Boat Combat is Disappointing

If your playing this game using a keyboard and a mouse please do me a favor, put that down for a second and plug in an Xbox controller.

Are you doing that? Are you dying now??? Are you suddenly realizing that button binding alone on an Xbox controller can sometimes be enough to kill you?

I sure as hell hope so, because this game is not optimized with console gameplay in mind, it’s built for PC’s and then ported as best as it can be to an Xbox Controller.

I am sure EVERYTHING is Easier when your playing point and click adventure.
and unless someone has been feeding me false information- You don’t even have to be facing the direction of your targets on a PC in order to fight them. 

I didn’t say driving a boat ALONE using a console controller was Impossible... I said that it was Barely manageable to do. And the very REASON as to why is because of the above mentioned button binding. Here’s an example of what my boat looks like on Console-

44BC1E7E-5166-4102-B704-7B735430B0CA.jpeg.18734d5f8eec54731cdfa661973d0bbb.jpeg

do you see how everything is separated apart spaced neatly in a circle on the outer edges?? This isn’t to make my boat look any prettier, it’s because IF everything was any closer together trying to perform One action would end up performing a completely different action altogether.  

Also notice how there’s no room at all on my boat for an Lightning Rod... making sailing using this during Summer or Spring a definite No No (please Klei make a Boat lightning rod upgrade that turns the tip of the mast into a lightning rod just to save space on my boat AND make it lightning proof)

I’m a Wendy main so let’s just use her as the biggest example- I hear that on PC you can return Abigail into her flower simply just by grabbing the flower dragging it into the screen over her and boom, you can heal her up and your good to go.

Yeah.. not on Xbox, to Return Abigail into her flower requires you to be standing within spear slapping distance of Abigail and tap Left on your Dpad to put her away.. But you know what ELSE pressing left on your Dpad will do? 

Give Abigails Flower to the nearest person standing next to you, or if your unfortunate enough to be standing next to a fire BURN IT as a Fuel source.

..... how and WHY is that even an option? 

The TL:DR- What seems easy to do on a PC with point and click mouse controls may barely even be doable at all using an Xbox Controller.

Also you haven’t heard of ATLAS because it’s still in the game preview program, made by the creators of Ark Survival Evolved, it’s Basically Ark 2: Pirate Themed Edition.

4 hours ago, Kelloggs Dogfry said:

Well to be fair, not “cheesing” crab king does involve dodging a projectile when he does his boiling water. I think when done with one boat and no freeze spamming/bees it’s an amazing fight and push more in that teamwork boat combat than Malbatross. The other points about it being expensive and dangerous are spot on though. More combat structures would be fun.

Thats why I was excited when I first saw CrabKing.  But the risk of your boat getting completely wrecked at any moment is too high.  Especially when you get the hands involved.  Without a damage steroid (abi / wolfgang) those hands take a bit to kill.  You basically lose your boat whenever these two combine.  Add with this CrabKing healing to full and you might as well pass on the fight solo...

4 hours ago, Toros said:

This definitely would work with SW style boats which are highly maneuverable but RoT boats while they can be fast with malbatross sails are too clumsy for precise maneuvers.  Paddling is too small an effect to really solve that effectively either, so to dodge attacks with current boats you'd need to have huge amounts of warning.

That said, if they massively improved turning speed boat handling could improve very quickly and dramatically.

I do think an upgraded steering set is in order.

3 hours ago, QuartzBeam said:

A normal weapon would be redundant. Sailing is an activity that you can't really comfortably engage in until mid-game or later, at which point you should have no issue getting a steady supply of Hambats.

You can get a boat going in the first autumn.  I can usually get sailing between day 10-15.  With a firepit and warm gear to get through the first winter, and with luck catching ice breams, I should be able to sail pretty much full time from that point.  However I still need to fight things.  Cookie cutters, gnarwails and malbatross require weapons long before you will fight Crab King, and any time you get off your boat you're going to get a hound wave too.  This includes reasonable sailing objectives like grannie's island and the lunar biome.  Also as you approach land if you're insane you're going to get shadow creatures attacking you as well.

This fighting is very intermittent which makes a hambat awful for sailing.  You would basically have to make one each time you fight, and unless you build a pig house on your boat (some ppl do this) you won't have regular meats after a bit of time on the seas.  Also shadow creatures don't come at you on the boat, nor is there a source of living logs so dark swords are out.  The choices are spears and glass cutters.  I don't mind the choices, but I do think there is a middle space filled on land by the hambat that could be added to the seas.

