New Game Mechanics Explanation

• Developer

I normally go through the files, every update and do comparisons and mechanic explanations, but that got to tedious, so now, ask me about any new/changed mechanic, and I will answer it for you based on the games code, I will also post interesting tidbits I found myself; Please check this post to make sure the answer isn't here, if it already is, I will ignore your question.

Malbatross Spawning:

Spoiler

Immediately after TUNING.NO_BOSS_TIME(26 days), the game will pick 25% of the shoals in the world, and if you approach to close, it will spawn the malbatross.
After you kill it, or if you reload the game(the reloading the game thing is probably a bug though), it will be between 5 and 15 days before the game will pick 25% of the shoals(randomly) that could attempt to spawn the malbatross again.
If you ever reload the game, the 25% of shoals will get re-randomized, meaning anytime you save near a shoal, upon entering the game, you have a 25% chance of instantly summoning malbatross assuming that the spawn timer is at 0.

Malbatross Feather Drops:

Spoiler

Upon hitting the malbatross, he will attempt to spawn 4 feathers with each feather having 5% chance of dropping.
If the malbatross hits a mast, he will drop 3 feathers, and attempt to drop 2 more with a 30% chance for each.
You can get 0 to 4 feathers per hit, getting 4 is a ‭0.000625‬% chance though; Upon hitting a boat mast, he can drop 3-5 feathers, getting 5 is a 9% chance though.

Malbatross Death Drops:

Spoiler

Guaranteed Drops:
7 Meat, 1 Malbatross Bill, Winged Sail Blueprint, Feathery Canvas Blueprint, 2 Blue Gems.
Chance Drops:
1 Blue Gem at 30%
1 Yellow Gem at 5%

Saltbox:

Spoiler

makes anything inside it spoil at 25% of the normal rate.
it can only take things that are "cookable", but not "deployable", so anything which you can cook, but can also plant(like seeds) won't be allowed.
so, needs to be capable of spoiling(duh!), needs to be cookable over a campfire, and not be plantable.

Salt Spice:

Spoiler

makes whatever it is applied to give +25% health.

Rocksalt:

Spoiler

Applying rocksalt to a food will add 50% of its max spoil time, back onto its freshness, when food is stacked, freshness gained would be less, since the same freshness stacking rules apply.

Treeguard Spawning:

Spoiler

Previously, treeguard spawning chances used the world's global age, now it will use the players age, meaning a new player on a long running world won't be spawning treeguards like mad.

Boat Movement:

Spoiler

boats now have a capped top speed, this is a value of 5, meaning you can only move a maximum of 5 units per game tick(30 times a second).

Malbatross Bill:

Spoiler

The malbatross bill has 267%(0.8) better movement speed over the basic oar(0.3), and 160% better movement speed over the driftwood oar(0.5).
The malbatross bill has 600 uses, over the 500 uses of the basic oar, and 400 of the driftwood oar.
The Malbatross bill only loses 6 durability instead of the 25 the basic and driftwood oar lose when used to attack/when you fail at rowing.
The Malbatross bill does 27.2 damage over the 17 the basic and driftwood oar do.

Winged Sail:

Spoiler

The winged sail has double the maximum velocity(3) of the basic sail(1.5).
The winged sail has 167%(1.0) faster movement force than the basic sail(0.6).
88 winged sails give you a speed of 3.3333333333333~, 13 winged sails will give you 3.301036996531 speed, with the other 75 sails giving you the last ‭0.0322963368023‬ speed.

Normal Sail:

Spoiler

88 normal sails will give you a speed of 2, 9 will give you a speed of 1.919292786, with the other 79 sails giving you the last ‭0.080707214‬ speed.

Shoal Spawning:

Spoiler

For retrofitted worlds, every OCEAN_SWELL tile has a 0.03% chance to have a single shoal.
For newly generated worlds, every OceanSwell room, it will generate a bunch of points(don't ask me how many or where, I have no clue.), and each point has a 0.5% to have one of these objects:
Sea Stack: 85.47%
Sea Stack Bunch(this is basically a cluster of sea stacks): 8.54%
Shoal: 5.98%

Wereform speeds:

Spoiler

thanks to @Ezaroth for this info:
Weremoose is 0.9x speed, Werebeaver is x1.1 speed, Weregoose x1.4 speed.
For comparison, walking cane gives 1.25x speed, overcharged WX-78 is 1.5x speed.

• Developer
2 minutes ago, lakhnish said:

Are the Salt Rocks renewable (barring Green Gem shens with the Saltbox). I couldn't find anything that said yes.

Not currently, though I see this currently unused snippet inside the saltstack prefab file:

local function spawnerfn()
    local inst = CreateEntity()

inst.entity:AddTransform()
    --[[Non-networked entity]]

inst:AddTag("CLASSIFIED")

return inst
end

so they are probably planning on making it renewable.

I just added Boat Movement, Malbatross Bill, and Winged Sail changes/stats, enjoy.

• Developer
32 minutes ago, JimmyJam said:

How does the game place shoals? Can they spawn close to the island and is there a cap on how many can be in the world?

Its okay if you cant answer. Would just be cool to know. :)

Updated main thread with the answer :)

3 hours ago, lakhnish said:

Are the Salt Rocks renewable (barring Green Gem shens with the Saltbox). I couldn't find anything that said yes.

I just looked again, and the same code is used for Sea Stacks to spawn clusters of them together, so at the very least we have no indication of them making it renewable.

I don't know if it counts as a game mechanic, but how much slower is woodie's weremoose form when compared to the normal walking speed of a character? Also how much faster/slower are his other forms - weregoose and werebeaver -  when compared to the normal walking speed of a character?

5 minutes ago, Picklesaurus said:

I don't know if it counts as a game mechanic, but how much slower is woodie's weremoose form when compared to the normal walking speed of a character? Also how much faster/slower are his other forms - weregoose and werebeaver -  when compared to the normal walking speed of a character?

Moose is 0.9x speed, Beaver is x1.1 speed, Goose x1.4 speed.

For comparison, walking cane gives 1.25x speed, overcharged WX-78 is 1.5x speed.

On 9/14/2019 at 3:40 PM, lakhnish said:

It should have retroffited, no?

It didn't, at least in my world. I revealed whole world map and even tried c_gonext'ing but it didn't find anything.

Update: I ran into a salt formation today and it seems I missed it as I was looking on the map. Perhaps I was checking for a wrong prefab. My bad.

Archived