What is the point of research modules once you are done unlocking all technologies?

I'm sorry if it is written somewhere as I did not see it. Playing right now my first map where I ended up sending rockets to space (and watching Brothgar's videos to find out how to produce liquid oxygen and hydrogen!), I am wondering if there is a value to keep any research modules on a rocket once you have unlocked all the things there is to unlock.

I'm trying to find out if I keep them or if I switch them out for cargos so I can get the materials that space planets can bring back (like tasty sleet wheat and juicy steel). Or keep some of them, in case there is some value. After all, right now, I keep getting more and more data-banks and unless I missed something, there is nothing to do with them once researches are completed.

Any thing I missed?

Each planet has some rare resources that you can only unlock by unlocking all the available research there.

This is how you find the best sources of fullerene, isoresin, and niobium. Research every planet until you have every item discovered.

57 minutes ago, avc15 said:

Each planet has some rare resources that you can only unlock by unlocking all the available research there.

This is how you find the best sources of fullerene, isoresin, and niobium. Research every planet until you have every item discovered.

Aren't the best sources of rare materials always the first two carbon asteroids? Considering the incremental fuel and time needed to go further?

4 hours ago, Oxygenbreather said:

Aren't the best sources of rare materials always the first two carbon asteroids? Considering the incremental fuel and time needed to go further?

Unless you are using a mod (I am), materials in planets will deplete very fast. This forces you to go for pretty much all the planets if you want a decent amount of space materials. Also, gas giants don't have default solid cargos, so a trip will give you a full solid cargo of the (???) material they contain.
Similarly, helium giants hold only niobium as solid cargo, so it is usually better to not risk discovering abyssalite on them as the (???) resource and go for a full solid cargo of niobium. It will net you more then what you would gain from closer planets even considering they are usually in the 100+k km mark, although one might opt not to bother with liquid hydrogen production, as it is quite resource intensive, needs a lot of setup work and requires space materials itself .
If you reasearched everything and have explored all planets, I believe there is no more use for research modules. Correct me if I am wrong.

4 minutes ago, Xaekai said:

I believe someone here on the forums said research modules to planets with pending research tasks are the only source of vacilator refills too. It would be nice to know the exact mechanics for that.

I can confirm this, I guess there is a %chance but I don't know more then that. Once all planets are researched, no more vacillator

For far planets can be up to 20% of fullerene - so we can obtane 200kg per bay

near planet have "trace amount" - about 1 kg per bay

so even with longer travel and more complex rocket we have great advantage to harvest rare materials from far planets.

But when we have hydro rocket we already have fullerene.....

5 hours ago, Oxygenbreather said:

Actually the best sources are gas & liquid planets that you discover rare resources on.

In my current game I don't have the BEST example, but:

image.thumb.png.a3575ba837368a5198bc9c1444e78a98.png

On this planet, any solid cargo I bring back is about 7% niobium, because 58% of the mass profile is liquid. (probably my best niobium source in this game)

Suppose you find a gas giant with a rare resource - you can wind up with a far planet that returns 100% of solid cargo as isoresin, or somesuch. If you could guarantee a return of 2 tons of isoresin, you'd gladly fly to a 160 km destination.

For far planets can be up to 20% of fullerene - so we can obtane 200kg per bay

Do you have a print screen whit a planet whit more than trace amounts of fullerene? I didn't see one until now.

Any thing I missed?

When i send a rocket whit a cargo hold i send for what i get except niobium and fullerene. I can always send to 10k planets but what i can do whit 20 tones of refined carbon? So i prefer to send to 40k planets and melt the ice, melt the solid co2 and convert it to polluted water, melt the solid methane and use the natural gas for power, and melt the o2 and convert it to LOX or use it for my dupes after is heated. 

I believe someone here on the forums said research modules to planets with pending research tasks are the only source of vacilator refills too. It would be nice to know the exact mechanics for that.

Yes but except the vacilator refills the data banks and artifacts get stacked in the rocket bay. For now we don't have any possibility to dispose it or convert it into something else. 

1 hour ago, tzionut said:

Do you have a print screen whit a planet whit more than trace amounts of fullerene? I didn't see one until now.

I think he's referring to this, but not all games have it:

image.thumb.png.0a39cf9d67359cfaf3688cae1be7ce35.png

It's also not really what we're talking about, "discoverable" resources.

The one that's more applicable to *discovery* is this one (don't have one in my game):

image.thumb.png.6bbfd7168d002a16d366e6d067ca5884.png

See since it's 100% gas, if it has a rare resource attached to it, even in trace amounts - if you send a solid cargo bay to this planet, each solid cargo bay comes back filled with 1t of that rare resource. Because, that's the only solid on the planet.

Helium giants, oily asteroids, red dwarfs, basically anything composed mostly of liquids or gases is somewhat useful for this purpose, they'll at least double your return on rare resources, if they don't give 100%. Like the oil planetoid I screenshotted before.

So, to maximize the number of neural vacillators and to confirm which resources is on which planet, I need research modules. 

I'll keep at least some of them around then and will build more rockets to use to get back rare resources instead.

I guess I will need much more steel then :)

Does anybody know the mechanics of the vacilators? I think you don’t get any if you send a research rocket to a fully researched planet, only data cores. I experimented with that for quite some time, but of course cannot be sure.

But for the fresh planets, is it better to go 5 times with 1 research module? Or do you get the same vacilator result when you go 1 time with 5 research modules?

3 minutes ago, Stoned said:

Does anybody know the mechanics of the vacilators? I think you don’t get any if you send a research rocket to a fully researched planet, only data cores. I experimented with that for quite some time, but of course cannot be sure.

As others stated above, vacilator charges are believed to be connected to researching unresearched data points. Once all is researched no more vacilator recharges.

Your second question I can't answer.

Archived