What to do with energy?

Dear all,

I just build Oil Well and it is connected to water geyser, while the output crude oil is directed to Crude_Oil - Cold_Petroleum converter of my design. Converter is working with highest performance when no interruptions occurs. Now I have like 10000 kg petroleum every 11 cycle or so. However my base is powered by Natural Gas Generators from two natural gas geysers so in fact I have no desire for more power. Even with LO2 and LH2 generators enabled I need no more power.

Looking through forum I found that most of You aims for 12-15kw constant power source. My total max output is 9800 kw while true average output is about 4-5kw.
Since I am at the end of the game (cycle 1400+) I would like to focus on some interesting designs that would required more power. I COULD start from installing other Oil Wells (three more) if I would need more petroleum, but it is pointless yet. So... what to do with energy or petroleum? Could You, please, recommend some more power required designs?

Best regards,
Sheaker

My favorite semi-pointless endgame design that sucks up power is to clean up gasses on the base by simply freezing everything. At the bottom of the asteroid, rig up a supercoolant cooling loop and run it through open air at the end of your main elevator shafts (seal off the oil biome beforehand!). If you cool fast enough, all of the air that touches the loop will instantly freeze and become debris. Floating pockets of chlorine? They disappear in solid debris, ready to be moved to where they need to go. CO2 become dry ice and safely locked away for when you need them.

No more messy gas layers, forever. Hopefully you have climate controlled zones for anything that can't take ultra cold temperatures. 

I will think of if it but as I see I have no problem with gases. Bottom part is full of CO2 (for wild slicksters), middle part full of oxygen and top part is hydrogen. Chlorine barely exist in my main base most likely due to wild pufts living there. They are removing chlorine if appears.

Running a huge amount of rockets is pretty energy hungry. Usually, when I get to the late game, I run as many rockets as my water/sec allos. This means a lot of power in LOX/LH (although you get much of it back through steam turbines).

High end recreational buildings consume A LOT of power, even though they don't work full time.

Another project hilariously power hungry and not really worth it isconverting the CO2 you get from your power buildings into Pdirt (throough water sieve-carbon skimmers loops) for pokeshells. You are looking at more then 2kW per 8 pokeshells when taking everything into account, all just for a bit of steel.

The main "issue" for you is that most late game projects include steam turbine - aquatuner setups, that basically consume no power when running supercoolant.

I guess self-imposed limits can make things harder powerwise, like not using supercoolant unless necessary.

Finally, I had a thought about a self made challange: I like playing or rime because it has almost everything, but the cold isn't really a challange at any point. So i was thinking about building some aquatuner setups that would be on almost all the time: their aim is just freezing everything and working as doomsday cold machines. Cold would slowly creep around and you would have to find countermeasures. I admit it might not be really challanging but i like the apocalyptic idea.

16 hours ago, psusi said:

You and me both.  On my last world I never burned petrol for power; I only used it to launch rockets.

I think I never, ever burned petroleum for power so far, except in some brief experiments. For lack of new content, I recently tried to do a non-volcano petroleum boiler, but I do not need it and the first attempt was a spectacular failure (I know where the problems are though). 

My current long-term base (cycle 7000 or so) consumes around 5kW, all nicely supplied via Solar and 2 NatGas Geysers.

4 hours ago, suxkar said:

Another project hilariously power hungry and not really worth it isconverting the CO2 you get from your power buildings into Pdirt (throough water sieve-carbon skimmers loops) for pokeshells. You are looking at more then 2kW per 8 pokeshells when taking everything into account, all just for a bit of steel.

Huh?  To burn that much power you would need 3 water sieves and 15 carbon skimmers.  That would need 9 petrol gens to supply that much CO2.  Wow.

1 hour ago, psusi said:

Huh?  To burn that much power you would need 3 water sieves and 15 carbon skimmers.  That would need 9 petrol gens to supply that much CO2.  Wow.

Almost. I never said it was reasonable! I am more then aware that it's complete overkil!:grin:

12 minutes ago, lee1026 said:

Producing CO2 via power plants will always make more energy then it uses. That won't really work.

What you need to do is to harvest space CO2 and scrub-sieve those. 

May be I'm not seeing something, but in what I described you need power to move either the CO2 or the pdirt, automate material supply and power various sieves/skimmers. The output is just steel (after more power consumed for refinement). I fail to see the energy regain!

2 hours ago, suxkar said:

Almost. I never said it was reasonable! I am more then aware that it's complete overkil!:grin:

May be I'm not seeing something, but in what I described you need power to move either the CO2 or the pdirt, automate material supply and power various sieves/skimmers. The output is just steel (after more power consumed for refinement). I fail to see the energy regain!

The usual way to generate CO2 is to burn fossil fuels. Burning fossil fuels will generate power far in excess of what cleaning up the CO2 would cost, so the harder you try to make CO2, the more power you have.

2 hours ago, lee1026 said:

The usual way to generate CO2 is to burn fossil fuels. Burning fossil fuels will generate power far in excess of what cleaning up the CO2 would cost, so the harder you try to make CO2, the more power you have.

Ahhhhh, I get what you mean. It was actually obvious, sorry I'm dumb :grin: of course you are right. Then, I'm suggesting a very expensive way of getting rid the waste, to balance the fact that its production was favourable in the first place!

Archived