1 hour ago, CameoAppearance said:

Yeah, and it also sounds like the main reason OP takes so long to get to their base without boat bridges is because they take a really circuitous route in the first place. Where could you possibly be going that takes 20-30 minutes to travel to as the crow flies? That's like three game days!

That depends on a few things, Such how the world was Generated, and what obstacles are between you & your destination. In this particular Instance my base is on the opposite side of a Hostile Merm Swamp and a Rock Biome full of Spider Nests.

But where I place my Base isn’t the purpose nor the topic of this post-

The purpose of this post is to stress how ridiculously easy it is for players to build FOUR WOODEN PLANKS & the essentially “Hop” all around the map by placing these boats into any area that they happen to fit into.

Yea I would LOVE a PRETTIER Alternative to the ugly floating Boat Platforms (Such as the bridges suggested in original post..)

But Ultimately just making Boat Kits cost more resources to build so people aren't just plopping them down anywhere & everywhere would do fine too.

bridges can be implemented in many ways, to counter boats being used as cheaper bridges, perhaps we can see boats requiring a specific amount of structures to be kept "stable" and will sink down to the bottom if it doesn't meet the requirements in a certain amount of time.

3 hours ago, Cheddar Cheese said:

bridges can be implemented in many ways, to counter boats being used as cheaper bridges, perhaps we can see boats requiring a specific amount of structures to be kept "stable" and will sink down to the bottom if it doesn't meet the requirements in a certain amount of time.

Still - why nerf a structure which serves a purpose if the intention is simply to implement a structure which serves the same purpose...  Why not let things that are working just work.  Its not like this is some illogical thing to put down a boat to cross a stream, or even paddle a little between biomes.  In order to build a boat a person has to get a science machine, think tank, and then build the boat.  That's 36 logs just to get the first boat.  Sure they can make more as they go, but isn't that just players being smart?  Where is the problem here?

It seems the OP is salty that some player got to his base which he thought was well protected by being placed behind a swamp and a spider rockland...  Mike always posts about wanting to increase the hardcore experience, so my guess is he thought he was being hardcore by basing in this area.  A player used a boat to get to his base, but what's funny is neither of these obstacles are that hard to just walk through...  The boat isn't why the player was able to reach his base, that is only the method that player chose.  Simply walking would have worked just as well.  No reason to change boats for this.

5 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

That depends on a few things, Such how the world was Generated, and what obstacles are between you & your destination. In this particular Instance my base is on the opposite side of a Hostile Merm Swamp and a Rock Biome full of Spider Nests.

But where I place my Base isn’t the purpose nor the topic of this post-

Yes it is - because I think this is finally the real reason you started this topic.  The reason you want someone to have to touch both pieces of land is because YOU touched both pieces of land.  This is the same as someone whining about cheesing Bee Queen or DFly with a wall, or flingos on Toadstool, or a lureplant on Klaus, or a shootious on Fuelweaver...  Some people play Wolfgang and fight these things legit, some really good players even play Wes and fight these things legit... and I'm genuinely impressed when they do!  But when they come here and whine about how cheesing pathing, or these other tactics is "ruining the game" what they really mean is they feel like they should be the only ones to do XYZ because they do it "the right way" even though this is a game of options, and these other players in other games have no effect on how they choose to play.

I doubt Klei is going to take a fun aspect of the game away without a reason.  They've already said balance is not their supreme goal with character reworks.  These hardcore players complained about a wall used to cheese bee queen, Klei gave Winona catapults...  Instead of using a wall to reduce the Bee Queen fight to a 2 day fight, using 30+ perogies, 7 bee hats, and 4 dark swords, Winona can ace her in a quarter of a day without any healing items, and without even swinging a weapon herself...  Checkmate "hardcoreists"

The real answer is always this:  You choose how you play, and you can play in your own world, or with your own friends who have agreed to certain tactics if you want.  That doesn't mean anyone else has to care.

27 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

Still - why nerf a structure which serves a purpose if the intention is simply to implement a structure which serves the same purpose...  Why not let things that are working just work.  Its not like this is some illogical thing to put down a boat to cross a stream, or even paddle a little between biomes.  In order to build a boat a person has to get a science machine, think tank, and then build the boat.  That's 36 logs just to get the first boat.  Sure they can make more as they go, but isn't that just players being smart?  Where is the problem here?

It seems the OP is salty that some player got to his base which he thought was well protected by being placed behind a swamp and a spider rockland...  Mike always posts about wanting to increase the hardcore experience, so my guess is he thought he was being hardcore by basing in this area.  A player used a boat to get to his base, but what's funny is neither of these obstacles are that hard to just walk through...  The boat isn't why the player was able to reach his base, that is only the method that player chose.  Simply walking would have worked just as well.  No reason to change boats for this.

