[Poll] On Caveless Worlds

WE NEED TO GO DEEPER/INTO THE NETHER  

163 members have voted

1. 1. DO you play caveless (forest-only) worlds?

2. 2. If yes, why?

• I like the challenge ruinless worlds present.
    • My PC can't handle the specs and lags out a lot.
    • Others (do list in the comments!)
    • I answered No.
  3. 3. If no, why?

• The game just isn't complete without caves.
    • My PC can handle the specs.
    • Others (do list in the comments!)
    • I answered Yes.

Plot twist: I love caves' environment + challenges + perks*, but hate the lag that comes with being out of the master sim. So I play forest-less worlds.

5dd12229f0992_Screenshot2019-11-17at11_33_41.thumb.png.edb8f1260237cf9a07d23ab93349818d.png

* many examples:

• a group of worms instead of hounds is something one can take on with a weapon and little or no armour
  • lantern/moggles fuel just about everywhere you go
  • no yearly nuisances to interrupt me from whatever I'm doing (deerclops, antlion sinkholes, frog rain)
  • consistently hit shadows twice per approach
  • befriend clockworks to make a wood/marble/treeguard farm close to your base
  • recruit treeguards to help you with Toadstool
  • get Winter's feast present any time of the day (and recruit Winona to maintain the hats ;) )
  • overpowered dead sister all the time

6 minutes ago, metallichydra said:

antlion will still affect caves. but instead of creating sinkholes, the antlion is a rock supply.

It won't when there's no forest world for antlion to be in. Remember, the antlion actually dictates whether/when the cave-in happens depending on its satisfaction/anger timer.

On 2019-11-16 at 12:33 PM, mistrbushido said:

You can get pig skin from touchstones.

In my friends' experience (I never managed to be online when they were running the cave server except for the first session) lack of hound teeth and Tam O'Shanters are bigger issues.

I like the aesthetic of the caves a lot, I'm just not well versed in dealing with depths worms or waves of Nightmare Cycle shadow creatures.

I was always terrified of the caves. Everything was so mysterious and scary, i didn't know what to do or where to go. Using Webber and his smaller sanity pool, never being prepared, I was always going crazy. Even when my girlfriend started making small bases down there I still stayed away. 

Then we really started utilizing Miner Hats and Lanterns, and my hunger for light bulbs spiraled out of control. I HAD to spend time in the caves.

Fast forward a year or so later and I absolutely, positively love the caves. They still hold that sense of mystery, but the fear has been replaced by wonder. I love mapping the caves, will always love finding and hanging out in the Mushtree forests, and love constructing cobblestone roads to every corner. We always build a summer base up top, and even with 4 flings and absolutely everything else we could ever need there, we always end up in the caves, until winter TRIES to push us up top (it doesn't always succeed). My upcoming pet project is scaled flooring way stations along the cave highway to make winter a little more pleasant down there, and we are currently gearing up for our first shot at Misery Toad, and have been talking lately about our first attempt at the FuelWeaver.

Absolutely love the caves.

On 11/16/2019 at 7:42 PM, Seero said:

How do you do a caves only world?

Do this, then remove the "caves" just before starting the server.

What's going on: The slots for custom world presets are shared between forest and caves tabs. You set the "forest" to a custom preset, which you then overwrite from the caves tab. This must be the last thing you do when starting up the world, so select mods etc. beforehand.

Archived