---------------------------

I think it would be cool if we could make a harpoon gun for the boat.  You would need to load it with gunpowder and a harpoon (crafted from gnarwail horn) and it would stab into a mob and reel you or it in.  This could help us force agro with gnarwails and malbatross better.  Imagine if you could harpoon malbatross giving you x amount of time where it's bound stationary for the fight.  It could still normal attack, but you could dodge on the boat since it's held stationary.  Or you could harpoon gnarwails and drag them in for a normal kill.  4 big fish meats and a new horn.

The downsides would be durability on the projectile, and of course needing a gunpowder for every shot, and it takes up space on the boat which is already crowded...  but it would be a LOT of fun!!

This could also add in the possibility of a future boss that, when harpooned, takes you for a ride as you fight it!

---------------------------

Lighting really needs to be addressed too.  Skittersquids aren't a reliable source of lightbulbs.  Maybe if gnarwail dropped blubber, or we could use fishmeats and render them into oil with a crock pot recipe to refuel our lamps?  The reason whaling was so popular back in the day was to render the fat into lamp oil and soap, I think it makes sense to add this in.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

If your playing this game using a keyboard and a mouse please do me a favor, put that down for a second and plug in an Xbox controller.

Are you doing that? Are you dying now??? Are you suddenly realizing that button binding alone on an Xbox controller can sometimes be enough to kill you?

I sure as hell hope so, because this game is not optimized with console gameplay in mind, it’s built for PC’s and then ported as best as it can be to an Xbox Controller.

Dude - I am with you 100% about console controls.  They are an abomination.  With boats its really hard because so many of your controls are based on context with the left arrow or action button and whatever you're standing near.  On PC I can build my anchor and sail right next to each other and I'll never click the wrong one.  When I play with controller my boat design changes completely, severely limiting my boat design.  I don't think Klei can fix all of the context issues, but I do know an overhaul of the controller bindings could help a lot => especially when it comes to using items on other items like refueling lamps, potions on Abi, and crafting!

There’s several things from Shipwrecked that I would like to see that makes this game more easily accessible to the solo player- Boat Lanterns! Or AkA A light source upgrade that can be directly attached to the Boat itself (maybe hang them off the Mast or in a Circle around your boats outer ring) 

Just Like ATLAS Heaving and Ho-Ing sails bonded to the Captains Steering Wheel, So you can Steer the Boat & Raise/Lower sails at the same time.

You can still interact with them directly too.. but being bonded to steering the ship makes it easier for the Solo Playstyle. Which is why ATLAS does it.

Shipwrecked Canons! Because uhh.. why not? 

Different types of boats!! Shipwrecked had lots of different cool looking boats and rafts players could use- The Boat Cookie is our only option for DST.

For those of you for whatever reason did not ever play shipwrecked here’s an example of what SW boats looked like.

D4E62837-663E-420C-95B8-1842A7E0ECBD.png.b74951a99a7bdc3d77bdc18150ebdfa8.png228115B7-7C2F-48E3-BFB4-E465C842FC1F.thumb.jpeg.15c8c7da1c77f78d1780fc494263c1e3.jpeg7812B902-E8F9-47F2-A59A-9F3F70E1F896.png.4aa552ea4cb881097e6c876baa03e30a.png1CEECFD0-697C-4C11-B445-E9AE66FB6F19.jpeg.f9224826a81ff4ce5ef4a8dc0e67432b.jpeg

These Boats... just like the Boat Cookie could be upgraded in various ways- With Masts, Anchors, Lanterns, Canons etc..

the last thing I want is a way to combine the pole of the boat mast with a lightning rod, so that my boat becomes immune to lightning strikes in Spring boat trips. (It is not very wise to go boating in spring!) 

Dont Starve Together is a Multiplayer game but not playing it Multiplayer shouldn’t feel like a punishment to those who choose to play Alone.

i agree boat combat is even worse than land combat and i didnt think its scientifically possible for klei to make a combat which is even more boring than existing one its actually very impressive

51 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Different types of boats!! Shipwrecked had lots of different cool looking boats and rafts players could use- The Boat Cookie is our only option for DST.

