[Showcase] GetNerfedOn's Dragonfruit

7 hours ago, gaymime said:

so how long until they are ripe? do you know what percentage of fruits make it to full development?

28 days more. Also, so far, all of the flowers i've had have fruited provided you ensure proper care and fertilization.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, gaymime said:

you can get a pair of large dishes, put something in the middle that is heavy and stable, fill the dishes with water until they are full just under the height of the heavy thing then put your plants on top as a water barrier

The problem is that:

- there are plenty of electric and tv wires that cross the fruits from above providing pathways for the ants

- the plants themselves are insanely heavy

- even if i could lift them they'd probably break the dishes

The best I can do now is spray the plants down :/

1 minute ago, GetNerfedOn said:

The problem is that:

- there are plenty of electric and tv wires that cross the fruits from above providing pathways for the ants

- the plants themselves are insanely heavy

- even if i could lift them they'd probably break the dishes

The best I can do now is spray the plants down :/

applying poisons will render them unsafe for consumption and may stunt the plants' growth

59 minutes ago, gaymime said:

applying poisons will render them unsafe for consumption and may stunt the plants' growth

true this; hence why i'm resorting to diluted lemon juice

although significantly less effective, it's still better than nothing

that is fair. i do know that some species of ants abhor clove. we use it in our garden(it deters larger creatures too). if you could tolerate the smell then clove oil is a possibility, just rub it on the outside of the pots every few days(or after it rains)

• Thanks 1

Thanks for sharing! I have never seen a dragon fruit irl (they are really rare in my country and havent even found them on supermarkets). Now i know what they look like!

Also big props to your writing, really enjoyed reading your story with the fruit! Also, i can totally relate with things not going the way i planned but congrats for being persistent! 

• Thanks 1

Hi everyone! Sit back, cos Nerfed has another story for you :)

Spoiler

IMG20200516125825.thumb.jpg.4561d43492b791c344a5801a4fa7e9b9.jpg

As you may have seen, I harbor more than one dragonfruit plant, actually. There are two more further out there on the background, growing on our television antenna's pole! There's also more growing on the other side of the house, atop our comfort room's roof!

So why don't i talk about them often, and why do they not bear flowers like big Betsy in the foreground? 

The plant in the middle, leaning right against the TV pole was one of the original plants which was attacked several times with the strange, white-spotted mildew-like disease. Several times have I had to cut away so much of its rotting mass riddled with disease, and thus it has not gained enough capacity to bear fruit yet... But it's been growing strong recently and that's been giving me hope :)

The rightmost plant has quite the story to it. I originally found the poor thing some time 2018 as a broken branch sitting sadly in the garbage bin outside a house. Upon closer inspection of said house's yard, I spotted the main plant quite broken and bent in a weird angle to the ground with a rather small bamboo stick supporting it. As I assume, the owners had tried to grow the dragonfruit too, but had failed because their trellis was a mere stick, too small to support the full might of a dragonfruit. In sum, as I could see, the plant eventually grew WAY larger than the owners anticipated, and eventually buckled and snapped on its own weight, which, i assumed, made the owners discard it, leading to my discovery.

As they say, one man's trash is another man's fortune.

This beauty was an entirely different species from my dragonfruit, with way thicker, sap-filled, firmer branches with curved margins to its ribs rather than the usual hornlike ones, so i took it home and replanted it, and it's grown strong in the two years I've had it. (Thank God for the blessed dragonfruit trait called asexual reproduction!) Finally, recently it bore a bud, but said bud was dislodged after some mishaps caused the TV pole to fall. Thankfully, no branches were broken. However, the sap has made it the current primary target of ants so I must be extra careful dealing with it.

The prospect of documenting this entirely new variant is exciting, to be honest. Will it have entirely differently colored fruit? Will it have a sweeter taste? Will it need cross pollination? The possibilities are endless!

Finally, the dragonfruits atop my comfort room are cuttings from all three plants planted late last year. They've been growing very strongly as of now, with branches flying strong.

Hopefully, by next year, all my plants get a shot at flowering :) 

• Like 7
  • Potato Cup 2

Report:

I decided to climb to the roof of the CR where our cacti resides - and just in time:

backup.thumb.jpg.fad19636eca5a55a664984f0d2c6a590.jpgIMG20200825172242.thumb.jpg.30daa0bbd0ffb4ab924783a55018e1a6.jpg

Those white spots we see are the disease which has plagued me ever since I've begun my forays into dragonfruit, claiming many branches and even entire plamts when I was still learning how to deal with it.

I first thought spraying alone with various soaps and dissolved baking soda would work, but it didnt. So now I've resorted to manually brushing the cacti with a toothbrush while spraying with the soap, and it's worked so much better.

Thankfully I spotted these branches in the early stages of the disease - if left unchecked, the white spots spread everywhere and rot the branch, turning it a squishy, mushy yellow.

Edited by GetNerfedOn
  • Like 5
  • Sad Dupe 2

just a quick update to prevent this thread from falling into the abyss of archived threads:

If you may have noticed in photos, Betsy (the dragonfruit plant which managed to flower) has been rather severely thin as of late, owing to my laziness in watering her :/ however, as the rainy season has begun, we've moved her slightly forward to a spot where she'll receive rainfall, and it's done the trick. Now her branches are all thick and healthy again :) the other dragonfruit at thriving as well. Will send photos once the internet returns

Edited by GetNerfedOn
  • Like 2
  • GL Happy 2