How do you take care of meteors?

So I was just building my base minding my own buissness but then some meteors come and destroy my base, but how can I stop them from breaking my base? I see a lot of people with megabases so how do they stop meteors from just destroying everything? Or do you just have to live with it and rebuild everything they break?

You most likely base in or around what's called the mosaic biome. That biome has a meteor shower mechanic that makes it really bad for basing since it has every now and then a meteor shower. 

I would recommend to base in another biome just to resolve that problem. Make sure though that the biome you choose to base in is not to close to the Mosaic, since some meteor can fall a bit off of it and still destroy your base. You will learn over time the said range of the meteor shower by playing.

Hope it help and have a good day !

3 minutes ago, Warlockadamm said:

You most likely base in or around what's called the mosaic biome. That biome has a meteor shower mechanic that makes it really bad for basing since it has every now and then a meteor shower. 

I would recommend to base in another biome just to resolve that problem. Make sure though that the biome you chooe to base in is not to close to the Mosaic, since some meteor can fall a bit off of it and still destroy your base. You will learn over time the said range of the meteor shower by playing.

Hope it help and have a good day !

Yeah I based right next to one :wilson_dead: thank you for the info!

Not sure if it works this way on PC- But on Xbox Meteor showers can only hit your base if you are actually within Render distance of your base, Same with Summer Wildfires... if you have a HUGE base you DON’T want to randomly set fire in the Summer.. you Stay away from that Area until Summer or the Meteor Showers end.

This also works for Deerclops coming to Wreck your base- If you move way away from your base and then just craft a bunch of useless base like structures such as empty storage chests or campfires and signs, It will spawn in that area wrecking all that stuff instead of demolishing the actual base area you set up.

Deerclops seems to Priortize Storage chests in my experience (it may also be because I only ever craft the Gingerbread boxes now.. but still..) I have used this to my Advantage to Kite Deerclops Exactly where I want it to go.

You can TOTALLY Base in the Mosaic Biomes, just be sure that when Meteors start falling to get the heck up outta the area fast. 

Goodluck & Enjoy the game.

39 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

1.Not sure if it works this way on PC

2.But on Xbox Meteor showers can only hit your base if you are actually within Render distance of your            base, Same with Summer Wildfires... if you have a HUGE base you DON’T want to randomly set fire in the Summer.. you Stay away from that    Area until Summer or the Meteor Showers end.

3.This also works for Deerclops coming to Wreck your base- If you move way away from your base and then just craft a bunch of useless base       like structures such as empty storage chests or campfires and signs, It will spawn in that area wrecking all that stuff instead of demolishing         the actual base area you set up.

Deerclops seems to Priortize Storage chests in my experience (it may also be because I only ever craft the Gingerbread boxes now.. but              still..) I have used this to my Advantage to Kite Deerclops Exactly where I want it to go.

You can TOTALLY Base in the Mosaic Biomes, just be sure that when Meteors start falling to get the heck up outta the area fast. 

Goodluck & Enjoy the game.

1.This world is on the ps4 but I also own the DST on pc so I can check later.

2.So would going in a cave also work? Cause I have a cave "base" too and its right next to my house.

3.Yeah I actually just made a cave base and waited the whole season but then one day at night I heard his breathing I started panicking and ran but when day came he despawned because it turned spring.

2 minutes ago, Coolmop09 said:

1.This world is on the ps4 but I also own the DST on pc so I can check later.

2.So would going in a cave also work? Cause I have a cave "base" too and its right next to my house.

3.Yeah I actually just made a cave base and waited the whole season but then one day at night I heard his breathing I started panicking and ran but when day came he despawned because it turned spring.

Caves are set up as a totally separate server so yes going in caves also works... Provide that No only else in the game with you is in the same area as your base.

(I hate when that happens, people join your world and even if your in a cave your base burns down or gets wrecked by meteors because THEY are probably not experienced enough with the game to know to leave the Area, or worse.. they know fully what they are doing and just trolling but luckily there’s a Rollback button for that!) 