Definitely - I was thinking it would be cool to make a boat out of dfly scales that is fire immune, or a boat with marble in the recipe that is stronger against collision damage.  I don't think they can make a boat much bigger than we have now, but I don't see why we couldn't make a cheaper, smaller, faster, more agile boat that doesn't have as much room for other things on it, but is ideal for early game exploring.

As Lakurion says, shipwrecked boats should be added and i hope klei can make huge difference in the future using boat kit from return of them and small boats like from shipwrecked. maybe you could go sail at the speed of 2.5 with a small boat and a oar (speed of normal boats using oar's is 1) but not be able to sea fishing since fish do not appear in your inventory and obviously you cant place structures. yet of right now if we had shipwrecked boats would spoil most content from return of them. 

*Time is key of patience*

2 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

But sw boats are just walking in the sea...

I don’t get this argument- not even in the slightest bit.. I don’t see why they can’t just reskin the boat Cookie to look like SW boats.

No one, at all has ever wanted them to function like SW Boats... Klei expanded upon Shipwreckeds boating mechanics with the new Boat Platform thing Aka the Boat Cookie- and those change should still apply to Smaller 1-2 person boats.

The difference is that the smaller boats would obviously move and turn faster.. reacting to smashing into a sea stack faster.

You still need to turn a steering wheel and rotate the mast to move the smaller boats.

BOTH the Boat Base... and Smaller SW Style Boats can exist in this game.

TL:DR- Boat Cookie is literally a large river raft capable of placing an actual base on... the Shipwrecked Boats are Smaller boats that you obviously couldn’t place a campfire, cook pot, tent, etc in. What you COULD place on the smaller boats however is all the Boating accessories that the Boat Cookie Requires- Foundation, Mast, Steering Wheel, Anchor, Tin Fishing Bin- But at HALF the cost of building the fully functional large boat base thing.

40 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

No one, at all has ever wanted them to function like SW Boats... Klei expanded upon Shipwreckeds boating mechanics with the new Boat Platform thing Aka the Boat Cookie- and those change should still apply to Smaller 1-2 person boats.

I'm pretty sure several people want SW boats functioning exactly like SW boats.

Also I don't think they can just reskin them because one feature of the boat cookie is it's omnidirectional appearance.  It never rotates.  SW boats would need to rotate.

2 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

I'm pretty sure several people want SW boats functioning exactly like SW boats.

Also I don't think they can just reskin them because one feature of the boat cookie is it's omnidirectional appearance.  It never rotates.  SW boats would need to rotate.

Well I’m not one of those several people.. regular shipwrecked boats are boring, they should behave more like the Boat Cookie- I’m sure someone can easily get this going as a Mod.. but I would like it to be official content.

Smaller 2-3 person boats that actually look like boats but move and turn a little faster than that slow moving boat base platform.

I may actually take the free time to draw a concept art of this smaller boat.. I mean yes Large structures like the Pinch Winch obviously wouldn’t fit on the smaller boats, but most every other structure can if shrunk down in size.. The only problem as you said would be the rotation.

22 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Well I’m not one of those several people..

I'm almost positive that a little forum archeology would show this statement to be incorrect.

I think the constant references to SW boats are doing this topic 0 favors. I think the conversation should be framed as an item totally separate from current DST boats and SW boats. Since we aren't playing SW there is no reason to mention SW boats at all. 

If I had to throw out an idea for smaller, more maneuverable boats in DST, i'd suggest a small 1 man raft that could not have structures placed on it and had a durability type similar to spoilage (lol, I guess pretty much how SW boats operate). Anyway, maybe a max lifetime of 1 game day, and a construction cost of say 2 boards and 1 rope.

The only conceivable use for any smaller boat type I can think of would be for early game exploration. Aside from that I don't see any benefit to having a smaller more maneuverable craft.

If you are having trouble operating a boat solo, simply make the anchor and steering wheel as readily accessable as you need them to be and have an oar equipped while you are driving, all the other stuff doesn't matter much. If you are headed for trouble, drop the anchor. The sail can then be raised at your leisure allowing you to either raise anchor and correct course with the oar, or adjust the closed sail in the desired direction before raising the anchor and dropping the sail to continue your journey. It doesn't matter if it takes you a second or 2 to highlight the crockpot on a boat, or a chest, or an icebox, you shouldn't be doing any of that stuff if your boat is on a dangerous path anyway. As long as you can access the steering wheel and anchor as quickly as you need to feel comfortable you shouldn't be having problems.

