Germ Sensor - Dupe/Material Check

Hello,

I was trying something different when I decided to clear out a slime biome, and put a checkpoint with chlorine and germ sensors to prevent dupes from going through until surface germs are clear, but it's not working how I thought.  My first test of a dupe going through with surface germs on him and a piece of algae the germ sensor didn't detect anything.  I really don't want to use sanitizers to prevent chlorine from bleach stone getting in the vacuum around my base, and I didn't want to use scrubbers also, as it takes like 6 of them to clean one piece of algae sometimes.  I don't like carrying slimelung into the base water cleaning room either as it spreads all over ladders.  

Did I set this up wrong, or do germ sensors not detect surface germs like I thought?  

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Loco

5dafcf66bf947_2019-10-22(2).thumb.png.a318743d0863d2d32b8eeb9f5ec99d64.png5dafcf6d686d6_2019-10-22(1).thumb.png.98146ef172668761ce6af45b789cc6d4.png

The germ sensors detect germs in the atmospheric gas of the tile it is in or conduit material. There's almost no way for a chlorine atmosphere to take on germs from your debris. What you should do is store all your stuff in a chlorine room and slimelumg will be eradicated before long.

6 minutes ago, nakomaru said:

The germ sensors detect germs in the atmospheric gas of the tile it is in or conduit material. There's almost no way for a chlorine atmosphere to take on germs from your debris. What you should do is store all your stuff in a chlorine room and slimelumg will be eradicated before long.

Thank you for the heads up on the germ sensors not detecting germs on debris.  I'll just put a sink in that little nook and store the stuff in there until the slimelung is dead.  Thanks again!

Out of curiosity, what is your motivation for sterilizing the slime? Slimelung is only dangerous while airborne (no risk from germs on objects/food/water) and it dies off in regular oxygen, so I don't really worry about keeping it out of the base. As long as you spam some deodorizers to eliminate PO2, it just dies off on its own.

I'll admit the unsightly green glow splashed all over my base in the germ overlay triggers my OCD a touch, but not so much to make me want to bother with the infrastructure to disinfect.

9 minutes ago, Supraluminal said:

Out of curiosity, what is your motivation for sterilizing the slime? Slimelung is only dangerous while airborne (no risk from germs on objects/food/water) and it dies off in regular oxygen, so I don't really worry about keeping it out of the base. As long as you spam some deodorizers to eliminate PO2, it just dies off on its own.

I'll admit the unsightly green glow splashed all over my base in the germ overlay triggers my OCD a touch, but not so much to make me want to bother with the infrastructure to disinfect.

If you don't sterilize the slime, the algae that comes out of it will release it into the air if used for making oxygen.

39 minutes ago, Chthonicone said:

If you don't sterilize the slime, the algae that comes out of it will release it into the air if used for making oxygen.

Ah, I usually end up on electrolyzers before distilling slime for algae. I guess if it releases enough germs to frequently infect dupes that'd be a problem.

5 hours ago, Supraluminal said:

A couple reasons; the OCD part for one :)  I can't stand seeing germs anywhere, it's literally a trigger.  Second, I thought dupes would contract slimelung if any food had the slightest germs on it, so I go out of my way to make sure a single germ never enters my base.  First it's the atmo dock, then the ladders, then it's they didn't wash their hands, and bam, all over the food.  Am I mistaken about how they contract the disease?  I've never had a dupe get it.  

6 minutes ago, CipherLoco said:

Am I mistaken about how they contract the disease?  I've never had a dupe get it.  

Food poisoning can only be gotten through eating/drinking. 

Slimelung can only be gotten if breathed. 

Note: airborne food poisoning and floral scents will overwrite slimelung. 

9 hours ago, Supraluminal said:

I find setting up a small slime disinfecting chamber super painless!

Sanitizer.thumb.jpg.85074eaf7403ee6e7d9fd171eb31198e.jpg

From left to right :

1 : Build that shape, and fill the polluted water tile with any liquid.

2 : Destroy those tiles, leaving you with a vacuum

3 : Put bleachstone in the storage bin, let it offgas until the vacuum is filled with 1800g chlorine gas per tile

4 : Move the bleachstone elsewhere, and set slime on a high priority

I usually set up one of these just next to my base whenever I'm gonna crack open a slime biome. They're basically free and immediately accessible, and help me with my OCD.

7 hours ago, Fleetfeet said:

From left to right :

3 : Put bleachstone in the storage bin, let it offgas until the vacuum is filled with 1800g chlorine gas per tile

I usually set up one of these just next to my base whenever I'm gonna crack open a slime biome. They're basically free and immediately accessible, and help me with my OCD.

I love it!  I've never made a one tile liquid lock, how do you do that?  Never mind on the how...  I just figured it out like 2 seconds after I posted that :)

I have a very similar problem and it frustrates the hell out of me.

I have a few such checkpoints as I dig in different directions. I place my distillers outside the base so the infected slime gets distilled right away. The resulting algae is infected and dupes are supposed to move them into storage in the chlorine room first. But instead they took the infected algae and supply o2 diffusers all over my base.

No it is not fatal and all my dupes are infected to a certain degree and they will all recover. I just do not like it. No need to tell me how not to fear slimelung and crap.

My solution was to use automation to ship all algae in the room of storage for these algae and turn off manual use.

3 hours ago, hedition said:

I have a very similar problem and it frustrates the hell out of me.

I have a few such checkpoints as I dig in different directions. I place my distillers outside the base so the infected slime gets distilled right away. The resulting algae is infected and dupes are supposed to move them into storage in the chlorine room first. But instead they took the infected algae and supply o2 diffusers all over my base.

No it is not fatal and all my dupes are infected to a certain degree and they will all recover. I just do not like it. No need to tell me how not to fear slimelung and crap.

My solution was to use automation to ship all algae in the room of storage for these algae and turn off manual use.

I hear ya man...  pretty soon, I'm going to lock all my dupes in their bedrooms and have everything automated.  I just wish we had an option on everything that a dupe can interact with to turn off/on manual use like converyor loaders.  It would save me so much headache to not have to worry about them doing something I don't want them to do and leave it to automation like I intended.  Certain storage bins, putting sand in sieves, kilns, distillers, etc, etc, etc.  let me turn off manual use!

10 minutes ago, CipherLoco said:

I hear ya man...  pretty soon, I'm going to lock all my dupes in their bedrooms and have everything automated.  I just wish we had an option on everything that a dupe can interact with to turn off/on manual use like converyor loaders.  It would save me so much headache to not have to worry about them doing something I don't want them to do and leave it to automation like I intended.  Certain storage bins, putting sand in sieves, kilns, distillers, etc, etc, etc.  let me turn off manual use!

It would be nice, yeah. As a workaround you can usually wall off stuff you don't want them to get at and just ship things in/out, but it would sure simplify matters to just have the manual use toggle.

13 hours ago, Fleetfeet said:

From left to right :

That's an elegant solution, for sure! Very compact and easy to do with simple materials.

I have to admit my own particular flavor of... well, maybe OCD is stretching it so let's say overdeveloped sense of correctness... prevents me from making much use of vertical water-locks or diagonal construction/deconstruction tricks (they're ~*exploits*~ dang it!). But for people who are willing to play ONI according to its own rules instead of the rules in their heads, it's a good solution. :)

Archived