harsh seasons and the boat life (advice pls?)

So I've been enjoying boat life more and more with these updates, but I am pretty apprehensive about summer / winter on boats.  Mostly because the boat gets so cluttered with stuff that I just can't fit everything I need on it...

What are the structures you build onto your boats for dealing with winter / summer?  Do you just make a different boat for each with the structures needed for the season?

Also for anyone building boat bases, can you share your base designs?

Also any other tips for livin the boat life?  While I'm enjoying living on boats, and boating, I am probably overlooking some cool stuff, so just any general suggestions / tips are appreciated ^_^

1 minute ago, Shosuko said:

So I've been enjoying boat life more and more with these updates, but I am pretty apprehensive about summer / winter on boats.  Mostly because the boat gets so cluttered with stuff that I just can't fit everything I need on it...

What are the structures you build onto your boats for dealing with winter / summer?  Do you just make a different boat for each with the structures needed for the season?

Also for anyone building boat bases, can you share your base designs?

Also any other tips for livin the boat life?  While I'm enjoying living on boats, and boating, I am probably overlooking some cool stuff, so just any general suggestions / tips are appreciated ^_^

Usually for summer, I’d recommend to put up at least 1 ice flingomatic, and they also work great for hound waves! Since they can swim and fire hounds can spawn...

For winter, I say you should start building up food supply, if you have a crockpot, you can use the monster meat from hound waves for any dishes. Berry bushes can’t be planted, but I think farms can. So your options for food would be: Mushroom planter, bee boxes, farms, and maybe some other stuff. 

Also, you should make items to prevent freezing or overheating!

Personally I have an entire separate boat for summer.
which is literally the same as my other boat, but with a endo fire instead of a regular one

But this is because I havent been able to catch many of the winter and summer fish.
What you can do is instead of using a fire pit, you can instead make a mushlight or glowcap on your boat (plus it needs less space)
for light, and to keep yourself warm or cool, you can have a tin fishin bin with 6 ice breams and 6 scorching sunfish. Holding one in your inventory acts like a thermal stone, and once it gets close to dying, just pop it back into the tin fishin bin to recharge and grab a different one!
Just be sure to bring some luxury fans with you during summer to help control fires.

1 minute ago, Shosuko said:

• Winter: Fire Pit + Thermal Stone (Use the Fire Pit during night for light & to heat up your Thermal Stone)
  • Spring: Lightning Rod (A single Lightning will burn your whole boat)
  • Summer: Ice Box + 2x Thermal Stone + Lureplant (Put one Thermal in your Ice Box and the other one in your inventory, swap them over time; The Lureplant is for Wildfires, keep an eye on it and extinguish it once it starts smoldering. Luxury Fan or Water Balloons can help in case of fire)

I actually do build just a single boat for every season which always includes Lightning Rod, Crock Pot, Alchemy Engine and Fire Pit. Structures like Birdcage, Shadow Manipulator, Endothermic Fire Pit, or Ice Flingomatic will make your life easier, but aren't that much necessary.

Well, as for summer I do know that according to the new patch notes, we don't have to worry about Antlion SKIN holes on your boat anymore...

;)  (sorry but that's just too funny/creepy a typo to ignore.  heh.)

I've got a major question:  How the heck do you FIGHT on boats?!  People do it all the time, even huge boss-fights...but you've got hardly any room to move!  How do you dodge/kite, how do you deal with being _swarmed_ on all sides (aka the most inevitable and frequent combat that happens in Don't Starve:  HOUND ATTACKS)...you can't fit a large tooth-trap field on a boat...

I really just can't picture myself on a boat being swarmed by _any_ hostiles without a lot of musical "OUCH!" sounds overlapping each other, a last sad down-note, and a ghost floating over a pile o' stuff. (And since I play alone:  a countdown timer ticking...)  It..it doesn't work, in my mind.  Can't move + attacked = death. 

Seriously, what do you do? I actually don't know.  It's one of the major reasons I haven't really been boating yet.  I've got the "Blaze of Glory*" kitted out (with the bare-bones basics) for every season _but_ summer, more or less, but it's been just anchored off the nearest coast for a long time.

...Notorious

*Yep, I officially named it.  Got a sign and everything.  The sign is where the plank would normally go, but, hey...  Also it's bad luck to go to sea in an unnamed vessel, and whlie I don't actually believe in that I _do_ like naming things...so I named it after how it'll probably die.  See also:  "Camp One-Foot-in-the-Grave" and why I call every smallbird "Morsel".  : P

14 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Well, as for summer I do know that according to the new patch notes, we don't have to worry about Antlion SKIN holes on your boat anymore...