You also obviously need to plan your pathing accordingly. Your not gonna make that hard 90° turn at full speed between a mass of sea stacks. Either come back around for a straight pass, or just navigate around the obstacles.

If there were some high level rewards for navigating into the middle of a tight group of sea stacks I might be able to get on board with different boat types, but there isn't.

The current boats will get you where you need to go, and will allow you to maintain your stats and safety for extremely long periods of time. Don't feel rushed, don't decide to circumnavigate the map a day before summer with no food or flings, don't treat the boat as if its a jetski.

550096-youtube_0.jpg

I just feel like the best way to fight this crab king is by intentionally building a bunch of dummy boats that you knows only purpose is to get absolutely wrecked.. 

A feeling that shouldn’t have to exist at all if I had a smaller, faster moving, easier to dodge and steer vessel.

The OP said boat combat is boring, having something that could move faster, and dodge being wrecked, but at the same time be weaker and more easily wrecked could be interesting.

Its sort of a risk vs reward concept- do you use the large slow but higher damage sustaining boat Cookie, or do you use a smaller faster moving but faster to be destroyed Boat? 

I wouldn’t worry too much about the smaller boats making the boat platform become outclassed, because there would be things the large boat could do that obviously the smaller ones wouldn’t- The Pinchin Winch and pulling up items with that is one example of content that the smaller boat wouldn’t be able to perform.

What it WOULD do however is not make players have to build these enormous oversized round platforms just to paddle out a few inches from shore and gather items that are in the ocean but just out of reach.

I expect that when/If Walani ever arrives to the game her surfboard would be able to be picked up and replaced back down again elsewhere, which sure probably wouldn’t be all that useful in late game... but you know what it WOULD be super useful for?

Helping WURT gather the 20 seaweeds she needs to construct the Royal Tapestry. :) 

I just feel like the best way to fight this crab king is by intentionally building a bunch of dummy boats that you knows only purpose is to get absolutely wrecked.. 

Just watched a CK fight video as I haven't had a chance to play much lately and yeah, it looks like the above statement is correct.

A feeling that shouldn’t have to exist at all if I had a smaller, faster moving, easier to dodge and steer vessel.

From what I can tell from the video this would completely eliminate any challenge from the fight. It looks as though CK does no direct damage to the player? And whats being asked for is a way to completely avoid damage to the players boat as well? 

It looks to me by the video that CKs geyser attack has quite the charge up time. A faster boat option would either be just barely faster than a regular boat, making it a bit pointless, or sufficiently faster than regular boats to the point that all challenge from the CK fight would be eliminated all together. 

The OP said boat combat is boring

Which I would personally attribute to lack of water mob diversity and water based combat structures/equipment diversity more so than boating mechanics.

Available creatures to fight on water are what? Crab King, Malbatross, Cookie Cutters and Gnarwails? I'll throw Hounds in there also just to round out the list (let me know if i've forgotten any).

having something that could move faster, and dodge being wrecked, but at the same time be weaker and more easily wrecked could be interesting.

Maybe, but I don't think that would change much at the end of the day. The above doesn't necessarily apply to boat combat, which is the area of concern. You would still in essence be dragging a piece of land out to sea to perform normal land based melee combat.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the smaller boats making the boat platform become outclassed

I don't think anyone is worried about that.

What it WOULD do however is not make players have to build these enormous oversized round platforms just to paddle out a few inches from shore and gather items that are in the ocean but just out of reach.

If that is a players only use for a boat then don't go out on the water to gather the borderline worthless resources that happen to be that close to the shore? Nothing important is that close to the shore....

Helping WURT gather the 20 seaweeds 

Except I suppose in this case. But I would say the argument there becomes tweaking Wurt, not changing the basis of a large chunk of the game to make it easier for a single character to craft a single structure.

That would be like changing the fundamentals of the caves just to make it easier for Winnona to craft a catapult (just a vague analogy here, I'm aware caves aren't needed for catapult construction).

For me it's hard to see the boat issue as anything more than a request for the SW style "walking on water" mechanic. To stay true to DST, a smaller boat would still need boat operation structures placed, which would still require the player to move between the elements that needed to be operated. People would still have the same issues they have now, just on a smaller, faster platform. This could actually exacerbate the current problems.

Another option is a smaller faster boat that comes with the essentials of DST boating pre fabricated within said boat. Mast, anchor, steering. The player would still need to operate all of these items independently, and without the option of placing additional structures. Again, the same issues remain.

