dumb phone doesn't let me erase this-

Maybe she believes she got all the badges, or she intimidated her way into obtaining them... Knowing that her quote doesn't check out means a lot regarding her character, that is if we want to explain it that way.

21 minutes ago, BreadScientist said:

What would she have to gain by lying? That's her quote in the base game Don't Starve, in which she merely announces things out loud to no one's ears. If this were in DST, I would agree that she could be lying, but in singleplayer, who is she lying to? Herself? The trees? Maxwell? I guess it could be Maxwell, but he wouldn't know what the Girl Scouts are in the first place!

One of the trademarks of compulsive liars is that they lie even when there is nothing to gain.  They lie to themselves as much as to others, sometimes not realizing the difference between the lie and the truth.  They may even pass a lie detector test when lying because they really believe it.  None of the normal signals like being nervous or pausing to consider the lie happen because lying is just like telling the truth to them.

I mean - who created Willow's backstory anyway?  We know she is an adult, yet her cinematic shows her childhood experience.  I don't think there were any witnesses that lived through the fire.  Did she tell us this story?  Was she even an orphan?  Does she even like fire?  I have my doubts...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pathological_lying

https://www.healthline.com/health/pathological-liar

6 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

One of the trademarks of compulsive liars is that they lie even when there is nothing to gain.  They lie to themselves as much as to others, sometimes not realizing the difference between the lie and the truth.  They may even pass a lie detector test when lying because they really believe it.  None of the normal signals like being nervous or pausing to consider the lie happen because lying is just like telling the truth to them.

I mean - who created Willow's backstory anyway?  We know she is an adult, yet her cinematic shows her childhood experience.  I don't think there were any witnesses that lived through the fire.  Did she tell us this story?  Was she even an orphan?  Does she even like fire?  I have my doubts...

I like this interpretation, and I won't lie- I was pretty much just egging you on... I considered pathological lying being a possible explanation, but I thought continuing the discussion would be fun.

Is Willow even her REAL NAME?

I don’t think I’ll trust anyone who has a quote for a downquill fishing tackle that reads- “What if.. now here me out, I just burn it?” 

How do we know she actually ever was a real Girl Scout? That quote could mean absolutely anything I think just like all her others it’s there to make you laugh.

1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

I don’t think I’ll trust anyone who has a quote for a downquill fishing tackle that reads- “What if.. now here me out, I just burn it?” 

How do we know she actually ever was a real Girl Scout? That quote could mean absolutely anything I think just like all her others it’s there to make you laugh.

good argument

3 minutes ago, BreadScientist said:

I like this interpretation, and I won't lie- I was pretty much just egging you on... I considered pathological lying being a possible explanation, but I thought continuing the discussion would be fun.

Is Willow even her REAL NAME?

Does her real name even start with W?  I bet she's a Millie, or maybe a Sara...  I've known some Saras, you can never trust a Sara to not burn your prestihatitator when your back is turned...

7 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

As much as it's clear that her badge comment is objectively a lie, I actually don't think Willow is purposefully lying. If you look at the in-game compendium and go to Willow's profile, it states that she's a "CANDID woman whose penchant for fire often gets her into more than a little trouble". So, unlike character dialogue, these are Klei's words, not hers. 

You can also see in the From the Ashes summary (and the literal phrase "From the Ashes" itself) that Klei is trying to portray Willow as a phoenix (i.e. the theme of rebirth and renewal). However, the implication of renewal is a lack of maturity or a return to immaturity. Basically, I think it's more likely that Willow is an adult with a child-like mind due to lack of parenting, and therefore, she's deluded herself into thinking that she does have all the badges because of how great and self-absorbed she is with her survival skills, much like how a 6-year-old deludes themselves into thinking their starter Pokemon is the best Pokemon in the game because their lvl 100 Typhlosion took down Lugia. 

5 minutes ago, minespatch said:

Her forelorn doll skin collection is all about her grandmother.

It doesn't directly mention her grandma, but it's an alright interpretation, i guess. Also, it's quite vague if she was actually abandoned or her grandma just bit the dust and young Willow didn't know what really happened, probably the latter, really sounds like she misses her grandmother.

Archived