Hello, I just got dst yesterday, and I'm looking for a friendly server to play with people.

Dedicated servers run by groups are your best bet, as they have a way to report griefers and are monitored by a staff team, such as the "Diverse Survivors" group.

If you play on a Klei pub, you can have a similar experience, but you run a greater risk of a griefing player, as those servers are never monitored.

It's actually not the most decent idea to join random hosted games, as 2-1 you will get kicked instantly because people are too dumb to set passwords.

5 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Welcome to the forums.., Have fun playing the game, but probably the most important piece of advice I can give you is don’t let anyone tell you how you should or should not be playing an open world Sandbox game.

Mike as always I really like your comment.

As to the thread. I agree with @Canis. I would catagorize the servers like this:

dedicated Klei official server - those are the best performance-wise. If you played offline or in LAN before, you would feel a noticeable change in the game once you play online regarding performance of the game and lag. You will pick stuff a bit slower. Kiting would be a bit harder and you would sometimes miss hits that otherwise should be hits. However those are quite ignorable since the game has a certain system in place to prevent how annoying lag is. Might be annoying first minutes, but quickly gets forgotten. In Klei servers lag is minimal. There is a problem in those however in sense that they aren't regulated by mods and admins. They are kinda wild-west. The most common type of grief is a player joining in and burning things. Its not very common but playing enough games you will come across this.

dedicated group servers - Those wont be as lag-free as the Klei servers, but they are monitored and have admins. If a person griefs too many times he gets banned for good, which makes griefers much less of an issue in those.

Dedicated servers owned by random people - some people may rent a server for thier own use. Usually they aren't as monitored as the group servers, and the admin may sometimes abuse his power (basically he place in sand-box mode).

Non-dedicated servers - Those are servers opened through one of the players. Those are less recommanded as it will stop running and kick everyone inside once the original host leaves.

5 minutes ago, meepmoop said:

Non-dedicated servers - Those are servers opened through one of the players. Those are less recommended as it will stop running and kick everyone inside once the original host leaves.

These are the only types of servers available to you if you are playing on the Xbox One.

Which makes me question if the Gorge or Forge was ever even functional on the Xbox One at all (I know for a fact that I NEVER got to participate in either of those events.. but I also spent most my time playing single player DS Shipwrecked... Maybe Someone else on Xbox knows 100% for sure if the events ever even ran on Xbox?)

13 hours ago, Jacky Frosty said:

Hello. As the title says, I just got this awesome game and I am sometimes playing with a friend. I am looking to join a server with other people when he is not around, and even maybe join sometimes with him as well.

Welcome to the forums! There's a place specifically dedicated for finding other people to play with over here: https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/forum/80-dont-starve-together-server-bulletin

Hi and welcome to the forums! As others have stated before there are some downsides in joining self-hosted servers BUT sometimes you come across servers specifically created for those who are still learning the basics (it's stated in the server name/description), and they usually are self-hosted. In my experience those servers tend to be really nice and more forgiving for mistakes. You get to learn things with people near your own skill-level and all more experinced players who join there should be really understanding and maybe even willing to teach you. If you have decent internet connection and hardware you could even host a server like this yourself.

Next time you try to find people to play with, you should tell your preferred playing time and your time zone and/or country you're from, so others know if playing with you is possible. :)

One tip i can give you to fully enjoy the game: dont read the wiki or watch youtube guides. Take your time to learn, evolve your skill, grow up playing. Gives satisfaction the way you evolve here, you will die a lot but every time you die you will learn something. Also, if you watch guides you will get tired of the game sooner. Now maybe autum its difficult, then will be winter, etc. When you had played enough you will laugh remembering running away from bosses meanwhile you look after raid bosses.

The game have thousen of hours of stuff and more if you play step by step.

Ofc when you played a lot but you still stuck in something or just wanna know how something works, read some wiki or watch some tutorial to keep discovering stuff but careful with spoiling to much or the surprise factor will be killed

This game its based in scientific metod, trial and mistake.

Welcome to the forums and pls enjoy this awesome game :)

Thank you everyone for the feedback, as well as the warm welcome. I will check the link provided earlier for servers. My fried played this game before, so he knows a few tricks to keep us alive, however he did not take in consideration one small detail, me. I have managed to singlehandedly kill him 4 times. It appears that I was not supposed to plant spiders so close to our base, and 6 of them at that. Had lots of fun nevertheless. 

2 minutes ago, Jacky Frosty said:

Thank you everyone for the feedback, as well as the warm welcome. I will check the link provided earlier for servers. My fried played this game before, so he knows a few tricks to keep us alive, however he did not take in consideration one small detail, me. I have managed to singlehandedly kill him 4 times. It appears that I was not supposed to plant spiders so close to our base, and 6 of them at that. Had lots of fun nevertheless. 

That is what i meant, you now know that plant spider dens near its bad idea xD

enjoy every death :D

6 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

One tip: Don’t read the wiki or watch youtube guides. Take your time to learn, Ofc when you played a lot but you still stuck in something or just wanna know how something works, read some wiki or watch some tutorial to keep discovering stuff but careful with spoil

Unfortunately you have no choice BUT to look some things up on a Wiki.. because it appears that Klei does not design this game For players who do not follow the Wiki..

Case in point: I would have NEVER Learned you can make chairs in DST by throwing a very specific amount of items into an Ancient Chest down in the Ruins.. a Simple common every day cosmetic item and yet.. if you did not look that up on a Wiki page you’d never know how to craft them.

The game doesn’t provide any hints.. no tips, your just placed in a world and Bam.. Good Luck!

I play this game without looking crap up online as much as I possibly can (it’s just a billion times more fun when you don’t know exactly where to go or what to do..)

Again Case in Point: I actually learned how to Summon the BEE QUEEN NOT by reading about it on some wiki page but because I happened to be playing as Willow at the time and I did exactly what her quote when she examines it says.

Thats something I learned IN THE GAME, BY MYSELF With only the game itself to provide slight hints to me about.

NOT Reading a Wiki & then Going to this exact spot: Throw these exact items over into an Ancient Chest, receive Chair Blueprint.

(I give huge kudos to whoever originally discovered that was possible simply just through playing the game.. because it’s something your likely NEVER going to learn on your own.)

1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

you didnt understand me. I recommend to dont read wiki/guides at beguining, when you know the basic go ahead. Happend to me too when a new reing arrives, i dont know what the hell do with marble pieces but i was busy enough trying to survive. When i get at the point of surviving the whole year easy i start to search for information about these (and because all the things i tried wasnt correct). This doesnt mean that you will eat a huge spoiler for looking how many damage a mob does or a recipe for a food that you dont want to waste in meatballs. 

But if you start this game and the 1st thing you do its to watch a guide of kitting every enemy, how to survive every season with the best gear, etc. all you will not enjoy all the hilarious noob mistakes that this game offers. A game that you can enjoy for more than 1000h could be boring in less than half (think about that this game "only"offers content for like 40 hours doing all perfect per game).

Also Wilson its so useful for beguinners for his quotes, as you said, character gives hints of the use of some stuff.  Its the scientific part of this game, trial and error.

At the end, this its an advice, everybody can enjoy this game in the way they pleases

Archived