Lastly, SW walking on water mechanics. You get on a boat and it just moves. You are free to attack/interact/move. You have no responsibility of actually operating a boat, you are simply walking on water.

Boring.

The problem is none of this actually addresses Boat Combat. It is a factor in Boat Combat for sure, but it squarely falls under the topic of Boat Operation. Actual boat combat would remain unchanged.

I don't pretend to have all the answers, but I think boating structures/regular sea based mobs are the answer. I created a thread in the Suggestions section a while back that came and went, as threads in that section do, that suggested some structures and mobs to give Boat Combat a more alluring feel. I'll try to find and link it to avoid more typing.

Edit: Here-

if the boat fighting couldnt improve then klei should make sea a space for exploration, a feature in this games that i love,  (we have almost the same biomes since RoG, even the caves has less exploration areas) more than a combat oriented place.

Ye, they can bring original combat mechanics like cockie cutter or crab king but having all of these space free i would include a bunch of island (where you can actually put all the effort in making awesome mobs to fight) and let the ocen to fight "simple" mobs and bosses like malbatross because i cant see an scenario where fighting in the sea could be an epic hit an run fight without being a bunch of people rowing, using anchor, etc

see crab king, his geisers can be evade rowing but people will keep freezing him because is much more safe and quick. Same with gnarwail, i would freeze him instead of chasing him 5 minutes

These Single/Two Person Boats that I have in my head on an Xbox console should have its own set of commands when your on board the boat- Yes I’m burrowing this idea from another pirate game but the

TL:DR- When your On board the Vessel your button inputs serve a very different function then they do on Land.

Okay So like for example when your interacting with the Steering Wheel, Holding in A can also raise and lower the sails without you know.. actually having to walk over and raise/lower the sail yourself.

Pressing Down on the Dpad can drop your anchor into the Water without having to walk over and actually interact with the anchor, Pressing Left will Access your Boats Inventory if you’ve upgraded said boat to also have a built in Tin Fishin Bin.

I cant draw worth a crap so I burrowed an image online and then quickly scribbled in the required boat attachments here: 

Basic boat starts with just the Boat itself, you’ll still need to craft the Oar to move it.

THIS Is what I want... a new type of boat better suited for Solo or Two persons- I’m not asking to remove the boat Cookie because people have fun building bases with that.. but you’d be lying if you tell me having something like this in addition to the boat Cookie.. wouldn’t be nice.

483D66CB-20C7-4D25-B3E1-E34BFB72E813.jpeg

On 5/21/2020 at 6:15 PM, Mike23Ua said:

Your forgetting that this game can still be played completely alone. 
there’s probably more people who play alone then there are those who play together, because playing with random people online is like going to the jokers birthday party and everyone gets a gift.. out of 5 birthday presents each only 1 is guaranteed not to release laughing gas.

(I’m referencing Batman because I’m a huge Batman nerd ahem anyway...) To apply that into a DST context- this game is NOT and Never has been Multiplayer friendly.. Red Hounds alone are enough for under-experienced players who do not know any better to light the world on fire.. so therefore SOME of us prefer playing in locked private sessions.

Your wanting this to be a forced Multiplayer naval warfare game Like Sea of Thieves but honestly??? Sea of Thieves SUCKS!!! The fact that it forces cooperation and there’s no legit way to turn OFF PvP content made me instantly Hate it.

a BETTER Pirate game to reference would have been ATLAS- not only does it have PVP but it also has PVE mode where you never have to engage another player in forced combat.

The difference? Sea of Thieves as you said requires you to work together with other people or fail Atlas, or hell even Assassins Creed Black Flag allows you to hire A.I. crew mates and sail the oceans entirely alone if that’s what you choose to do.

I play this don’t starve together with 1-2 other people and driving a boat Alone is barely manageable as it is now.. Maybe if I could recruit A.I. to operate the boat it would feel less like A forced Multiplayer centric thing? Just saying.

Is having multiplayer naval warfare in a multiplayer game appropriate? Yes, I think so.

Listen, I'm actually a solo SOLO player too, so I sympathise with your concerns.

However, Don't Starve Together is designed for a multiplayer experience first (it's in the name) and a single-player experience second, which means that playing by yourself will inevitably be more challenging and occasionally even frustrating. 

