Something New - Elevation

8 minutes ago, Nickolai said:

The thing is that it's impossible to make it a mod since it would have to change some things in the engine which mods can't do.

I do believe this change would be aesthetic in some parts but it would change the exploration of the game. If a change is aesthetic that doesn't mean its useless. With cliffs you will explore differently, set up bases differently, you can even build structures differently with ladders and torch holders. I feel like elevation would make DST fun to explore and play since elevation would add so many game play mechanics and challenges. The world will be more immersive and fun to work with instead of a flat world that doesn't stop you from going anywhere since you have nothing to slow or stop you since you can go around or just use boats to cross water. Traversing the world in DST is very repetitive and boring, terrain would change this and make it fun.

It will be aesthetic in most parts for the sake of making you walk around or under terrain.

If it requires work from Klei for such a small return (and by return I mean making you walk around an obstruction), then it is useless regardless of how "immersive" it would be for a fantasy game.

It is a nice idea but ultimately it is an artisic one not really suited to the game.

4 minutes ago, Orangex said:

It will be aesthetic in most parts for the sake of making you walk around or under terrain.

If it requires work from Klei for such a small return (and by return I mean making you walk around an obstruction), then it is useless regardless of how "immersive" it would be for a fantasy game.

It is a nice idea but ultimately it is an artisic one not really suited to the game.

I think that in a Wilderness Survival game that how you travel around the map should play a large part into that.

I have already expressed in the past my Anger at how other players can easily access my base which I intentionally placed a bazillion miles away from the spawn point and safely secured beyond some A.I. Dangers by skipping all that and just Boat hopping across the ocean till they reach my base.

Elevated Terrain will fix this significantly.. an obstacle that can’t be ignored and must be walked around or across.

It will even allow Klei to add something similar to the Worshiping Pigs (I protect King) as Area Choke off points.

Also I’m sure if this does get added and players CAN take fall damage I imagine a total overhaul for caves (because instead of hitting an invisible wall I want to be able to fall to my death that’s why.)

All of y'all say its aesthetic only, yet the Ocean is p. much the same with an island forced into it to not make it completely empty.
You may now argue 'But that's because its only the beginning and they plan more for it', yet Elevated Areas are essentially the same, a concept that seems shallow at first, but makes cool new content possible with better themes. It feels like y'all are just looking at that 1 mock-up picture I made and take it as the end of this idea

14 minutes ago, FuffledBeeQueen said:

All of y'all say its aesthetic only, yet the Ocean is p. much the same with an island forced into it to not make it completely empty.
You may now argue 'But that's because its only the beginning and they plan more for it', yet Elevated Areas are essentially the same, a concept that seems shallow at first, but makes cool new content possible with better themes. It feels like y'all are just looking at that 1 mock-up picture I made and take it as the end of this idea

I just don't like the idea of retrofitting THAT and changing elevation for megabases

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Have you read 85% of the posts in General discussion? They ALL Belong in Suggestions and Feedback.

That's why, as a side-aspect, the proposed "[Suggestions & Feedback] My idea". General is most viewed and will assure a theoretical maximum of visits to each proposal topic.

Also the "85%" thing is purely of the top of one's head, is much lower.

1 hour ago, Handsome_Jack said:

Well imo this belongs in general discussion since it’s a great idea which would be good for forum to discuss about and isn’t a one-off suggestion you find in the suggestions and feedback area to which that place I feel is for one-off suggestions like “Make pigs do more damage”

I prefer to have good interesting to read topics like this in general discussion which instead of “____ IS FEMALE” for 100th time or the other boring topics I usually see here

Got it, a splendid case of "some animals are more equal than others" - don't forget, is the principle of rule.

And yes, such topics are infinitely better and more useful than "What's behind the legs-door number N+1 of Monster X" spam we got lately.

Again my off-topic point was related to how General Discussion sub-forum is becoming a hodgepodge of subjects best suited elsewhere as per this forums classifications and only arbitrary some are moved to their correct categorization. Anyway end of my underlining collaterals.

I think when a forum mod feels like something belongs in a Suggestions tab they will move it (that’s kinda their job anyway and they get paid to do it I think?) Erm Anyway- If we left General discussion to JUST General Discussion then Poof Bye Bye 

Rework Talk Threads,

Skin Ideas,

Elevated Land, 

It would be the very bare bones of what’s Already in the game and NOT talk about what’s to come in future updates.

26 minutes ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

I just don't like the idea of retrofitting THAT and changing elevation for megabases

Well it doesn't need to be implemented on the entire world like I said earlier.
"If this is only biome specific like a island or the mosaic biome, ev
en more people would like it since it wouldn't effect their mega bases, it would be retrofitting possible. Even if other people like me who would like it for the entire world gen, it will still be possible since you can make mods so it effect the entire world because it would already be in the game via that biome. "

Just now, Nickolai said:
Just now, Nickolai said:

Umm... but this is on general discussion...

