What bottle-necking the most?

I see a lot of people talk about preference issues and its common for people to even use some strategies to avoid lag later in the game.

What is the biggest factor, hardware wise, that slows the preformence?

As someone who has - 8 RAM, sandy shores 3450 CPU (from around 2011) and a graphics card from the same time - what is the thing that would bring the biggest change?

These 2 recent threads can be helpful on that regard:

I got used (but also bored) to play with 3 duplicants only, from very beggining to the Temporal Tear. It's the most impactful strategy I ever used to go through 1000's of cycles with no lag.

42 minutes ago, Junksteel said:

I got used (but also bored) to play with 3 duplicants only, from very beggining to the Temporal Tear. It's the most impactful strategy I ever used to go through 1000's of cycles with no lag.

3 dupes?!? I tried to do 6 and it still lagged for me after a while... but I have hardwere from 2012 so maybe thats it? I cant run most modern high graphics games but its always because of the GPU.

what are your specs bro?

Idk my dude. I have an 8600k @5.1ghz, 16gb 3000mhz, gtx1080, ssd.
This game runs fine around 30-40 fps if at "normal" zoom levels (I play with the cam mod that lets you zoom out) on a large base with the game running max speed, goes down to 14fps zoomed right out to view the entire map.
If I move the cam around while paused it is fine, but when the game is running I try not to move the cam much. Im pretty happy with it and task manager shows it isnt maxing things out, but sitting around 50% usage. In fact I sometimes play ONI while in queue for Overwatch and leave it paused in the background without a huge drop in performance and I play OW at 1440p 144hz low-mid settings.
Passive cooling as much as possible to avoid excess moving packets, cutting down automation to happen within time periods to stop tiny activations and calcs everywhere all the time, limit critter pathing, are all things I try to do as much as I can.

From what I've seen, ONI is poorly optimized at multithreading, and is most affected by single core clock speed, ram clock speed, and SSD speed.

If you don't have an SSD in this modern age, you're doing something very very wrong, or you're poor. They're incredibly cheap for a 250Gb SSD, and many times better than a hard drive. Get a used one on ebay, samsung makes some decent ones, even the older models.

Overclocking isn't really recommended for older hardware, but that's about the only way you'd be able to squeeze more clock speed out of your build. RAM speed is limited by the CPU and the motherboard bios configuration.

Graphics card upgrades will not help your FPS at all, unless you're making a full upgrade to an entirely new system.

I had 8 gig ram before and had a lot of lag and out-of-memory crashes. Upgrading to 16 gig ram really helps.

From my personal experience, you cannot afford NOT to sweep all materials you dig up, because that is what mostly kills your performance (ONI uses a lot of ram/cpu calculating debris). I have a 100-duplicant base with decent fps and what makes it possible mostly is by sweeping up all debris you come across, or get the black hole mod from the steam workshop to get a building with which  you can delete debris. 

Lategame you gotta get rid of all that regolith piling up, or game will not run well.

On 20/12/2019 at 12:09 AM, KILLABUDZ said:

Idk my dude. I have an 8600k @5.1ghz, 16gb 3000mhz, gtx1080, ssd.
This game runs fine around 30-40 fps if at "normal" zoom levels (I play with the cam mod that lets you zoom out) on a large base with the game running max speed, goes down to 14fps zoomed right out to view the entire map.

That's really poor performance.

On a Ryzen 2600 (stock speed), 16GB DDR4 RAM (3000MHz), Radeon RX570 8GB, B450 MB and an Intel 660p 1TB SSD I get 60fps constantly (locked to 60fps) with 12 dupes to about cycle 400. After cycle 400 it occasionally dips below 60fps, and after cycle 1200 it doesn't hit 60fps anymore. However, it never dips below 32fps.

On a Ryzen 3600X, 16GB DDR4 RAM (3600MHz), Radeon 5700 (XT bios), X570 MB, and 2 Samsung EVO 970 2TB in RAID 0 I get 60fps constantly (locked to 60fps) no matter what.

1 hour ago, Saturnus said:

On a Ryzen 2600 (stock speed), 16GB DDR3 RAM (3000MHz), Radeon RX570 8GB, B350 MB and an Intel 660p 1TB SSD I get 60fps constantly (locked to 60fps) with 12 dupes to about cycle 400. After cycle 400 it occasionally dips below 60fps, and after cycle 1200 it doesn't hit 60fps anymore. However, it never dips below 32fps

Ryzen 1700 at 3.7Ghz, 3000MHz RAM, GTX 1080, random SATA SSD here, can confirm similar results.

3 hours ago, NurdRage said:

Are you doing any "good practices" like sweeping up debris or minimizing gas flows? or just playing willy nilly and still getting great FPS even at the end stage will fully mined map?

joining the question

@lxenzo ?

As for me, I do strict mono-pathing, ie. build bases and systems where there's one and only one way for any dupe to get from anywhere on the map to any other place on the map. I cull all critters I don't need and limit the area the rest can move in. And generally clear debris into a central storage when convenient. 

17 hours ago, Saturnus said:

That's really poor performance.

I dont think it is considering I have half a billion firefox tabs open and playing some kind of encoded video on at least one.
I know how to push for performance. What does this game need any more than what I am getting for? Panning the map smoothly while the game is running would be nice, but I dont expect it. This isnt an RTS, FPS, fighter etc that millisecond lags lose you the fight. I pause the game, set stuff up, then unpause and watch the drama unfold.

60fps constantly (locked to 60fps) with 12 dupes to about cycle 400. After cycle 400 it occasionally dips below 60fps, and after cycle 1200 it doesn't hit 60fps anymore. However, it never dips below 32fps.

So you are saying on a 399 cycle base, with the zoom mod installed and game running at max speed you can unzoom all the way to view the entire map from space to magma and not dip below 32 fps @1440p?

My rig can handle games like Tarkov, BFV, Destiny2 etc at 1440p 144hz with settings around medium.

On a Ryzen 2600 (stock speed), 16GB DDR3 RAM (3000MHz)

Surely you mean ddr4 pairing with a R2600 and b450.

oni-taskman.png

20 hours ago, meepmoop said:

joining the question

@lxenzo ?

I try to do that, but the only thing I've been consistently doing is filling out mined out biomes with regular tiles. It blocks out large chunks of the map for pathing and gas calculations. It also has the effect of consolidating debris into 1-3 tiles at the entrance to the biome.

Takes a lot of micro and time.

5 hours ago, Ixenzo said:

I try to do that, but the only thing I've been consistently doing is filling out mined out biomes with regular tiles. It blocks out large chunks of the map for pathing and gas calculations. It also has the effect of consolidating debris into 1-3 tiles at the entrance to the biome.

Takes a lot of micro and time.

Still one of the "good practices". I was hoping there was a way to get great FPS without the micromanagement of an in-game good practice. Nonetheless thanks. 

Archived