Wagstaff rework idea

I'm going attempt to change Wagstaff a bit, to make him more multiplayer friendly, and to avoid replacing Winona and Maxwell, AND to hopefully not be a celestial portal character.

Stats: 

Health:.....125

Hunger:....200

Sanity:......150

Advantages:

Briliant inventor: can craft the following recipes.

Telebrella and Telepad. Same crafting costs as base game. When using the telebrella, you will be sent to the closest telepad in the direction you're mouse is pointing. This would be done with the same field that the spyglasses do in SW, scanning the area in the direction you pointed the same way, and moving to the first telepad it sees. These can all be used by other characters the same way.

Spectoggles: Same cost as base game. Removes blur. Can see tentacles, plant diseases, and the outline of the meteor spawning zones. Can be repaired by Winona's tape.

Infroggles: Same as base game.

Visor: Same as base game.

Bug: Crafted with 1 live bee, 1 electric doodad. No direct function.

Vroggles: Crafted with Spectoggles and something else, I don't know yet. When wearing the Vroggles, the players view point will be attached to the closest bug, weather it's on the ground, in another players inventory, or in a chest. Durability lasts 3 days. (You can still control your character, and move items in your inventory. You just can't see yourself, like a real VR.) Usable the same way for all characters.

Hedge trimmer 2000: Crafted with 1 gears, 2 razors, 2 electric doodads. Structure. When the structure is activated by a Wagstaff player, the structure automatically harvests any berries, twigs, juice berries, and grass. 

Disadvantages:

Nearsighted: When not wearing any form of goggles, everything far away goes blurry, and he gets a -10% speed modifier.

Weak stomach: When eating any foods that are too much for his stomach he loses 5 health, and gains no health benefits. The foods that are like this are raw foods, dried foods, and any foods with Warly's seasonings.

Seeks forbidden knowledge: has a 0.75 modifier on positive sanity auroras, like an inverse of Wendy's power. On the moon, he has a 0.75 negative sanity modifier.

Starting inventory:

Spectoggles, Bug, Vroggles.

I'll edit in some art for the new items soon.

It sounds pretty cool! Especially the stomach nerf. Really like the trimmer too, kinda like a spiritual successor for the Thumper. The vroggles and bug seem kinda weird though. 

Not sure how Klei could add him since people would rage if it's a rework (since it'd delay the others) and if it's a paid dlc char, but unlike singleplayer, dst has a rabid modding community,  so who knows?

26 minutes ago, Well-met said:

thumper doesn't replace maxwell or woodie. It's immobile, bound by a prefinite range and waits on tree growth cooldown.

keep thumper in.

Early game, I'd say maxwell and woodie over the thumper, Once you amass enough gears and have like 10 thumpers, you can easily farm hundreds of logs every few days

2 hours ago, Hornete said:

Early game, I'd say maxwell and woodie over the thumper, Once you amass enough gears and have like 10 thumpers, you can easily farm hundreds of logs every few days

What if it was maximum 1 thumper per wagstaff?

47 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I think he’s PC/Hamlet exclusive

For people waiting for the release of Hamlet, they had Wagstaff released with DS Vanilla so that everybody with the game can play him. He is also the only way to get Electrical Doodads in a vanilla world.

Anyways onto the "rework"

On 11/14/2019 at 1:05 PM, Mooagain said:

Telebrella and Telepad.

Kinda powerful, but there isn't a way to truly "nerf" it's power. The best applications I see would to teleport to bases in the middle of the ocean for salt. teleport to the lunar island, and teleport to the atrium's heart.

Spectoggles

My problem is that most of this information can easily be avoided and can thus the use of them is very specific. The tentacles can easily be avoided by keep on running in the swamp. Metors can be seen very early on and thus can easily be avoided, even if the area gets absurdly large. Plant disease is the best part but can easily be dealt with by digging up the plants every 50 days or just using non disease able methods. It should also protect against sandstorm.

Infroggles

Make it actually heat vision and I will be content.

Visor

Besides the normal durability decrease for DST, it should also have a increase cost and a 5% movement penalty. The moment penalty along with the vision impairment, helps secure its role as Protection then Battle which would conflict with Wigfrid's helmets due to the visor being better in every way with the exception of seeing less.

Vroggles

My problem is how would you use this effectively. Sure you can check to see if you farms have grown or if your pig pen has respawned, but you can't do anything about it. You can see that they are done but since you can't do anything about it, it's kinda of pointless. Even with the ability of looking on other characters, it only really works for like roleplaying. Looking through other people is also kinda pointless since you leave yourself open and looking at other people serves no purpose unless you were trying to figure out where they're base is but you could also just follow them. In short, its a really cool idea but it's uses are mainly cosmetic or heavily limited due to not actually be able to do anything about what you are seeing.

Hedge trimmer 2000

This is like the exact thing that makes a character a swap character. You have this thing that makes survival much smoother but you also don't want to play that character instead of your main, so you just make the item/structure and swap back. The hedge clipper would make harvesting so much easier, so everybody will use it, but he also doesn't have any other spectacular upsides so once you make the initial structures, you only need him if you need more of the structures or just to restock on telebrellas. The changes are fine, but he also needs a reason to stick around besides replacements for tools already in the game that you can get somewhat easily.

Nearsighted

Just stright up make it like he is wading through a sandstorm without his goggles on, and have the Deset Goggles be able to somewhat fix his vision but only to standard vision with a little blur around the edges.

Weak stomach

Tbh, this is more om own idea but I think it would make Wagstaff a  little more dynamic then he is now, and make this downside stick more into later parts of the game. Make is so that if eats more food then he needs, he will take 1 point of damage for every 5 points gone over the max. This way, you wouldn't be able just to stuff your face willy nilly and would have to consider hunger more to properly mange it with taking little to no damage. This can also backfire as people just wait till he is starving and then eat a meaty stew but, I would stop you from relying entirely of health from food. 

Seeks forbidden knowledge

I mean sure, but eating a bunch of cactus can easily negate this so?

Spectoggles, Bug, Vroggles.

I would like it more if he started out with like 2 gears and 2 electrical doodads along with his initial Spec toggles to help him more easily get a start on his inventions.

Archived