Seperate Power Plant

How to Separate Power Rooms? Also you can see, Ren here boost an Coal Generator, that should never be in use and only for emergency backup. The Power Control Station in this use is unused. i like to boost active generators like the bottom ones...

I have no idea.    

image.thumb.png.e74c9351fca8f76e08b01001603d274c.png

Control the door to the room with buffer and filter gates so that after x seconds of continuous use (filter, to minimize waste) the door will be held open for y seconds (buffer, to give them time to enter).

Then add an additional door above your current one that is permitted only in the left direction so that they may always exit (no ladder needed, they can jump).

Don't build a power control station in a room with a bunch of generators that you don't plan on running all the time.  I've actually never used the power control station myself.  If I did, it would only be in a room with one petrol gen I was going to leave on all the time ( why do you have so many generators? ).

8 hours ago, Baer said:

How to Separate Power Rooms? Also you can see, Ren here boost an Coal Generator, that should never be in use and only for emergency backup. The Power Control Station in this use is unused. i like to boost active generators like the bottom ones...

I have no idea.    

image.thumb.png.e74c9351fca8f76e08b01001603d274c.png

While there's some alternative using automation to manage this, I totally agree with your point. Even if I have a power station in a power room, if this one isn't enabled, I DON'T WANT dups to come into to tune some gen. I want dup to only tune gen where power station is On. How it is in my actual base (didn't take time to put in place automated door control yet), dups are wasting time to tune NG when there's no NG in the pipe, or to tune Coal gen while I don't need the 300W bonus. They were supposed to tune only petro gen...

I know there's a priority system in place, but that doesn't prevent dup for tuning lower priority gen when others with higher priority are tuned. And managing enable/disable on the power station should help me to prevent that without having to play with doors (if dups have to go inside to do some stuff other than tuning, you would be happy to find doors always opened, and not locked because of this mechanism).

I really would like Klei to change this...

And why not a checkbox on the power station to allow or not dups to use microchips created on external generators (in other Power Room) ? That way, if someone for some reasons prefer the actual system, he would be able to keep it.

Unfortunately I think it's a side effect of how the room system works.

For example, a disabled water cooler still meets the requirement for turning a room into a great hall.

So my take on this is that a disabled power station still turns a room into a Power Plant.

And generators inside Power Plants gets tuned-up, no matter which power station actually produced the microchips.

Since disabled buildings count, I see no way of turning on/off the power plant status of the room, w/o dups buidling/destroying tiles.

That said. Just remove the power station, or open the room. The way tune ups work, it's not worth in on backup systems. It's not likely that your coal generators run continuosly for 3 cycles - ever. It would mean you're completely out of hydrogen, nat gas, petroleum for more than 3 cycles. In any other case, your coal gens are most likely to be stopped. They may be engaged for a little while to counter spikes in power demand (only if out of petroleum, that's 12kW of petro gens there). The tune-up lasts 3 cycles no matter anyway even if the gens are not used.

Basicly, it's not worth it (not only the refined metal cost, it's the dup labor cost) on generators that are not running constantly. A large battery bank may help in having constantly running generators tho. Your H2 gens may be able to power the whole grid, with the batteries taking care of spikes.

Uff, that's a little uncomfortable to read. The Idea whas, to let Hydrogen run all the time. So my power starts to rising, because of industrial stuff, the natural gas kicks in, when the batteries hit the 60% mark. for later one i try to do petrolium boiler/craps farm with ethanol and that should provid a large amount of power for my endgame stuff. Ok, i have tons over tons off unused lead to use for that. Unfortunately it doesn't work like i wish it should be. 

i tried to put the power control on some automatic, but my dupes ignoring it, so i have to go for the doors. My inner child really wants to see it work like that. :D

17 minutes ago, Baer said:

Uff, that's a little uncomfortable to read. The Idea whas, to let Hydrogen run all the time. So my power starts to rising, because of industrial stuff, the natural gas kicks in, when the batteries hit the 60% mark.

Then put the PCS in the hydrogen room since they are running all the time, and don't put one in the NG or coal room since they are only for backup and so won't run much.  If at some point you decide you have say, too much coal on your hands, you can make it kick on before the hydrogen gens and re build the PCS in that room for a while until you have burned off some of your coal stock, then take the PCS back out.

The same thing happens with the farm station.  They can make the stuff in one room but will take it to another with a disabled station.

18 hours ago, Baer said:

Uff, that's a little uncomfortable to read. The Idea whas, to let Hydrogen run all the time. So my power starts to rising, because of industrial stuff, the natural gas kicks in, when the batteries hit the 60% mark. for later one i try to do petrolium boiler/craps farm with ethanol and that should provid a large amount of power for my endgame stuff. Ok, i have tons over tons off unused lead to use for that. Unfortunately it doesn't work like i wish it should be. 

i tried to put the power control on some automatic, but my dupes ignoring it, so i have to go for the doors. My inner child really wants to see it work like that. :D

Unfortunately, backup generators don't play well with tuneups. Only the main ones.

Tuneups uses mainly are:

- a small group on gens with a large battery bank... the gens are running almost continuosly to recharge the batteries - think of bunker doors and one single coal gen... huge power spike that drains the batteries, the gen slowly recharging them... basicly the gen never stops

- geothermal power, self regulating steam turbines constantly at 849W... they never stop. Note that this can be done the other way, large steam heat battery and turbines are activated on demand just like any fuel-based generator.  But if you decide to let them run, tuneups make a lot of sense

- industrial saunas (a kind of artificial geothermal)... not only it's power positive but it can be a power brick too.

- 10kg/s petroleum boiler + 5 constantly running gens: you want to burn the petroleum at a rate of 10kg/s non stop. Possibly a lot of wasted power, but if not, tuneups can help.

That are good suggestions, but i think i ditch the idea of mine for now. finally my second attempt with petroleum boiler on a new map works now and nothing horrible happens this time. i have enough volcanoes on my map for an second boiler and i think two or three geothermal energy. it whas an idea for mid game to stretch hydrogen and natural gas, but i never needed it really. 

Archived