Yes it is - because I think this is finally the real reason you started this topic.  The reason you want someone to have to touch both pieces of land is because YOU touched both pieces of land.  This is the same as someone whining about cheesing Bee Queen or DFly with a wall, or flingos on Toadstool, or a lureplant on Klaus, or a shootious on Fuelweaver...  Some people play Wolfgang and fight these things legit, some really good players even play Wes and fight these things legit... and I'm genuinely impressed when they do!  But when they come here and whine about how cheesing pathing, or these other tactics is "ruining the game" what they really mean is they feel like they should be the only ones to do XYZ because they do it "the right way" even though this is a game of options, and these other players in other games have no effect on how they choose to play.
I doubt Klei is going to take a fun aspect of the game away without a reason.  They've already said balance is not their supreme goal with character reworks.  These hardcore players complained about a wall used to cheese bee queen, Klei gave Winona catapults...  Instead of using a wall to reduce the Bee Queen fight to a 2 day fight, using 30+ perogies, 7 bee hats, and 4 dark swords, Winona can ace her in a quarter of a day without any healing items, and without even swinging a weapon herself...  Checkmate "hardcoreists"

The real answer is always this:  You choose how you play, and you can play in your own world, or with your own friends who have agreed to certain tactics if you want.  That doesn't mean anyone else has to care.

You might want to seriously go read threads about Walani being added to Don’t Starve Together..

Why would Anyone use her Surfboards At All when Four Wooden Plank Boat Kits are the answer to everything?

Please FFS THINK ABOUT WALANI!! (Assuming When/If She’s Ever coming..)

3 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

You might want to seriously go read threads about Walani being added to Don’t Starve Together..

Why would Anyone use her Surfboards At All when Four Wooden Plank Boat Kits are the answer to everything?

Please FFS THINK ABOUT WALANI!! (Assuming When/If She’s Ever coming..)

Wilani's surf board is a single board to craft, she starts with it, and it doesn't require a science machine + think tank... (while the board requires a science machine, she can get a board in other ways if needed, but mostly her starting with it is enough)  MUCH more accessible.  The main reason though is maneuverability.  If she was added with her surf board I'm assuming she would have better maneuverability compared to these boats.  Also as in SW she would be able to pick up her board so she wouldn't need a new one every time she needed to cross some water, she'd only need 1 total and she'd carry it with her.

So I don't see Wilani suffering at all from boats as they are.  I'd also absolutely LOVE to have her in DST.

4 hours ago, Shosuko said:

Wilani's surf board is a single board to craft, she starts with it, and it doesn't require a science machine + think tank... (while the board requires a science machine, she can get a board in other ways if needed, but mostly her starting with it is enough)  MUCH more accessible.  The main reason though is maneuverability.  If she was added with her surf board I'm assuming she would have better maneuverability compared to these boats.  Also as in SW she would be able to pick up her board so she wouldn't need a new one every time she needed to cross some water, she'd only need 1 total and she'd carry it with her.

So I don't see Wilani suffering at all from boats as they are.  I'd also absolutely LOVE to have her in DST.

Well.... she would obviously have to be reworked with “Together” Gameplay mechanics in Mind, and if Walani’s Together Mechanic was to craft Surfboards that she can then give to other characters to use in the same way WURT can Create Merm Disguises... (with a usage percentage that drains over time in the same way most other items do) why would anyone ever bother getting her to craft them a Surfboard for Ease of Access gap crossing.. when a Four Plank Boat Kit works just fine?

When I Wanted Boat Kits Nerfed I wanted it Nerfed because it’s too easy to place a couple boards in the water and call it a day, I also dislike the Cosmetic look of a gigantic round cookie sitting dead center of a tiny pond.

But I also do not wish to overly punish people who were creative enough to use them as Bridges.. And I believe the fix for all that would to be to provide the game with Actual Bridges... and NERF BOAT KITS

Giving a higher importance on Characters like Wortox, Woodie, Walani & Woodlegs (Assuming they ever even make it into the game)

Warly and Wormwood came from Shipwrecked and Hamlet respectively and both of them received a Rework more fitting for “Together” Gameplay.

I would be sorely Disappointed with Walani if she could not craft Surfboards for others to use.

The fact remains that there is simply no good reason to make boat kits more expensive or narrow rivers,  and it’s not going to happen. Your reasons for asking for this are peculiar to you and irrelevant to the vast majority of other players, who find boat bridges eliminate a lot of tedium from the late game.

Don't fancy some lazy bums fine gents placing pesky wooden cookies boats in your world and whatnot? Picture this: one measly roaring tier 4 Campfire strategically placed whatever on said boat neatly solves your problem the Willow way :encouragement:

Moon Isles bridge? Your newly gained Gnarwail Horn settles this matter with 1 blow and a hilarity of chuckles. Why stress with forum demands when you got "da power" of trolling in your hands - take a page out of the griefers' book, ma lad, in a most suave softcore way!

7 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Well.... she would obviously have to be reworked with “Together” Gameplay mechanics in Mind, and if Walani’s Together Mechanic was to craft Surfboards that she can then give to other characters to use in the same way WURT can Create Merm Disguises... (with a usage percentage that drains over time in the same way most other items do) why would anyone ever bother getting her to craft them a Surfboard for Ease of Access gap crossing.. when a Four Plank Boat Kit works just fine?