Deerclops should remain even after it turns to spring it shouldn’t just Despawn completely.. I actually killed my first Deerclops by kiting him to a Spring Moose Goose nest and letting them kill one another off.

If you play this game Solo- Kiting is pretty much the only way your going to kill the bigger bosses and it will probably take you a few days.. which I find completely unfair considering you can gather a group of 3 or more players with Football Helmets and Hambats and kill them pretty quickly when playing in multiplayer.

The TL:DR, Even though DST is a Multiplayer game- it shouldn’t completely punish those who play Solo more then they do Multiplayer.

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Not sure if it works this way on PC- But on Xbox Meteor showers can only hit your base if you are actually within Render distance of your base, Same with Summer Wildfires... if you have a HUGE base you DON’T want to randomly set fire in the Summer.. you Stay away from that Area until Summer or the Meteor Showers end.

There really really aren't as many differences between Xbox and PC like you think. In every version of the game, the only things that are loaded are things within the same general area as a player. Once all players leave an area, it unloads, and so yes wildfires and such will only happen around the player.

57 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

If you play this game Solo- Kiting is pretty much the only way your going to kill the bigger bosses and it will probably take you a few days

Just use gunpowder. I generally play with my gf but I have a map I run when she is at work. 19 Gunpowder will take Deerclops down in health far enough to where 2 (maybe 3) hits from a tentacle spike will kill it with loot intact. 29 Gunpowder will do the same for Bearger and if necessary MooseGoose. You just need to wait until the boss mob is no longer on fire to ensure the loot doesnt burn. Used in tandem with the pan flute to put the boss to sleep and you have an extremely simple way to solo up top boss mobs.

Make sure to put distance between yourself and Bearger before the explosion to avoid being put to sleep when he awakens.

I've gone through maybe 5 game years or so doing this, the nitre coal and rotten eggs are easily attainable on a single player map.

Also, you shouldnt need to hit MooseGoose every year, really at all. A while back we made the mistake of basing near MooseGoose and we killed her every year to avoid complications. But an extra 29 gunpowder per year becomes a bit of a tall order. Best to not base near MG.

Or meteor fields for that matter, to touch on the topic of the thread.

Aside from that you should have at least 2 or 3 mandrakes in your world, along with an already constructed pan flute. This will get you through until you are able to obtain a deconstruction staff to make panflutes a renewable resource.

On the topic of BeeQueen, a simple mass of Bunnyman Huts can do the work for you in most cases. I'm usually reluctant to spend too much silk on BeeHats for them, so I put up around 40 huts and give out maybe 10 or so BeeHats. After a few runs on BQ and enough Bunnymen with hats killed it becomes a great meat farm. Then when you are ready simply hand out a new round of BeeHats and the process repeats itself.

As for Dragonfly, while ive never attempted to do this, id imagine the stone wall box method paired with plenty of armor, some healing items, pan flute, decent weapons, and maybe a day and a half+ and you should be able to straight tank DF. Obtaining the mats and gear for this should be simple 3/4 years in.

12 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

There really really aren't as many differences between Xbox and PC like you think. In every version of the game, the only things that are loaded are things within the same general area as a player. Once all players leave an area, it unloads, and so yes wildfires and such will only happen around the player.

Really? So even though the pc version has the manpower to probably run the entire world with no complications, it only loads in certain areas at a time like Consoles? That is disappointing to say the least-

i used to game a lot back on PC and most the times people bought PC versions of console games simply because you could do more on the PC than you could the console, due to the Consoles hardware not being up to standards with the PC less lag.. better graphics, larger worlds, mod support etc.

You only need to compare Battlefield games on the Xbox 360 to the PC versions to understand the differences I figure PC would have: A good majority of those games map sizes and player counts were reduced drastically on Console to the point that If you could afford a PC- The PC was the obvious place to play.. Console map Sizes were cut down 3 or 4x their original sizes and player count capped out at around 18 players instead of the 64 we have today.

Honestly though- if I had the money to buy a new PC and I bought DST on it I would be kind of disappointed that Meteors and Wildfires can’t start in areas that I’m not around, Maybe there is a mod for this though??, Because I don’t know about you but I think it would probably be a lot of fun.

