Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

Hornete

Whirlpools

I think Whirlpools would be a really cool and neat addition to the game! I love the idea of an entire team rowing against the force of the Whirlpool to try and get out, or even using the Whirlpool as an assist to boost yourself!

They could spawn from Antlion out in the water or just spawn randomly.

What do you think about Whirlpools in the game?

I like this idea a lot, it would be a good fit for the game and would add content to the water.

On top of whirlpools spread across the ocran, maybe introduce a biome/area in the ocean that is riddled with whirlpools making navigation extremely difficult/risky. It would also contain valuable resources/mats for those brave enough/skilled enough to navigate it.

I'd like it, but only if whirlpools are caused by Antlion, which would make Antlion more of a threat. But if they're a thing year-round, I think it would make sailing annoying.

Also, what if you're all alone on a raft, stuck in a whirlpool, with no friends and no more wood to make more sails? Would you be stuck there for all eternity, or would the whirlpool slowly destroy the raft? Either way sounds pretty annoying. Which is why the only way I think it could work at all is if it was caused by Antlion. Because it would then be the player's fault that he's stuck on a stupid spinny water thing.

The pull could simply be only as strong as to make it to where 1 player would really have to work to paddle away with an oar and break the pull.

Maybe have Antlion spawn smaller, weaker whirlpools that appear quickly and disappear quickly during the summer, and larger, stronger whirlpools that remain year round.

I can agree that a whirlpool shouldn't just lock you in place forever with no way to escape. They should either destroy your boat or be escape-able.

They could maybe even suck you down into the caves and deposit you in a random location, getting you wet and dumping the remaining mats of your destroyed equipment/structures with you.

Of course with some people not able to run caves on their system, or simply against running caves in their worlds this probably wouldn't work.

I don't see how tying them to Antlion would make them any better. People would simply not sail in the Summer, which I would guess is already more or less the case due to the threat of fire, and it would possibly be wasted content.

And I do like Hornetes idea of being able to use them as a speed boost with the proper sailing skill.

3 hours ago, Dunk Mujunk said:

They could maybe even suck you down into the caves and deposit you in a random location, getting you wet and dumping the remaining mats of your destroyed equipment/structures with you.

I love this idea so much! Falling into the water as the Whirlpool pulls you in and being splattered in a random part of the caves. If the world doesn't have caves maybe they could just spit you out of another whirlpool.

3 hours ago, Dunk Mujunk said:

And I do like Hornetes idea of being able to use them as a speed boost with the proper sailing skill.

Honestly, I kind of geeked out for a bit thinking of using them to boost yourself, like how in real life space craft will use the gravitational pull of planets to assist themselves, Haha.

5 hours ago, Hornete said:

I think Whirlpools would be a really cool and neat addition to the game! I love the idea of an entire team rowing against the force of the Whirlpool to try and get out, or even using the Whirlpool as an assist to boost yourself!

They could spawn from Antlion out in the water or just spawn randomly.

What do you think about Whirlpools in the game?

The only problem I see with this is that if it requires multiple players to escape a Whirlpool that this content can’t be added to the game.

People seem to forget that despite the fact the game is called Don’t Starve TOGETHER that there still actually is an option to play alone in Offline mode.

A change of heart from demanding bosses be balanced for those who play singleplayer?

I kid, I kid.

Anyway, the solution is simple, allow whirlpools to be escape-able with a single player.

Regardless of the mechanics, as I said I think we can all agree that there shouldn't be a situation where a boat can simply be locked in place forever. Whirlpools would either have to be escape-able, destroy the boat, or both.

Or.. they could be used as Wormhole Portals in the sea that spits you out into a new CLIMATE Zone.

Yeah guys.. I’m not living that down, Not now.. Not Ever.. you say Shipwrecked/Hamlet/Gorge/Forge/Sakura Tree Biomes do not fit the game due to DST taking place in a different Climate, Atmosphere or Whatever.

Yet your playing a game where Portals and Wormholes are a thing...

is it really so far fetched to think you could go through a blackhole and end up in an entirely different part of the world anymore?

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Or.. they could be used as Wormhole Portals in the sea that spits you out into a new CLIMATE Zone.

Yeah guys.. I’m not living that down, Not now.. Not Ever.. you say Shipwrecked/Hamlet/Gorge/Forge/Sakura Tree Biomes do not fit the game due to DST taking place in a different Climate, Atmosphere or Whatever.

Yet your playing a game where Portals and Wormholes are a thing...

is it really so far fetched to think you could go through a blackhole and end up in an entirely different part of the world anymore?

That idea would take another shard to run. And more processing power on our PCs. Which would make DST rather laggy/hard to run on lower specs.

Keep shipwrecked/hamlet/Gorge/Forge/Cherry Forest (by the way, this last one is a mod :) ) where they belong - out of base DST content where they do not clash thematically, aesthetically or functionally.

i think this would be a great idea i also think that it would be better if there was a new item which you can make in the seafaring tab which would help you stay away from them(whirlpools)when youre in singleplayer how would it help i have no idea but it would be cool

I can’t remember the movie, cartoon or Media source that I saw this in so I can’t find a link for Reference purposes..

but I remember watching something on tv once where a Whirlpool appeared in the water sucking a ship into it, the pool started out small and got bigger and bigger and then started tearing into the boat with Teeth..

It was in that moment that the individuals aboard the boat realized they were not in a Whirlpool at all.. but rather in the mouth of some really large and hungry sea fish.