I've got a major question:  How the heck do you FIGHT on boats?!  People do it all the time, even huge boss-fights...but you've got hardly any room to move!  How do you dodge/kite, how do you deal with being _swarmed_ on all sides (aka the most inevitable and frequent combat that happens in Don't Starve:  HOUND ATTACKS)...you can't fit a large tooth-trap field on a boat...

I really just can't picture myself on a boat being swarmed by _any_ hostiles without a lot of musical "OUCH!" sounds overlapping each other, a last sad down-note, and a ghost floating over a pile o' stuff. (And since I play alone:  a countdown timer ticking...)  It..it doesn't work, in my mind.  Can't move + attacked = death. 

Seriously, what do you do? I actually don't know.  It's one of the major reasons I haven't really been boating yet.  I've got the "Blaze of Glory*" kitted out (with the bare-bones basics) for every season _but_ summer, more or less, but it's been just anchored off the nearest coast for a long time.

...Notorious

*Yep, I officially named it.  Got a sign and everything.  The sign is where the plank would normally go, but, hey...  Also it's bad luck to go to sea in an unnamed vessel, and whlie I don't actually believe in that I _do_ like naming things...so I named it after how it'll probably die.  See also:  "Camp One-Foot-in-the-Grave" and why I call every smallbird "Morsel".  : P

Some people who base on boats might have many boats close to each other for space to put more things, but when basing on 1 boat, oh boy, that’s quite a problem, especially during hound waves.. 

10 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

...Notorious

Well - Hounds don't spawn on you if you are already on a boat.  So as long as you're out at sea you don't actually get the hound waves.  The only time you need to worry about them swimming up on your boat is if they triggered before you launched.  Basically they can chase you to your boat, but never leave it and hounds aren't a problem.

This is actually one of the main reasons I'm loving boat life.  I spend Autumn on a boat base so I don't have to worry about autumn hounds as much.

The fights you do have like Malbatross and Gnarwail are designed for boats, and while maneuvering can be a bit difficult that's part of the fight.  If these fights were on land they would be ridiculously easy.  Skittersquids are passive, and I never fight them.  Not sure why I would...  They are beautiful to look at and I'm always glad to see them.

Also - now I feel bad for never naming my boats T_T

THANK you!  I had seen hounds swimming up to boats and I was like, "How does that work, not-dying-wise...?"  

How do you hook more than one boat together? Do they MOVE together, or is it a _static_ boat-base?  I'm not sure of that either.

I don't really want to go around attacking things that don't attack me, either (unless they're easy-to-kill and delicious--sorry, rabbits.  Or mean and delicious.  Not sorry, frogs) so I have no interest in starting fights with the skittersquids, either.  Besides, they're my neighbors right next door over at my secondary base ("The Summer Lounge") and have always had the best of manners!

And, ya don't have to feel bad about not naming your boat--I think very few players do.  I think very few people even THOUGHT to name the boat via sign and then try to place said sign on the boat itself.  So don't worry.  I just did that because I felt like it.  : P

...Notorious  

1 minute ago, CaptainChaotica said:

THANK you!  I had seen hounds swimming up to boats and I was like, "How does that work, not-dying-wise...?"  

How do you hook more than one boat together? Do they MOVE together, or is it a _static_ boat-base?  I'm not sure of that either.

I don't really want to go around attacking things that don't attack me, either (unless they're easy-to-kill and delicious--sorry, rabbits.  Or mean and delicious.  Not sorry, frogs) so I have no interest in starting fights with the skittersquids, either.  Besides, they're my neighbors right next door over at my secondary base ("The Summer Lounge") and have always had the best of manners!

And, ya don't have to feel bad about not naming your boat--I think very few players do.  I think very few people even THOUGHT to name the boat via sign and then try to place said sign on the boat itself.  So don't worry.  I just did that because I felt like it.  : P

...Notorious  

Well, I once saw this video of a youtuber building a boat base, they finished each boat and when then rowed each boat close to each other and lowered the anchor on each boat. That way they are close together and won’t move away.

On 4/28/2020 at 4:19 AM, Well-met said:

You don't need a flingo for a summer boat. Just bring moose fans in your chest(s)

Fun Fact, something i found out is if you wear an eyebrella all summer, you wont overheat if you use a luxury fan each time something smoulders

I've been using the same setup all year round: Anchor, Steering Wheel, Firepit, Pinchin' Winch, 2 Chests, Ice Box, Crock Pot, 1 Tin Fishin' Bin, 3 Masts and 1 Ice Flingomatic.