3 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:
3 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Also shouldn't this be in [Don't Starve Together] Suggestions and Feedback ?!

Lately I see a lot of wrong-forum postings - case in point "I am looking for a group of dedicated players..." in General Discussion.

Seems moderators are in "ZzzzZZzzzzZzz"-mode nowadays :lol:

I know. I was talking about that.

12 minutes ago, Nickolai said:

Well it doesn't need to be implemented on the entire world like I said earlier.
"If this is only biome specific like a island or the mosaic biome, ev
en more people would like it since it wouldn't effect their mega bases, it would be retrofitting possible. Even if other people like me who would like it for the entire world gen, it will still be possible since you can make mods so it effect the entire world because it would already be in the game via that biome. "

Mods do not exist on PS4, XBOX ONE or NINTENDO SWITCH.

that is strictly a PC only thing.

40 minutes ago, FuffledBeeQueen said:

The main point of the idea is aesthetic though, that's why it is being judged in that way. If you want to also include potential content, then this becomes another discussion.

The ocean update had, and still has, huge potential to how much content it could provide. I'm not sure the same can be said for some elevated areas.

Again, the idea of changing the terrain is neat, but it also a very different look for the game and in my opinion is quite a negative change when we would have to navigate those areas.  

Just now, Orangex said:

The main point of the idea is aesthetic though, that's why it is being judged in that way. If you want to also include potential content, then this becomes another discussion.

Where did it say the main point of the idea is aesthetic? Only thing I see for this is a mountainous biome with content, I don't remember people saying its for aesthetic only.

Just now, Hornete said:

Where did it say the main point of the idea is aesthetic? Only thing I see for this is a mountainous biome with content, I don't remember people saying its for aesthetic only.

Because there is no content, nor do we know what Klei would add for this type of update, so the core of this idea is purely elevation like the thread title suggests.

Just now, Orangex said:

Because there is no content, nor do we know what Klei would add for this type of update, so the core of this idea is purely elevation like the thread title suggests.

It's a base idea that can be built upon to add content onto it.

1 minute ago, Hornete said:

It's a base idea that can be built upon to add content onto it.

Again until that happens, [Edited to include - which is just an idea for an update at this point and unlikely to become a part of the game] all we can do it give feedback on the idea of elevated areas, which people have been doing.

I am confused.. how exactly is this Aesthetic only?

I provided several actual changes to gameplay itself that this would cause.

1- Wall obstacles you can’t place a boat kit on and ignore.

2- Over hung Cliffsides Which will work as a Better place to take shade from the sun or in WX78’s case Rainfall.

3- Cleverly tucked away little secret areas for us to discover that’s hidden along a ledge of a mountainside.

4- Being able to actually take Fall Damage in Don’t Starve should you happen to be chased by a enemy that can bully you off the side of the ledges (Pig Kings Champion Pigs Mini-Game)

5- Brand new Craftable items such as- Photos we can hang on the cliffside, (Arrows pointing in a route to go etc..) And Roll down Rope ladders that can be placed on top of an elevated land and rolled downwards.

This Idea is pretty much just as Basic as Ocean, Fishies, Fishing Lures.. Done!

1DDE2330-79AB-4225-835A-58D8D95DC4B9.jpeg

36 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I am confused.. how exactly is this Aesthetic only?

I provided several actual changes to gameplay itself that this would cause.

1- Wall obstacles you can’t place a boat kit on and ignore.

2- Over hung Cliffsides Which will work as a Better place to take shade from the sun or in WX78’s case Rainfall.

3- Cleverly tucked away little secret areas for us to discover that’s hidden along a ledge of a mountainside.

4- Being able to actually take Fall Damage in Don’t Starve should you happen to be chased by a enemy that can bully you off the side of the ledges (Pig Kings Champion Pigs Mini-Game)

5- Brand new Craftable items such as- Photos we can hang on the cliffside, (Arrows pointing in a route to go etc..) And Roll down Rope ladders that can be placed on top of an elevated land and rolled downwards.

This Idea is pretty much just as Basic as Ocean, Fishies, Fishing Lures.. Done!

1DDE2330-79AB-4225-835A-58D8D95DC4B9.jpeg

Well let's be clear.

1. Walls are an obstacle, this can be viewed as a positive or as a negative.

2. Any overhang is just an extention of taking shelter next to the nearest tree and negated completely by certain items/clothing. 

3. I've never thought that the world generation was clever, it just has its requirements to create areas of the map based on the parameters set.. What would those little hidden areas be for once they have been found?

4. Fall damage is very specific to this area and to the situation you would find yourself in, If you can fall off, the enemy could also follow you off.

5. Photos and signs, while a cute idea, is hardly thrilling content. You also mentioned your hatred of boats allowing access to your secluded base earlier, how would rope ladders be any different when used on an elevated base?

These are small things when comparing them to how adding elevation would change the look and feel of the game, this is why the idea of elevation is mostly aesthetic at this point and why some of the feedback has focused on this alone. 

