Charlie Inspired costume

SR17740

So, I'm in year 12 and I have to create a major work for my textiles subject, because of how much DST I've been playing, I was heavily inspired by Charlie when making the design. 
unknown.png

Heres the design! It's very messily coloured right now but when I complete my full design I'll post it here. 
I'm going to be using this thread to document my progress, so yeah- hope you guys like it!

• Like 15

11 hours ago, thomas4846 said:

i'm a brit so yr 11 is max, but to actually talk art, i like the design but isn't it or wouldn't it be hard to create the flaps near the end as it kinda denies  gravity

Ah yes, it does! But!
I've thought of this, I'm actually in the process of creating custom frames for them! Heres a prototype
WIN_20191104_11_15_04_Pro.thumb.jpg.c0b1de568b4897f8da9714253fe01e2b.jpg

The final one will be metal so will hold its shape.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, PSYLKII said:

Oh wow!! That looks like an amazing project, I'm excited to see your updates!! I remember trying to do a textile project in my final year of school and it went horribly lmao, best of luck with yours!! 

Thanks!! I can share some of my previous projects if you'd like to see them? I'd love to see yours!

2 hours ago, thomas4846 said:

final question, will you wear it ? (≧∇≦)/

If it fits me, lmao

• Like 2

15 hours ago, SR17740 said:

Thanks!! I can share some of my previous projects if you'd like to see them? I'd love to see yours!

If it fits me, lmao

Absolutely! I'd love to see more! Oh it's been like 7 years, all evidence has been thoroughly destroyed lmao, I made sure of it haha 

• Like 1

image.thumb.png.9a55ca7eb75b4852277678e59e1196c3.png

Here's updated lineart for the costume! Colours remain roughly the same though, just haven't coloured it yet

8 hours ago, PSYLKII said:

Absolutely! I'd love to see more! Oh it's been like 7 years, all evidence has been thoroughly destroyed lmao, I made sure of it haha 

Heres some from the last 2 years! Sorry for the weird alignment, Not 100% sure how to change that.
Also yes I used the same skirt ok- I was lazy-

WIN_20181026_13_38_34_Pro.thumb.jpg.b96fe7947684e5dc11124010c7d3c4a3.jpgJPEG_20190918_105600.jpg

• Like 6

UPDATE!

image.thumb.png.fd798b7a990f66fede7516c1bab67547.png
A concept idea of what the insides of the coattails will be!

These panels here are what I'm referring too!
image.thumb.png.527dce4d5716c0c63712dbccc44a464b.png

Also, speaking of coattails, I ran into a major issue regarding the curls, the steel spring boning I bought for this, (which cost around $100 (AUD), aka not bloody cheap! D':) is too flimsy to hold the shape! YAY! So it seems I'm going to have to make a frame out of metal rods welded together, which is going to be very heavy and cause a lot of stress and strain to the fabric so that's fun! I'll update you if I find a workaround. Also ran out of fabric for the skirt which was from Singapore so I can't just go and buy more! (Sewing is fun I swear), luckily I found a solution but I'm not thrilled about this.
Hopefully, my next update won't be all bad news.

• Like 5

I haven't updated here in a while oh boy-
It's still happening don't worry, just not a lot of exciting things.
But a somewhat major redesign??

image.thumb.png.fd798b7a990f66fede7516c1bab67547.png 

I redesigned these panels, instead of this swirl pattern, I've decided to pull some inspiration from a cultural group that we've been studying, the Hmong people. They embellish their garments and textile art with intricate embroidery symbols. 
Recently, I finally completed the Metheus puzzles and the symbols used by the ancient civilization reminded me somewhat of the symbols the Hmong people use. 

So I'm replacing this swirl design with various symbols from the ancient civilization, I don't have the new design to show you yet but it's in the works so look out for it!

In other news, almost completed the skirt! Yay!

• Like 3