Use the Firepit to warm yourself and your thermal stone during Winter. (You only really need 1 thermal stone, since you're always gonna be close to the fire.) Use the Ice Flingomatic to extinguish any fires that may occur from stray lightning bolts during Spring.

As for Summer... I've just spent the first 10 days of it sailing and it's been the most fun summer I've had so far. No more holing up in the caves and waiting for it all to blow over. The closeness of things on the boat means you don't have to keep the ice flingomatic running 24/7; you can turn it on when something starts smoldering and turn it off afterwards (or at dusk/night, when smoldering does not happen anyway). Or if the boat is moving too fast for the snowballs to catch up, you can just stop the smoldering yourself for a tiny health cost. The penalty is pretty negligible when you can easily make Surf n Turf from Skitter Squids/Cookie Cutters and fish. As for keeping cool, I just do the good ol' thermal stone in an icebox switcheroo.

7 hours ago, QuartzBeam said:

Surf n Turf from Skitter Squids/Cookie Cutters and fish

I generally don't give boats that much attention but now as the update is ocean related I am trying to stay more on boat but the main problem that I am facing is unable to catch fish. small fish is ok but in ocean most of them are large fish which are very hard to catch. The most annoying part is that if you fail the bait and the lures, both are gone with the fish. i used spinner bait on someone's suggestion and heavy weighted lure but all are gone.

58 minutes ago, sovon9 said:

I generally don't give boats that much attention but now as the update is ocean related I am trying to stay more on boat but the main problem that I am facing is unable to catch fish. small fish is ok but in ocean most of them are large fish which are very hard to catch. The most annoying part is that if you fail the bait and the lures, both are gone with the fish. i used spinner bait on someone's suggestion and heavy weighted lure but all are gone.

For fishing - its a bit of a mini game, but basically if the fish is swimming away from you don't press anything.  Wait until the fish swims towards you to reel them in.  Do this and you shouldn't lose your tackle much at all.  You can also tell by your character's posture.  When they are holding the rod up tight don't click, wait until they lower the rod back down.

6 hours ago, sovon9 said:

When fishing these bois, they'll put up a fight. Remember to not be on the brink of starving or have a fire lit when its almost night because catching these take a while. It'll be a tug of war between you and the fish so to lessen the time it takes to reel them in try to have the fish bite your lure as close to the boat as possible, sometimes you can even pull them out as soon as they bite!

Do you all start out rushing boats?  Or do you typically build a base on land first before moving to the seas?

I find that when I rush a boat I am ill prepared for winter...  but if I don't rush the boat its a full year before I feel I can put down the normal routine and get sailing.  idk what a comfortable middle ground is, what bosses would you recommend hitting up for boating, and what ones do you think you can pass on?

2 hours ago, Shosuko said:

Do you all start out rushing boats?  Or do you typically build a base on land first before moving to the seas?

I find that when I rush a boat I am ill prepared for winter...  but if I don't rush the boat its a full year before I feel I can put down the normal routine and get sailing.  idk what a comfortable middle ground is, what bosses would you recommend hitting up for boating, and what ones do you think you can pass on?

I’d suggest to make a base on land to survive winter or to prepare things for your boat, and then start making your base. As for bosses, I don’t think they are that big of a deal for sailing. Malbatross can give you a better sail, but it’s up to you if you want to fight it.

5 hours ago, Shosuko said:

Because I play with a group, we usually have survived about a year before i start my boat. During that time, I start building the "dock" (because we usually do large decorated mega bases)
Once I finish with that, I will build my own boat that usually just has the basic boat base items. Like a fire, lightning rod, crock pot, fridge, cockpit, and chests. I use this to explore the ocean a bit and find the lunar island and hermit island (the latter of which is super easy, just need to find a bottle)
after we survive a bit more in the world, we usually have killed all the bosses by year 2. so we will have mushlights and malbatross sails i can use to make an even better boat that I can use to sail year round.
For bosses I would say you would like to fight would be Toadstool for glowcaps/mushlights, Malbatross for winged sails, and crab king for the trident (its not needed, its just a good weapon that you will get easily if you sail often)
Now this is just me, but i would actually recommend against a scaled furnace on a boat, due to it causing over heating in late spring and early autumn, and all summer.  Some people like it for the infinite light, but the light it gives is so small, that you couldnt sail with it, much less access half your boat if its to the side.
its around year three where I have finally gotten everything I need to really live year round on my boat, then its smooth sailing from there till my wifi hiccups for 0.1 second and i get disconnected while my boat is moving and it crashes into the edge of the earth never to be seen again

Archived