However, playing by yourself is not impossible...I think the suggestions I made are manageable without the help of other people. Would it be harder? Definitely. 

Regarding your complaints with Sea of Thieves. There's plenty of people who play that game solo and are pros at it. Just like Don't Starve Together, it's a multiplayer game than can also be played by yourself.  

On 5/21/2020 at 6:15 PM, Mike23Ua said:

this game is NOT and Never has been Multiplayer friendly.

Also, I'm sorry, but this in an insane statement. As Toros said to you, "Together" is literally in the name. Have you ever tried beating Toadstool by yourself? Trust me, that's not "single-player friendly". 

THIS Is what I want... a new type of boat better suited for Solo or Two persons- I’m not asking to remove the boat Cookie because people have fun building bases with that.. but you’d be lying if you tell me having something like this in addition to the boat Cookie.. wouldn’t be nice.

I feel like this is so utterly unnecessary. I have no issues using the current boats by myself.

Ironically, I would say that the current boats are especially perfect for solo or two players. 

image.thumb.png.ffb7056d4495b400644105983b4346c9.png

20200410054415_1.thumb.jpg.928965ac3ee47e63794d069b904d41c3.jpg

When I join public servers, I only let one or two other people onto my boat. Anymore than that, it becomes chaotic. There's not enough space and you'll eat through your food fast and won't be able to fish enough to keep your crew from starving. 

I understand you're having issues using boats by yourself on consoles. However, adding a new boat doesn't seem to be the best solution for that.

As a side question - as I've seen you complain about the consoles at large time-and-again - why don't you buy a PC @Mike23Ua? You seem to struggle with a lot of issues on your current console (whatever that may be) so why not sell it for some return-investment and buy some laptop? You will have a lot of other advantages to have a laptop/PC over some run-of-the-mill console. They are quite restrictive, can't be upgraded etc, while a laptop/desktop can be upgraded and has multiple uses. Just a thought.

59 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

As a side question - as I've seen you complain about the consoles at large time-and-again - why don't you buy a PC @Mike23Ua? You seem to struggle with a lot of issues on your current console (whatever that may be) so why not sell it for some return-investment and buy some laptop? You will have a lot of other advantages to have a laptop/PC over some run-of-the-mill console. They are quite restrictive, can't be upgraded etc, while a laptop/desktop can be upgraded and has multiple uses. Just a thought.

It’s a little more complicated then just selling my Xbox & buying a PC.

first and most important what platform do my friends play on? What console exclusives will I miss out on if I went to PC? I used to play on PC decades ago and there’s a lot of complications to factor into that. I need a Keyboard, a Mouse, a Rig with the proper specs for what I want to play, I have to worry about my machine catching viruses or using a mod that crashes my game because I’m not smart enough to figure out which mod is causing said crashing and remove it.

I bought an Xbox to play Gears of War, Halo & State of Decay.

I bought a Nintendo to play Mario, Sonic & Donkey Kong. 

I bought a PlayStation (decades ago) to play exclusives like Crash Bandicoot & Twisted Metal.

Even games that are on EVERY Platform tend to have some exclusive in game goodies that other platforms won’t have. Minecraft for example on Xbox has a downloadable character skin set to play as the cast of State of Decay.

The TL:DR- it depends entirely on what platform you prefer playing on, the exclusives you enjoy and where the people you play with the most are also gaming.

If ever a Meme belonged outside of the Maxwell Memes thread, this situation calls for it most- 

511E2B17-D5B2-4CF6-8537-EC404D7ED919.jpeg

7 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

... a new type of boat better suited for Solo or Two persons- I’m not asking to remove the boat Cookie because people have fun building bases with that.. but you’d be lying if you tell me having something like this in addition to the boat Cookie.. wouldn’t be nice.

