Massive heat deletion/creation bug from liquid boiling

I just found a source of limitless power due to what is probably a multiply when they meant to divide or a divide when they meant to multiply. 

More details here: 

Long story short, small, hot tiles, like 36 kg insulation at 2000K, have the ability to boil a lot more liquid than heavy hot tiles, like 10,000,000 kg insulation at 2000K.  The 36 kg is able to easily boil 5000 kg of water while only losing around 300 K, whereas the 10,000,000 kg tile has basically no effect. 

This can also work with supercoolant, allowing us to create infinite free energy by applying a hot tile to 200 C supercoolant, increasing its temperature to boiling for very little power.  Sour gas boilers?  Easy, just heat a 468 kg tile of igneuos rock and watch all the petroleum instantly flash in to sour gas!  And remember, SMALLER IS BETTER!  Keep in mind though that there seems to be some lower bound on the mass of the tile to cause boiling.  I bet it's related to the specific heat of the liquid, the tile, and the temperature of the liquid.

I built a system using this exploit to show how it can be used.  I have 2 steam turbines powered by 1 aquatuner (being fed supercoolant).  The supercoolant moves in a loop counter-clockwise.  The loop works as follows:  If the supercoolant under the turbine is less than 200 C, then it will be allowed to fall in to the chamber to the right.  Then, if the room with the aquatuner is hot enough (above 600 C), the supercoolant will be allowed to touch the 600 C igneous rock tile (mass 1062).  This will cause it to flash in to gaseous supercoolant, which will move in to the chamber above.  This is where the energy is created.  It is then forced further up by a bead pump to be moved to the other side, where it will condense and flow back in to the first chamber. 

This is just a relatively quick example, but I bet this could run far more than 2 steam turbines.  The turbines themselves are fairly standard.  The liquid valve is set to 300g/s, and it is moving petroleum.

image.thumb.png.2c21bebf865f6a4749877d82f0824ed5.png

Spoiler

This was built in debug, but, given the resources used, I could create this in a regular game.

Also, unrelated, on the left I cooled polluted dirt so it would offgas liquid oxygen, which was fun.

Conversely, this bug means that if you have heavy tiles, like excessive steam in the steam chamber of a steam turbine, and you put water in, it reduces the temperature of the steam far more than it should.  I believe this is the cause of the bug discussed in this thread:

@mathmanican, you might want to look at this mechanic.

Infinite power is boring and bugs like this are just infuriating. The more time I'm spending playing around bugs is less time I'm spending enjoying the game. I hope this gets fixed because I don't think I'll play anymore until it is.Thermodynamics are a very important of this simulation and they are so completely screwed.

2 hours ago, Satyrical364 said:

Infinite power is boring and bugs like this are just infuriating. The more time I'm spending playing around bugs is less time I'm spending enjoying the game. I hope this gets fixed because I don't think I'll play anymore until it is.Thermodynamics are a very important of this simulation and they are so completely screwed.

I'm not that worried about it because I use steam turbines to delete heat anyway rather than for power.  I have more power than I know what to do with.

5 hours ago, Satyrical364 said:

I agree.  I would never build this device in a survival game.  It is just a proof of concept to show a way this can be used to break the supposed rules of the game.  I believe contraptions like this encourage the devs to prioritize the bug.  A better demonstration would be a sour gas boiler that uses this tech, as you could generate a ton of power from the sour gas, while using very little of the original heat source.

Anyway, that's why I reported the bug, along with what I think the cause is, so that they can fix it.

Archived