What does fishing work for? (hook line and inker update)

I'm a huge fan of fish in any game and i know this update came a long time ago but i didn't have time so i'm looking into this hook line and inker update
The weight of fishes work for something?  (i'm thinking maybe exchange for something like with pig king, maybe next update)

59 minutes ago, Pab10Suarez said:

The weight of fishes work for something?  (i'm thinking maybe exchange for something like with pig king, maybe next update)

Not yet, hopefully in future updates like you mention. At very least, heavier fishes should grant better rewards from the Merm King, being so pet-fish loving and all.

As others have said, it’s primarily for bragging rights.

As for the mechanic itself, I don’t mind it too much. I kinda like it even for solo play, as it is a nice random activity to do when you are bored.

Fun fact: the source of the fish actually does track it from sources that are not actually fished up by players (for instance, if you hammered a merm house and put the resulting fish in the tank, it shows the source is from a ”family of merms”). As a result, there is actually a lot of different variations for the standard fish.

The new fishing mechanics are mostly used as a fun side thing. That being said, there is a legitimate albeit inefficient incentive to ocean fish to survive. Not only does the sea fishing rod never degrade so that you can fish indefinitely without having to worry about needing more silk; the ocean fishes exist year-round. During winter when all the ponds are frozen, your only options to get fish are either killing merms, fishing eels in the caves, or ocean fishing. Additionally, unlike the other 2 options, ocean fishing allows you to store your live fish indefinitely thanks to the easy-to-make Tin Fishin' Bin. 

Just to be clear though, ocean fishing is extremely inefficient without at least 1 of the 3 spoon lures, and the only way to craft them is to create a tackle receptacle which requires you to catch big ocean fishes in the first place. Even with these lures, it's a relatively slow process; nevertheless, it's one of the most fun things you can do during your down time all while helping the base. If you have a knowledgeable Warly and Wormwood at base, ocean fishing is a legitimate survival job because fish is a vital ingredient for one of Warly's best stat dishes called Moqueca. Ocean fishing allows you to mass-produce this dish any time you want because of the infinite fish storage and ability to catch fish during Winter. 

Again, ocean fishing is a very slow process and not at all worth it in most survival situations. However, it's a fun pastime and a legitimate survival strategy in niche situations if you have a silk problem and have a Warly and Wormwood (and, ideally, a Wicker to mass-produce Wormwood crops). 

I am almost 99.9% positive the weight of a fish will matter in the "She Sells Seashells" update. My theory? You will trade oceanic fishes and trinkets for different items, and the type/weight of the fish will be a main part of determining what you get. 

At least that's what I hope; to be honest I'm not sure if it will ever matter beyond bragging rights, but this upcoming return of them update may give more practical use out of fishing.

30 minutes ago, Owlrus98 said:

I am almost 99.9% positive the weight of a fish will matter in the "She Sells Seashells" update. My theory? You will trade oceanic fishes and trinkets for different items, and the type/weight of the fish will be a main part of determining what you get. 

At least that's what I hope; to be honest I'm not sure if it will ever matter beyond bragging rights, but this upcoming return of them update may give more practical use out of fishing.

yeah i was thinking that this thing is some kind of island

rot_silhouette_beta_1.png

Or maybe it will be in a new ocean biome

4 hours ago, Pab10Suarez said:

yeah i was thinking that this thing is some kind of island

rot_silhouette_beta_1.png

Or maybe it will be in a new ocean biome

To me it looks like a giant hermit crab; my guess is that it moves around, and you have to find it somewhere in the ocean.

20 hours ago, Owlrus98 said:

To me it looks like a giant hermit crab; my guess is that it moves around, and you have to find it somewhere in the ocean.

Oh damn . You are right it definitely looks like a crab. I was really hoping for new islands :wilson_cry:. Oh well.

Archived