[Experimental Update] - 375751

Kevin

• Developer

Hey Grifters,

Updates have been a bit slow lately because most of our effort right now is focused on creating the very secretive new character. 

But! Here's some new content for Sal, to keep things fresh while you wait:

• Added mutators 
    •     Mutators are rules modifications that you can select at the start of a game.
    •     This is *quite* experimental, so caveat ludius
  • Added a new shopkeeper to the night market: The BEASTMASTER
    •     The beastmaster buys/sells/heals/upgrades pets, including domesticated shrooglets. Upgraded pets learn new attacks, wear battle armour, and have more health

View full update

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

• Developer

image.png

capture.png

In the next update, we're planning on shipping a bunch of mutators that you can mix-and-match and play with for your own amusement. Eventually, I hope to parlay this into a daily run system, although that's going to come later.

Not sure how many mutators will be in the update. We'll see how these ones go over as a start.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kevin said:

Just pushed out a small fix to the beastmaster, that would cause a crash after a couple of days when he, uh... cycles his inventory.

Should be live in a half hour or so.

This is still crashing for me. Do I have to restart a run for this to take effect after it crashed for the first time?

• Developer
13 minutes ago, pacovf said:

This is still crashing for me. Do I have to restart a run for this to take effect after it crashed for the first time?

Yes, unfortunately. The relevant agents were spawned improperly. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ok, some quick thoughts on mutators from half a run:

- First impressions is really strong. People loving you for free is crazy, people liking you is also strong because of the free negotiation support and the option to buy their social boon. People disliking you is *manageable*, and almost everyone that hates you can be provoked and killed. I know it sounds like it would be difficulty-neutral, but it actually makes the run quite a bit easier overall.

- Insomnia: effectively just a money sink, since you can always buy Fsshcakes and drinks right before bed (except after D2 boss). If you get a Dockhand to love you, the money expense is completely negligible. Shouldn't make the game much harder, but I still have to go pass the D2 boss a few times with this on to say for sure.

- Juggernaut: this is crazy, and fun. Both you and your opponents get the extra power. Smugglers get scary. Wild animal packs get scarier. Bartenders get really freaking scary, although they are normally alone. Not sure how it affects difficulty, but it's an interesting one, for sure. EDIT: leaning on this making the fights easier, overall, since you get to use the power bonus before your enemies do. Would be nice if the power gain was at the end of each fighter's turn, instead of the beginning... or at the beginning of the turn for everyone at once. Right now we can't trust the damage previews when juggernaut is on (we have to mentally add 1 to all of them right now)

- Starved: you still get cards from defeating bosses and accepting quests. Makes you really think about what you put in your deck, and makes graft and boon selection very important too. I was afraid that this would be a tremendous spike in difficulty, but my brief stint with it seemed quite reasonable. Then again, I did have First impressions on, so I might be downplaying its difficulty due to the boost from that mutator.

Haven't tried the other ones yet, although I have a feeling Hollow is going to be a tough one, especially combined with Insomnia. Roll with it will likely change the way we play the game too.

Edited by pacovf
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So I just finished a run with Hollow, Insomnia, Starved and First Impressions. That was the toughest experience I've had with Griftlands, since... well, ever. I've got to add something to my previous assessment of First Impressions: unless you really have to, don't talk to NPCs with harsh banes who you can't kill in a provocation right then and there. I got two Luminaris and one Bartender to hate me on day 1, which are suicide to fight with your starting deck. That was a very deep hole to get out of that I could have not gotten into by simply not talking to them.

Hollow, Insomnia and Starved are a brutal combination. I was constantly out of money, low on health, and had to skip many negotiations because I was at 0 resolve for long stretches of time (my fault for forgetting you can concede arguments when it's clear you can't win them). I've got to try again without First Impressions, see if it's still doable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1