Please Fix this highly annoying Issue.

This thread is NOT about what Gender a mob in DST is... this thread is about something more important: Button binds on the Xbox One.

I will start with the first and most important The A Button Picks Up Items when you Die after you’ve dropped all your Inventory, Which is GREAT Except... when you have a Fire Staff in your Inventory if you rush to pick up all your loot before Some thief swoops in and takes it all the A Button while holding a FIRE STAFF will also light all your crap on fire. .... Fun.

The next One is a little more Preventable pressing B starts the Rat Race, Pressing B while holding a Hammer Destroys the Rat Race.

I really can careless about accidental hammering, that’s easily preventable.. but rushing to snag all your stuff up while also sitting it all on fire seems like something that shouldn’t happen.

Im posting this in General Discussion and Not specifically in Xbox One because there’s more people trafficking this area of the forums so it is more likely to be seen and replied to, but if a Forum Mod feels the need to move it then they may.

Either way, Klei, Plz Fix? <3

I made a post about suggested controller bindings, but there are some more specific scenarios I've experienced as I've continued to play on console which are similar to yours, which demand updates to the bindings.

As wormwood when you want to eat seeds you must press left, while all other eating is right.  Not a big issue, but it can make gameplay very inconsistent as you typically perform actions from memory rather than reading the screen.  Its important that actions are consistent across items of similar types.

And definitely the fire staff - Normally a is used to interact with items such as picking them up, or opening them, and x is to attack.  When you equip a fire staff suddenly a is used to light everything on fire while b is used to pick things up.  This is not consistent across items either as a torch will still use a to interact with things like to pick them up or open them while b is used for lighting them on fire. 

This isn't just a console issue though - the fire staff on pc also swaps left and right clicking.  Left clicking is normally used to pick up or interact while right click is to light with torch, but with fire staff left click lights things on fire while right click is to interact.  Its almost like they purposefully do this just to mess with players, but it is a very bad joke - it creates a very inconsistent play experience and gives a very negative reward for playing based off of interactions the game has taught and reinforced as you've played.

On 1/26/2020 at 4:31 AM, Shosuko said:

As wormwood when you want to eat seeds you must press left, while all other eating is right.  Not a big issue, but it can make gameplay very inconsistent as you typically perform actions from memory rather than reading the screen.  Its important that actions are consistent across items of similar types.

When you finally get the 1 dragon fruit seed, as Wormwood, and when you go to plant it....... 'chomp'.... lol

On 1/26/2020 at 5:33 AM, axxel said:

I think you misjudge Devs and Mods. Of course they care about XBox and PS users and about your problems. 

Yeah...they're always lurking. It's kinda unsettling tbh. :wilson_curious:

On 11/26/2019 at 3:54 PM, AnimatedErica said:

I'm always lurking 

spagett.gif

Spoiler

But then again Erica is basically the designated lurker. :wilson_sneaky:

On 1/26/2020 at 2:33 AM, axxel said:

I think you misjudge Devs and Mods. Of course they care about XBox and PS users and about your problems. 

One of the hard parts about communicating online is you can never tell what is sarcasm...  Is this sarcasm?

Also - if there is a problem with the game its good to give feedback and criticism on this.  It would be a bad feedback loop with the playerbase if the devs got offended when feedback is given to their game.  It really does seem like a bad joke that your bindings might reverse for some of the worst interactions.  Fire is already dangerous, adding to that reversed key bindings and it really does just seem like a troll.  Its why I passed on the firestaff skin.  I know I'll literally never use it.

Keyboard and mouse users are not without some inconsistency. With the mouse: When right-clicking an equipped tool or weapon in the hand slot, it usually unequips the item right? Not with the telelocator staff. Instead, it makes you teleport yourself, which is kinda annoying and can ruin your day. You could waste 3 purple gems, or teleport into a varg farm that you're trying to set up. Definitely not speaking from experience.....

18 hours ago, Shosuko said:

Also - if there is a problem with the game its good to give feedback and criticism on this.  It would be a bad feedback loop with the playerbase if the devs got offended when feedback is given to their game.

Nobody's saying to not give criticism, what we're pointing out is that the devs pay more attention to the forums than you might think.

4 hours ago, watermelen671 said:

Nobody's saying to not give criticism, what we're pointing out is that the devs pay more attention to the forums than you might think.

I didn't say anything I wouldn't want a mod to read.  Its my honest opinion.  Making a game and then reversing inputs is horrible game design.  Some games have tried it, mostly it leads to bad results.  Leaving it this way for so long either means they want it this way (they are trolling us) or they don't realize because of how underused the item is because fire mechanics...  but is it only because fire mechanics?  or is it because bad control scheme that forces you to make mistakes by swapping out commonly used actions with each other so you burn your base down?

If they just wanna troll - sure, I guess.  It just means I continue to never use this item, and will never buy skins for this item :\

14 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

or is it because bad control scheme that forces you to make mistakes by swapping out commonly used actions with each other so you burn your base down?

I think it's more to do with the fact that with how many key bindings there are in DS, there's not enough unique buttons on a console controller. 

In the end there's going to be overlap, and something will end up going horribly wrong.

I don't own the console edition, so I don't know if it's possible, but maybe try and see if you can swap out the button bindings?

2 hours ago, watermelen671 said:

I think it's more to do with the fact that with how many key bindings there are in DS, there's not enough unique buttons on a console controller. 

In the end there's going to be overlap, and something will end up going horribly wrong.

I don't own the console edition, so I don't know if it's possible, but maybe try and see if you can swap out the button bindings?

In my post linked above - input suggestions for both controllers and kb/m - I reviewed some core changes in key bindings I believe the devs should consider.  Unfortunately the keymapping for controllers is broken and changing some bindings will break certain features.  The option to change every binding is also not available, and is one of the more important suggestions I put forward (allowing you to move while navigating the crafting menu.)  The bindings are the same whether you play on console or on pc with controller, so if you have a xbox or ps4 controller you can see how they work even on your pc version.

This thread's issue isn't about overloading though - the fire staff has the same options a torch has.  To attack, to light something, and then your default actions such as picking items up or opening containers.  The torch does this well by having your attack button attack things, your default button pick things up or open them as it normally does, while the right click or alt-action button will ignite things.  The fire staff has the same options, but the default action button which picks things up, opens chests, ect is instead set to light things on fire while the right click, which is used for alternate actions such as igniting things with a torch, is instead swapped to default interact...

Here’s a 3 step guide to how you too can suffer this pain.

Step 1- Gather a bunch of items you really want to keep and be holding a Firestaff.

Step 2- Die with the Firestaff in your active Inventory hand slot.

Step 3- Rush to pick up all your crap from your dead body before some loot theif can Ninja it all out from underneath you and just watch and laugh/cry at what happens next.

@Klei Plz Fix? <3

On 1/28/2020 at 1:36 PM, Shosuko said:

I didn't say anything I wouldn't want a mod to read.  Its my honest opinion.  Making a game and then reversing inputs is horrible game design.  Some games have tried it, mostly it leads to bad results.  Leaving it this way for so long either means they want it this way (they are trolling us) or they don't realize because of how underused the item is because fire mechanics...  but is it only because fire mechanics?  or is it because bad control scheme that forces you to make mistakes by swapping out commonly used actions with each other so you burn your base down?

If they just wanna troll - sure, I guess.  It just means I continue to never use this item, and will never buy skins for this item :\

It's just an oversight. I won't go into the specifics, but the fire staff's "Light" action is an attack action in disguise. Since attacks default to left click, the fire staff's light action does too. Maybe try reporting it on the bug tracker?

Archived