Well for one, none of us are game developers so if your looking for new mobs and challenges this ain’t it.

But to answer your question about rope ladders, they have to be placed at the TOP of the Elevation and rolled down the cliffside exactly in the same exact way an Actual Rope Ladder would work.

So that would require the player to have already reached the Elevated Height in order to place a ladder.

Ark Survival Evolved has Rope Ladders, they can be Rolled down or up.

not in any way shape or form the same thing as Placed Boat Kits to ignore bodies of Water.

After thinking for a while I figured out why I don’t like this idea. The game stops being don’t starve and becomes something else, especially seeing drawings made it clear. It takes away the whole “constant” aesthetic and being staged feeling. The idea is rather good but not fitting for this game, in my opinion of course!

1 hour ago, OMERICA said:

After thinking for a while I figured out why I don’t like this idea. The game stops being don’t starve and becomes something else, especially seeing drawings made it clear. It takes away the whole “constant” aesthetic and being staged feeling. The idea is rather good but not fitting for this game, in my opinion of course!

But the constant does have mountains, just not in gameplay. Plus with the hills elevated it would make it feel like paper craft almost giving even more to the stage.

but i guess it could also be a "feel" thing that you have different than me

54 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

not in any way shape or form the same thing as Placed Boat Kits to ignore bodies of Water.

Placing rope ladders as a shortcut back up the mountain is the same as using a boat to hop across a river. Both allow accees except one requires and extra step.

If you hate boats giving easy access to your secure base, you're not going to like players removing or rolling the ladder to your elevated secure base and forcing you to walk the long way around again ;)

Just want to say this whole idea would finally make Don't Starve Together not Don't Starve but multiplayer. I don't know about you all but to me Klei has been wanting to push the idea that DST is DS 2 and not DS but multiplayer with not wanting to port DLCs, refusing to add SW sailing, slowly revamping the music, revamping the characters, adding new characters, the fact that the story is continuing off of where DS left off, and much more. This idea would finally make it clear to new players that this isn't just DS multiplayer, because lets be real, a new player looking at the screenshots on steam and going in blind wouldn't be able to tell whats different, on the surface so far the 2 games look the same, so elevation would make it clear that something has truly changed.

19 hours ago, Orangex said:

3. I've never thought that the world generation was clever, it just has its requirements to create areas of the map based on the parameters set.. What would those little hidden areas be for once they have been found?

True, world gen is horrible in don't starve and always has been. The settings for world gen even show this, with there being only the bare bone things you can change and with no idea what it actually does, but it doesn't have to be this way anymore, world gen needs a revamp, we need more control over it and we need more to it, elevation would add more to what the world gen needs to take into account this might also finally get Klei to allow us a world seed thing similar to Minecraft, and thinking of Minecraft, why not add a super flat world so we don't have to deal with elevation if we don't want to, and there could be many more world types finally no more of the same old same old.

19 hours ago, Orangex said:

These are small things when comparing them to how adding elevation would change the look and feel of the game, this is why the idea of elevation is mostly aesthetic at this point and why some of the feedback has focused on this alone. 

I will bring up Minecraft once again, world gen in Minecraft is everything, people have made massive lists of seeds to finding cool things that the world gen has done, when Minecraft changed the beta world gen, it was cool at first but it got repetitive, same hills, same oceans, same everything, but sometimes cool things could be found, but not as much anymore. Don't Starve world gen has gotten repetitive only on rare occasions can you find the moon part of the main island or the atrium part of the ruins. Elevation would add another layer to what would happen, maybe spawn is at the highest place of the map, maybe there's a wall stopping you from the desert, maybe the meteor field is in a valley making it hard to dodge meteors, or maybe the moon stone is at the bottom of a valley and the hounds and werepigs are jumping down from the cliffs? sure this stuff sounds mostly aesthetic but in the end its how you choose to deal with it, do you find a way over the wall or sail around it? Do you jump off the cliffs to get away from spawn or do you take the safe long route down? Do you wall the moon stone or the cliffs?

Another thing to note, when the atrium was added Klei said on stream they wanted to have walls in it but then they remembered Don't Starve doesn't have real walls. With this they could fix that and on top of that maybe walls stop lazy explorer and Wortox stopping people from skipping the tentacle. Of course Wortox should still be able to teleport up on to higher areas just not through walls if that makes sense? I don't know about that one so take it with some salt please.

4 minutes ago, Smitty Inc. said:

Just want to say this whole idea would finally make Don't Starve Together not Don't Starve but multiplayer.

Ya, exactly! I first started with Don’t Starve and played hamlet and shipwrecked and it was so great! Then I buy dont starve together expecting it to be different and I got disappointed to find out it has less unique features than dont starve and is laggier all for just multiplayer which for me is randoms joining and leaving after 1 minute or setting my base on fire!! I really would like something unique to dont starve together which has a big impact on the game to be added like elevation it would make my purchase feel it was worth it after all.

Archived