Critters should give small perks for expensive recipes

At the moment Broodling is the only one hard to get. 

And they should give bonuses based on how expensive their recipe is 

Stuff like - ok Mothling gives light

- 3 to 5% movement speed

- 4 to 7% slower hunger drain

- 3 to 6% extra damage or reduced damage taken

Gloom Gloom can give a tiny 1-2 Sanity per minute

Nothing game changing, just little perks that people can adjust based on what they need. And the x-y% can vary based on how well fed the critter is. 

And if those bonuses could compete with each other or even make players change pets based on situational needs even better. 

You see, when adding actual functionality to the pets, it makes them compete for the top, making them less like pets and more like mini perks. while they are not game changing, they are enough to make one always take a pet no matter if they actually like it, just for the boost.

1 hour ago, Frashaw27 said:

You see, when adding actual functionality to the pets, it makes them compete for the top, making them less like pets and more like mini perks. while they are not game changing, they are enough to make one always take a pet no matter if they actually like it, just for the boost.

But I think that’s better then never actually getting one, cause they are a waste right now.

12 minutes ago, NoscopeFelix said:

But I think that’s better then never actually getting one, cause they are a waste right now.

Yeah, they are meant to be cosmetics. Its a symbol to show that you are so accomplished/goal mismanaged that you are able to keep this living being with you for no reason other then just to have them. With perks, they lose that appeal and sort of show offity that the pets have now, and just become refuelable perks that float near you and thus lessens the most important part about pets, their design. Perks take away that design usefulness by shifting the focus away from  their design and instead to their perks.

13 minutes ago, Frashaw27 said:

Yeah, they are meant to be cosmetics. Its a symbol to show that you are so accomplished/goal mismanaged that you are able to keep this living being with you for no reason other then just to have them. With perks, they lose that appeal and sort of show offity that the pets have now, and just become refuelable perks that float near you and thus lessens the most important part about pets, their design. Perks take away that design usefulness by shifting the focus away from  their design and instead to their perks.

I disagree , but I do see what you mean.

4 hours ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

*proceeds to feed glowberries to vargling, glomglom, ewelet, kittykat, gibblet and wolfgang*

I always wanted a pet Wolfgang that doesn't leave me on the first winter and dies on its own. One could only be dreaming...

This topic comes up all the time. I wish pets would add tiny benefits.

On 11/30/2019 at 8:23 PM, Frashaw27 said:

There already is a pet that gives a mini perk and it's already the pet on top because no other pet gives perks, it's the moon mothling. Giving the other pets small perks in a similar fashion would add variety of choice, rather than create a hierarchy of usefulness, cuz we already have that: moth > all else. Anyways, I'm always choosing doggy.

Also, this is about small perks, the light from the moth is so small that it doesn't warrant you rush it, you'll be fine without it. Mothling still feels more like a pet, not a beneficial tool.

Archived