16 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

So even though the pc version has the manpower to probably run the entire world with no complications, it only loads in certain areas at a time like Consoles?

the pc version of don't starve / together is limited to 4 gb of ram at most it's really not as powerful as you think mostly regardless of the computer that you have

29 minutes ago, Lbphero said:

the pc version of don't starve / together is limited to 4 gb of ram at most it's really not as powerful as you think mostly regardless of the computer that you have

I think I finally understand those posts about people wanting them to Rework the games engine then.

its not that it’s BAD this way.. it’s just that if there isn’t any plans for a DS Sequel anytime soon- then they should Rework the game to have much better stable performance, especially if they plan to ever catch up to Minecraft in terms of popularity.

Something I can do in Minecraft that I CAN NOT do in DST is host an Infinite world where no matter how far I walk or travel in one direction it just keeps loading more world content and more Biomes.

Imagine something like that with DST- we could theoretically Sail from DST into Hamlet or Shipwrecked and Beyond!  

(Insert famous Toy Story quote here)

And if they are truly finally recognizing DST as quote “A Sequel of Sorts” then I’m hoping there’s some significantly large chunks of content planned for 2020 & possibly even way beyond that.

after all- games that tend to generate tons of players and money revenue tend to continue churning out significantly large updates, Isn’t Rainbow Six Siege On like it’s 5th year of DLC now?? 

Anyway, I really just want to see this game getting the attention and recognition that these Developers Rightfully Deserve- It has the Potential to compete with and possibly even surpass Minecraft, we will just have to wait and see where that ship takes us.

6 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

what you said

i'd rather them just make it so i can run more than 4gb of ram on my game because the second you start putting any bigger mods on (island adventures, tropical experience) especially with caves the game becomes very unstable and at any moment the game could run out of memory and kick you out, disabling your client mods to boot.

the idea of a don't starve together that has endless scrolling with endless new islands to explore maybe even including hamlet sounds pretty interesting, but not something that I think would fit into the game super well, especially not as the default game mode that you play on. To be honest, I don't think the game even has enough content as it is to support such a game-mode after a few islands, even with the absolutely ludicrous assumption that hamlet + sw would be included in these islands.

On 12/29/2019 at 12:52 PM, AnitaCoffee said:

Mhmm, they slowly spread. I'm not sure if there's a cap on how large they can get though? I once watched one slowly creep over a pretty large area, right into my Oasis base. 

There are a limited number of meteor spawners in the game.  These can place a meteor within a certain range of them.  I do not believe they move, but their range is pretty large, and they can sometimes land meteors outside of their biome.  They have different timers for when they're active as well, which is why sometimes you get a few meteors but other times it feels like they are falling non-stop.  Multiple meteor spawners are triggering at once.  iirc there is a cool down of 2-10 days between meteor showers.

On 12/29/2019 at 8:21 PM, Mike23Ua said:

Really? So even though the pc version has the manpower to probably run the entire world with no complications, it only loads in certain areas at a time like Consoles? That is disappointing to say the least-

i used to game a lot back on PC and most the times people bought PC versions of console games simply because you could do more on the PC than you could the console, due to the Consoles hardware not being up to standards with the PC less lag.. better graphics, larger worlds, mod support etc.

You only need to compare Battlefield games on the Xbox 360 to the PC versions to understand the differences I figure PC would have: A good majority of those games map sizes and player counts were reduced drastically on Console to the point that If you could afford a PC- The PC was the obvious place to play.. Console map Sizes were cut down 3 or 4x their original sizes and player count capped out at around 18 players instead of the 64 we have today.

Honestly though- if I had the money to buy a new PC and I bought DST on it I would be kind of disappointed that Meteors and Wildfires can’t start in areas that I’m not around, Maybe there is a mod for this though??, Because I don’t know about you but I think it would probably be a lot of fun.

Meteors are not like wildfires.  If you leave a meteor area and return to that area later things can be destroyed.  You do not need to be in a meteor field for it to spawn.  You can even be in the caves and they will still spawn.  Its just a bad place to base lol

Archived