Transit Tubes

Searched the forums, read a lot of old posts about transit tubes. Seems to be a lot of concerns and complaints  with the transit tube system implementation needing improvement.  Biggest peeve I have with these transit tubes is the tube  interaction with ladders and fire poles. Such a pain and not in a good way to have to deal with this interaction of tubes with ladders/poles.

Transit tubes or maybe a new transit tube crossing part should be able to cross over a ladder or fire pole so they both exist in the same space. Heck, why not allow the transit tube to fully exist in the same space as at least a fire pole or a ladder, maybe both. Then you can route the tubes and the poles together. 

I get the 2 tile requirement to turn corners, etc.  But this inability to cross over a ladder(at least) without breaking the ladder flow along with the 2 tile system for turning corners is just a PIA. 

Guess the thought process here is eventually need to scrap all the ladders and poles systems built over time and totally replace with tubes. Thing is, need backup systems of at ladders for when tube system fails.

Where is the petition to stop the designers inhaling the polluted O2?

35 minutes ago, 7 and 4 said:

I tried this mod, because i liked the idea. But it did not work. Yes i could build behind ladders and other buildings. The tubes where there, but ony visualy. Dupes did not use them, because tht path was not working.

That mod is on the right track, but the implementation needs work.

Think about this:

If a tube is a large enough to fit a person inside, there is surely enough strength and room to toss on a few rungs on the outside of the tube. As this is plastic, the rungs would actually probably be little steps molded right into the plastic as part of the mold in real life. 

Bet if google long enough, can even find real life pics of this where there is attached rungs for climbing on the outside of large tubes. 

There needs to be a new item(that probably requires steel or some metals) that has an integrated tube+ladder for verticals.

For game play reasons, the cost in plastic should be pretty high. Or even add some metal in if thing the rungs might be metal. (but as mentioned above, most likely in real life these small vertical steps would be part of the plastic mold).

Tubes should be on their own layer, like electrical wiring or gas pipes. If those can, why not the transport system? I mean, if you see the tube problem coming right as your guys spawn at the printing pod, it's possible to design your base so the pain is minimized, but why does there need to be pain at all?

To me this seems like a minor annoyance and just pretty easy to get around. I wouldn't want special "ladder+tube" & "ladder+firepole" buildings. I'd be fine with a transit tube building layer. But it doesn't seem important to me either.

Archived