Why have Wilani craft a surf board, which only takes 1 board, can be picked back up, and has better maneuverability, useful for crossing streams and exploring early, when you can spend 4 boards each time you want to cross a stream and... that's it.  4 boards every time.  What part of a cookie boat at all steps on the toes of a surf board?

I'm sure the board would need to be reworked, but I think that rework would come in the form of it being a paddle board since there aren't waves to really surf on.  Have the oar as part of the paddle board kit.  Let it hold only 1 person without the ground to build or drop things on like a cookie boat.  When you launch you can jump on the board, or pack it back up and take it with you.  Of course she can craft these for anyone, there really isn't a reason not to...

LIke really - you say that no one would use Wilani's boards like its a matter of fact, yet I think it would be the exact opposite.  If Wilani was handing out surf boards I think you'd only see boats when they need the structures or inventory space.  Her board is significantly cheaper AND more convenient for simple mobility and exploration.  Unless you need a mobile base sort of boat, one that can hold a fire pit, ice chest, fish tin, and let you drop things on it, the surfboard just wins.

shutterstock_507071611-1366x800@2x.jpg

That’s Highly Debatable, Walani’s Surfboards would obviously have a % of usage until they wore down and broke in DST so she would have to craft another.

Why have Walani Crafting Surfboards when Unstructured, Unsupported, Unanchored Boat Kits work just fine.

Theres also the Possibility that while on Walani Surfboards, You couldn’t Access Inventory Items, Which means.. No Surfing out to easily Mine Salt Rocks. So the Cookie Boat Platforms would still be Superior in every way.

However, Making the Gap between rivers smaller so Cookies no longer fit into them, But Walani Surfboards Can would make them a lot more useful. But I don’t want Bridges to be completely eliminated either.. they should Require more resources to create

such as 2 Rope, 6 Twigs, 6 Planks and maybe 1 Cut Stone So it Realistically stays in place.. But if they’re gonna do all that- Why not just give us actual Rope Bridges that have to be placed at Point A and Point B?

They would Cosmetically look ALOT Better AND Klei could give the Actual Bridge Itself a Item Skin Category & We all know that Skins sale DST.

But This would also allow Wortox, Woodie, Walani and probably Woodlegs, to be able to easily cross the other side of the stream and place the second half of the bridge.

Theres Also Wilbur who would probably be able to perform some special Monkey Leap or Something..

I have never played Hamlet so I don’t know about the rest of the characters- But Wagstaff looks like the kinda guy who would spawn with a pre-Built Teleporter device. So yeah there’s probably him too.

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

That’s Highly Debatable, Walani’s Surfboards would obviously have a % of usage until they wore down and broke in DST so she would have to craft another.

Why have Walani Crafting Surfboards when Unstructured, Unsupported, Unanchored Boat Kits work just fine.

All boats had a % usage in SW, but DST have boats with a HP value instead.  Who knows what Klei would do, but even if it had % usage its so easy to craft that for getting around early you would certainly prefer Walani's board over a boat kit.  Again - Walani surfboard = 1 board you can take with you to use each time as needed VS cookie boat = science machine + think tank + 4 boards / per use.

Theres also the Possibility that while on Walani Surfboards, You couldn’t Access Inventory Items, Which means.. No Surfing out to easily Mine Salt Rocks. So the Cookie Boat Platforms would still be Superior in every way.

Why would that be a possibility?  Besides the fact that you suggested it be that way...

PS: Dang, all this talk about Walani makes me wanna play some SW again lol  pls Klei add Walani!!! I'll love you forever <3 <3 <333

29 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

dst-walani.png.819242522f967fac48432aba1b24e075.png

Yes but wouldn’t this just make boats almost useless if you can use Walani Surfboards to mine Salt Stacks, Etc...?

Walani worked in Shipwrecked BECAUSE her board behaved like any other boat.. But In DST boats behave very differently. And Walani would probably be subject to Nerfing I would imagine.

Anyway I’m getting way off topic- Nerf Boat Kits by making them Require a few more resources or by shrinking river sizes.. or both.

3 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Yes but wouldn’t this just make boats almost useless if you can use Walani Surfboards to mine Salt Stacks, Etc...?

Walani worked in Shipwrecked BECAUSE her board behaved like any other boat.. But In DST boats behave very differently. And Walani would probably be subject to Nerfing I would imagine.

Anyway I’m getting way off topic- Nerf Boat Kits by making them Require a few more resources or by shrinking river sizes.. or both.

Surfboards are too fragile so it would be pretty risky to mine salt rocks,

6 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

If Walani is the only one that can use the surfboard then I don't mind if the boat is useless to her, that's her perk.

7 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

football helmets are worthless when Wigfrid can spam craft battle helms... what's your point?  It's a character perk, they change the game options.

Archived