From my experience - the current boat design is perfect for 1-2 players.  As a 2 player team you feel like a well oiled machine.  Knowing when to drop the anchor for a sharp turn, or to pulse the anchor for positioning while another player steers makes me feel like I'm part of a skilled team.  Also playing solo is both completely manageable, and at the same time just overloaded enough that you get that sorta frantic jack sparrow lone pirate sort of feeling.  I really love boating in this game both solo and with a companion!  (Also I find it really useful to have someone who can cook while I'm managing navigating, and having 2 people fishing out a deep bass spawn is a quick way to satisfy hunger needs while on boats)

The main reason I suggest to have smaller / faster boats is that the current boat design is too much investment to even get off shore.  Think tank, boat kit, mast, anchor, steering kit, patch kit = 16 boards, 7 ropes, 8 spider silk, 3 cut stone, and some stingers.  That's a heavy investment, and with just 1 sail you're probably better off walking so might as well tack on another 8 spider silk, 3 boards and 3 ropes...  Quite a shopping list.  Not that I mind the payoff!  But it takes me about 10 days just to get a good boat put together.  I can alsmost rush the ruins as quick lol XD

What I want is a cheaper, quicker boat that is suited for early exploration but NOT for prolonged use.  Sorta like the raft in SW.  It could be a total prefab kit that doesn't allow any structures placed on it.  It could even be a rowing only craft where you can't row at night because you have to hold a torch.  If it couldn't have any structures placed I would naturally build the larger cookie boat eventually because I'd want fishing bins, crock pot, bait station, and pinchin winch all with me, and once I've explored the double blue sail is gonna be much faster, but early game I might just want to try circling the map, or locating some good fishing spots so I can base in a better location to take advantage of the riches of the sea.

So what I would like to see is something like a paddle board, or wind surf board (and honestly I think adding Wilani with just crafting these as her perk would be awesome enough !)

Spoiler

paddleboard.jpg.104ead1fc95d9f269c4036d5ca151993.jpgwindsurfing.jpg.23c771138b0a2b6fc49199a68bfe4630.jpg

After that my next request is just to give us different kind of boats too, so we can have dfly scale boats that are fire proof, or boats with some marble that have high collision resistance, ect.  The boating system is great!  It just needs more variety

On 5/21/2020 at 4:41 PM, Toros said:

This definitely would work with SW style boats which are highly maneuverable but RoT boats while they can be fast with malbatross sails are too clumsy for precise maneuvers.  Paddling is too small an effect to really solve that effectively either, so to dodge attacks with current boats you'd need to have huge amounts of warning.

That said, if they massively improved turning speed boat handling could improve very quickly and dramatically.

I think them being slow is part of the challenge. I recently got into a boat battle and it was really fun. The difficulty is trying to angle your boat and try to hit them at the right moment. 

20200525063911_1.thumb.jpg.39a5ef5cd893aa7f28849411620fb2f8.jpg

20200525063921_1.thumb.jpg.5c065fcfe4ef0aabe66c96717835e8a3.jpg

I think there's two things that could be added that would work with the current boat system:

- Canons. So these wouldn't be like Shipwrecked cannons, but instead canons that only point and shoot at one direction. Meaning that you have to angle your boat correctly to get a good shot. Also, in Sea of Thieves style, it be cool if you could shoot yourself out of a canon. 

- Naval ram. Again, you'd have to angle your boat and crash into opponents boats at the right angle. These could just be like a spike that points out of your boat made of Gnarwail horns. 

There's so much that can be done. Also, despite him having two sails, he lost the battle. 

44 minutes ago, Squirrel12 said:

I think them being slow is part of the challenge. I recently got into a boat battle and it was really fun. The difficulty is trying to angle your boat and try to hit them at the right moment. 

20200525063911_1.thumb.jpg.39a5ef5cd893aa7f28849411620fb2f8.jpg

20200525063921_1.thumb.jpg.5c065fcfe4ef0aabe66c96717835e8a3.jpg

I think there's two things that could be added that would work with the current boat system:

- Canons. So these wouldn't be like Shipwrecked cannons, but instead canons that only point and shoot at one direction. Meaning that you have to angle your boat correctly to get a good shot. Also, in Sea of Thieves style, it be cool if you could shoot yourself out of a canon. 

- Naval ram. Again, you'd have to angle your boat and crash into opponents boats at the right angle. These could just be like a spike that points out of your boat made of Gnarwail horns. 

There's so much that can be done. Also, despite him having two sails, he lost the battle. 

You cannot angle the boats though. The whole point of having round boats is to not have to deal with the complexity of turning them around.

I think it'd be cool if there were cannons that you manually aimed, lit a fuse and fired after a short delay.  Then go through reloading it.  Use a gunpowder and a shot for each load, have special shots, craft a powder keg similar to a bucket of poop to make the gunpowder last.  Especially if their damage was significant, and you could fit 2-3 aiming out towards the same spot.  Getting broad side on Malbatross would mean something to that dodobird now!

Archived