The Space Scanner Column

I present to you, the Space Scanner Column or an SSC if you'd like.  This gives you 100% scanner coverage while taking up a horizontal footprint of 40-ish tiles.  You'll still need 6 scanner to achieve 100% coverage, however rather than space them out across the entire width of the space biome, they can be placed vertically instead.

This allows you a lot more freedom for building stuff in space.
5dbc4bcc65213_Scanners1.thumb.png.0e8cff18afb3270ba40e46679485f7f1.png

5dbc47a2e228f_Scanner2.thumb.png.b79cf469d35c3c4364851dbf1825c6ec.png

You should be able to place 12 tiles between each scanner, as shown below.

5dbc4a53a2633_scannerheights.thumb.png.75f49edadc90693b0bcedb919462488c.png

When a shower is detected it will wait for ? number of seconds, this you can set to what ever you like.  The doors will then repeatedly open & close, shuffling stuff to the right.  At the end of a shower, the bunker doors will open and the crusher doors will continue to operate for a short time, after which they will stop, allowing the scanners to resume scanning.

The pressure sensor and liquid sensors are there for manually setting the signals, to either open the crusher doors or open & close the bunker doors.  I used sensors for this, because Klei is tight and won't allow us to have automation switches set by the player instead of being dupe only interaction.

All scanners are linked to the same automation signal.

5dbc48a79b348_scannerauto.thumb.png.bc3af4fdc5fa27cd4cf0b0993b9d0738.png

Untitled.png.6a51238fae62b6e6e7d8257a8eed138b.png

Generally, all stuff travels to the right, I tested sending it to the left, but it never worked.

5dbc48b761abc_Scanners3.thumb.png.035d7a7e966d73fb13f4e4f4d60b5823.png5dbc48cb262ad_Scanners4.thumb.png.e06dae898aada121f327d79f0eaf3d52.png

If you don't delay between each of the lower doors won't all but the right most one crush the regolith to death?  That is, once the door closes, it will only move the regolith to the right instead of destroying it if the tile to the right is open, but if the other door is also closed... it's not open.

Also don't you only need to connect one of them to the automation wire?   I'm pretty sure that used to be the case anyhow.

@Craigjw We agree, there's no link between rego auto-dig system, and the 100% radar scan quality ?

One can be used without the other ?

If yes, I'm gonna use soon this column radar layout, but without the door mining-system.

I really, really do like this "discovery" (it is for me, at least), that you can vertically set radars to reach 100% !

21 minutes ago, OxCD said:

@Craigjw We agree, there's no link between rego auto-dig system, and the 100% radar scan quality ?

One can be used without the other ?

If yes, I'm gonna use soon this column radar layout, but without the door mining-system.

I really, really do like this "discovery" (it is for me, at least), that you can vertically set radars to reach 100% !

tell us how it went. also curious

I built this in survival, what you see is what I used.  I get 100% coverage with this setup, it works great, it's been active for over 1k cycles without issue.

If you don't like the doors, you could use a single layer of doors, the debris left behind doesn't affect the coverage.  I'm not sure if single doors will move debris though.

I used the doors for several reasons, firstly, I was lazy, second, it consumes no power.  They only blocks coverage when the doors are closed, but with the automation, the doors only crush the regolith for a short time after the meteor strike is over for about 30s or what ever you set it to.

I later placed a space telescope at the bottom of the setup, just to the left of the radar and this worked nicely also as it was much closer to an O2 supply than if it was in space and much easier for dupe access for research. I had to add some doors in various places to allow access for the telescope while limiting access to rocket pack junkies using the column as an easy exit.

I found that this setup was much much easier to make than a horizontal one, if that helps at all.

It's all made from cheapy cheapo cheap iron too.

I'm pretty sure you need to connect each radar to all other radars to get 100% coverage, it doesn't matter if there is functional automation like not gates etc between the wires, there could be a really complex logic circuit between each radar and this would not matter.  If there is no automation wire between radars, you won't get the coverage, this is the Network.

I don't care if the doors destroy stuff or not, but it happens that they don't seem to.  I've dropped loads of steel into these doors when I was trying something to the doors once and it never seemed to get destroyed.

The doors aren't what I was trying to point out with this build, how you remove the regolith is up to you, this was just the simplest & easiest way I could think to do it.

34 minutes ago, Craigjw said:

Just google search for "Oxygen not included radar cone", it's the first link

Google gives different results to different people.

And I was sure (from old time) there are no such picture in wiki, so not clicked on wiki link

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I think the image is a new-ish addition to the wiki.  As I also recall that it wasn't there a long time ago, back when dupes had to walk 15 miles per day to get to work, nowadays, they use a transport tube and have to walk 20 miles.

So I built this with two scanners and it has been working well, but I did some testing and it seems that the doors only push debris to the side.  Any solid tiles of regolith that fall into the doors is destroyed.  I guess if you just want to get rid of it that's good, but if you wanted to capture the heat from it or feed it too shove voles, it may not be so good.

14 hours ago, RonEmpire said:

In your automation diagram  you have "?"  -  what is the seconds used for that?

it's what ever you want it to be, i couldn't figure out a useful value, I think I left my setup at 1s.  It just delays the opening of the doors.

6 hours ago, Craigjw said:

it's what ever you want it to be, i couldn't figure out a useful value, I think I left my setup at 1s.  It just delays the opening of the doors.

I've got mine set to 1 second because I only have two scanners so the minimum detection time is just enough to get the doors closed.  The more scanners you have the more delay you can throw in to keep the doors open longer for solar panels to work more I suppose, but I don't have any of those yet.

So I've learned that Automation Wires and Bridges need to be made with Steel to avoid melting.    At the least don't use LEAD.  Had wires melt with lead liquid.  

Seems like rockets are so hot they'll melt any automation wires in the rocket bay on launch.   Gantry wires broke and released the gantry and caused that to break too. geesh.

16 hours ago, RonEmpire said:

So I've learned that Automation Wires and Bridges need to be made with Steel to avoid melting.    At the least don't use LEAD.  Had wires melt with lead liquid.  

I said that just a few posts ago.  What confuses me about when they melt is that instead of having a pool of liquid that is lost to space, you end up with a 5 kg chunk of lead.  I wonder why.

Archived