Lag free space design

full picture:

image.thumb.png.3ba946555d24e5960401f23d5660f2f6.png

use this way to transfer large amount of regolith to right, nearly 500kg per second? otherwise you could use 8 way conveyor rail, which is extremely laggy and inefficient.

image.thumb.png.499ae25478484c5c6c5082b6e6d3f296.png

drop all regolith to ranch room, the upper room will deliver all egg to bottom, the bottom use small room trick to kill shovel vole and extract meat.

image.thumb.png.b6f49c3668e577e14428a113fefc81f2.png

use door access control to separate jet suits and atmo suits. I only allow 4 digger/builder and 3 space man to wear jet and other dups wear atmo, more jet suits more lag.

image.thumb.png.04c8c8a759b63f7ac23670fcde7ecfba.png

3 minutes ago, crypticorb said:

I'm assuming you're using space-age materials for those diggers/conveyers, while using the regolith as coolant?

I don't think they come in contact with regolith at all. That is why this setup is so nice. I designed my own space setups to also avoid contact with regolith.

1 minute ago, Angpaur said:

I don't think they come in contact with regolith at all. That is why this setup is so nice. I designed my own space setups to also avoid contact with regolith.

The sweepers will still contact the regolith for a brief second while transferring it, though I don't know about the droppers. They function without power, and I haven't completely figured out how to utilize them to their full potential.

36 minutes ago, nakomaru said:

@crypticorb The equipment is cooled by piping and coupled to the machines by a film of any liquid.

Machine contents do no share their temperature directly with the machine, only the medium it is in and above. If it is a vacuum, no heat is transferred.

If I'm understanding this correctly, since autosweepers are a 3-tile building, you orient a sweeper vertically and have the bottom tile cooled by a liquid medium, and the material being moved will not interact with the coolant or building? Is this because the material being moved is only in the center tile of the sweeper, or in limbo somehow?

That would be very useful, and I could possibly build @paranoid945's design without space materials, and it takes far far less space than my current setup, which is a modified version of the dripping stair-step design with dirt tempshift plates to flash-absorb the heat to keep steel buildings from dying.

10 hours ago, crypticorb said:

If I'm understanding this correctly, since autosweepers are a 3-tile building, you orient a sweeper vertically and have the bottom tile cooled by a liquid medium, and the material being moved will not interact with the coolant or building? Is this because the material being moved is only in the center tile of the sweeper, or in limbo somehow?

That would be very useful, and I could possibly build @paranoid945's design without space materials, and it takes far far less space than my current setup, which is a modified version of the dripping stair-step design with dirt tempshift plates to flash-absorb the heat to keep steel buildings from dying.

they don't need space material, I build them with steel and purl super coolant on top but later I think they can still build with normal metal like copper or iron, and purl water or petroleum on top instead because robo miner, auto sweeper and water have no direct contact with regolith at all. however, the ranch room still need to be cool down, you may need to deal with that heat separately.

2 hours ago, suicide commando said:

Looking at the setup, how exactly does the digging and transfer of regolith work?

the auto sweeper deliver the regolith to auto dispenser and auto dispenser drop the regolith to the next auto sweeper's access range, and can not access again by the previous auto sweeper.

18 hours ago, crypticorb said:

The sweepers will still contact the regolith for a brief second while transferring it.

So if I have 2 sweepers placed in vacuum - first one picking up 1000C hot material and second one picking up same amount of same material but at 20C then the first autosweeper will heat up much faster than the second one? 

1 hour ago, Angpaur said:

So if I have 2 sweepers - first one picking up 1000C hot material and second one picking up same amount of same material but at 20C then the first autosweeper will heat up much faster than the second one? 

Rather more than faster

17 hours ago, crypticorb said:

This is essentially correct. The debris does exist when being handled. specifically it is in the center tile of the sweeper. Since this is in a vacuum it wouldn't ordinarily transfer heat with the liquid. But, because the liquid in this particular design is directly below the debris, it does transfer at a 1/4th rate. (This is how debris heat transfer works. It will try to transfer with the cell it is in. If that fails it will transfer with the cell below.)

You could work around this by placing the sweeper horizontally and having either end cooled.

3 hours ago, nakomaru said:

This is essentially correct. The debris does exist when being handled. specifically it is in the center tile of the sweeper. Since this is in a vacuum it wouldn't ordinarily transfer heat with the liquid. But, because the liquid in this particular design is directly below the debris, it does transfer at a 1/4th rate. (This is how debris heat transfer works. It will try to transfer with the cell it is in. If that fails it will transfer with the cell below.)

You could work around this by placing the sweeper horizontally and having either end cooled.

Interesting.

The 1/4 thermal transfer rate of debris with it's resting tile should be easy enough for a pH2O coolant loop in radiant pipes to overcome, even if the sweeper and other devices are not steel. I'll see about ripping out my current cludgy design and giving this one a shot.

@paranoid945 I've implemented your design, and it works flawlessly, but there's one thing I can't figure out. 

What's the purpose of the upper level of automatic dispensers? The sweepers can't reach that high, and they aren't really needed even if they could. The lower dispensers shift the material faster than the sweepers can move it by themselves.

2 hours ago, crypticorb said:

@paranoid945 I've implemented your design, and it works flawlessly, but there's one thing I can't figure out. 

What's the purpose of the upper level of automatic dispensers? The sweepers can't reach that high, and they aren't really needed even if they could. The lower dispensers shift the material faster than the sweepers can move it by themselves.

you could remove it and try, I think it is necessary.

On 11/29/2019 at 9:03 PM, crypticorb said:

You need one dispenser for each sweeper to put material. You can set dispenser in each of section, or you can speed up the process slightly, by setting every other dispenser on top of next section.

So, you need one dispenser in each section, or two dispensers in every other section

I'm confused.  The robo miners can see through the mesh tile so they can mine regolith anywhere right?  But can't the auto sweepers only sweep diagonally through the mesh tiles?  Some of them have a dropper directly above them so if regolith lands there, how can they sweep it?

1 hour ago, psusi said:

I'm confused.  The robo miners can see through the mesh tile so they can mine regolith anywhere right?  But can't the auto sweepers only sweep diagonally through the mesh tiles?  Some of them have a dropper directly above them so if regolith lands there, how can they sweep it?

they are delivered by the left sweeper.click the left sweeper for its range so you can see it covers the upper right spot.

Archived