To much shipping causes extreme performance decrease

Just finished building my regolith cooled regolith shipping and to my dismay it causes extreme performance hit. Like I can feel the game "tick" even at lowest speed. Is this just something that is current issue, since I saw builds like this going way back, or is it just not viable and I should use something else.

5d7cc7a5b080f_2019-09-14(3).thumb.png.0af9cea49ae4dfe65867c0d71e79cdb3.png

Also if there is no way to move the regolith normally, how much performance hit can I expect from it just laying there stacking to crazy numbers.

2 minutes ago, Maxeek said:

Just finished building my regolith cooled regolith shipping and to my dismay it causes extreme performance hit. Like I can feel the game "tick" even at lowest speed. Is this just something that is current issue, since I saw builds like this going way back, or is it just not viable and I should use something else.

5d7cc7a5b080f_2019-09-14(3).thumb.png.0af9cea49ae4dfe65867c0d71e79cdb3.png

Also if there is no way to move the regolith normally, how much performance hit can I expect from it just laying there stacking to crazy numbers.

From what I understand, game calculates the temperature of each 25t stack of regolith, so given some 500+ cycles it can affect performance.

Yes, I'm also not using shipping (almost*) all, due to this. Especially similar to you I discovered some regolith rails really make a huge negative impact.

* The only exception is to pick cooled metal out of metal vulcanos in a steam atomosphere and molten glass. But also here drop them right outside the isolation wall to make the rails as short as possible.

14 minutes ago, Oxygenbreather said:

Yes, I'm also not using shipping (almost*) all, due to this. Especially similar to you I discovered some regolith rails really make a huge negative impact.

* The only exception is to pick cooled metal out of metal vulcanos in a steam atomosphere and molten glass. But also here drop them right outside the isolation wall to make the rails as short as possible.

Same here, I use one rail to pick up pd from sieves and then only for volcanoes and cargo bays.

1 hour ago, Steve Raptor said:

Sucks that we are at the point where we must limit our designs due to performance impact...

That point exists since oni bases growed bigger.
Pathfinding - one way road - storage drop onto one tile everything. Limit numbers / dupes / critters..
Yes,sucksz..

On 9/14/2019 at 4:41 PM, Oozinator said:

That point exists since oni bases growed bigger.
Pathfinding - one way road - storage drop onto one tile everything. Limit numbers / dupes / critters..
Yes,sucksz..

Well for the sandbox type of games, I suppose to some degree, optimising designs on CPU/RAM friendlyness will always also be a factor.

Similar to dwarf forstress (back when I played it) after the second goblin invasion, the game usually became "the fight for framerate" for me.

On 9/14/2019 at 6:56 PM, SharraShimada said:

They made piping multhithreaded, but i dont recall such for conveyors. Maybe its coming soon.

Gas/liqiud pipes share the flow manager, meaning multi-threading that one will benefit both. Solid "pipes" has a solid flow manager and as such is a standalone task to make that one multithreaded. I don't know if they have multithreaded it already, but in general we can't assume anything from gas/liquid pipes to apply to solid without verification. However because gas and liquid share flow manager, we can assume what applies to one also applies to the other unless confirmed to not be the case.

On 9/14/2019 at 6:58 PM, Xuhybrid said:

Just curious but is there a valid reason for stacks to be limited to 25t? When you can have millions of a resource in world, isn't splitting them into small stacks only a bad idea?

Maybe floating point rounding issue. They have a tendency to use floats rather than doubles. This means they use less memory, but it introduce a precision/rounding problem. In theory if we can have unlimited stack sizes, then we can make a stack, which is so big that dupes can pick up from it and the mass won't shrink because what the dupe picked up is below the accuracy of the float variable.

This explains why it's a good idea to have a limit. It doesn't directly explain why they picked 25t. I don't want to do the math to see if something bad happens at 27t or if it's just a nice looking randomly picked number.

Archived