Moon glass shovel idea

I've recently came to an idea of what Moon Shovel (if it even gets introduced) perks would be. Stone Fruit bush, which can be found on Lunar Island, is the only Disease-vulnerable plant that can be turned into Disease-prone version of itself (via sprouting stone fruit). That's because when the sprout grows up, it becomes 'natural' and not 'replanted'.

So the 1st perk would allow to safely and carefully replant plants so when they are planted afterwards they'll behave as if they were natural (non-replanted) and as such will be prone to disease.

And the 2nd perk would allow replanting any plant in the game that can't be dug normally (reeds, cacti, banana trees, lichens, light flowers, lesser glow berries).

Since moon glass axe has 0.8 durability of normal axe, moon glass shovel would have 20 uses (normal shovel has 25).

What do you all think?

2 minutes ago, shadowDigga said:

So the 1st perk would allow to safely and carefully replant plants so when they are planted afterwards they'll behave as if they were natural (non-replanted) and as such will be prone to disease.

This perk would be great, and maybe we could enable diseases again on world setting (just to avoid it without cheats by using the glass shovel hehe)

3 minutes ago, shadowDigga said:

And the 2nd perk would allow replanting any plant in the game that can't be dug normally (reeds, cacti, banana trees, lichens, light flowers, lesser glow berries).

But this perk would be too much OP. No more travels to swamp, desert, underground, or even summoning the forest stalker

I don't even use berry bushes for food and if this thing existed I'd be on that moon island in 2 days just for the 1st perk.

Would finally let us have some bushes for decor without worrying about losing them/having them turn ugly.

Currently I just leave my juicy berrys where they are and put some flooring and a lightning rod near the 3 bush pond setpieces. 

To be clear, I've already set up my idea of a Moon Glass Shovel in a mod :

steamuserimages-a.akamaihd_net.gif.281d11cf7bb04f27f1b66d3a910bea03.gifMoon Glass tools aren't magic but induce a stronger effect on their default purpose :

We've seen that the axe is simply more effective, but also frailer. And since an axe can't do the full job by itself you still need a shovel to remove the stumps, so a Moon Glass Shovel should make also a faster work, but breaks more easier.

So this is what the one I've made on my mod do, you can remove tree stumps on a medium radius on a single action but it will deplete faster than a default shovel.

The only problem with your concept is that I don't see why Moon Glass could be related to plant diseases, and for the second perk, even if the shovel have lesser uses, it is renewable, so it doesn't matter if it's not about farming resources such as log, relocating regional plants is kinda game-breaking.

Edit : And this is, I believe, the reason why the disease has been added to the game, so you don't put your entire map on a single point, if you want to do that, you need to take care of it, the bigger it is, the harder it will be. It's a deal.

3 hours ago, ADM said:

I don't see why Moon Glass could be related to plant diseases

Moon Glass is found on Lunar Island and tools made of it can only be made here. Stone Fruit bush, the only relocatable disease-proof plant also comes from Lunar Island. So, basically, since they  both have same origin, they may have related properties.

3 hours ago, ADM said:

even if the shovel have lesser uses, it is renewable, so it doesn't matter if it's not about farming resources such as log, relocating regional plants is kinda game-breaking.

It's not game-breaking, it's a feature that gives plants that only have occasional uses a regular use. Swamps can be cleared out of tentacles and spiders completely and then going for reeds becomes annoyance, not a challenge. Going to Lunar Island takes time, and you can only have few tools on you at a time. That means you can potentially be spending more time AT FIRST, but then once you relocate the plants you'll save a lot of time collecting them afterwards.

As for your mod, are you sure that going to Lunar Island, farming shards, making few shovels and going back to chop wood and dig multiple stumps at the same time will take less time than just using a regular shovel without going through all the effort to get moon shovel as you designed it?

3 hours ago, ADM said:

And this is, I believe, the reason why the disease has been added to the game, so you don't put your entire map on a single point, if you want to do that, you need to take care of it, the bigger it is, the harder it will be. It's a deal.

Then why are grass geckos and twiggy trees which can be put at single point disease-proof?

rather want a moon pick to be honest.

18 minutes ago, shadowDigga said:

Then why are grass geckos and twiggy trees which can be put at single point disease-proof?

because walls weren't designed to trap mobs in the first place. Dunno about twiggy.

5 hours ago, shadowDigga said:

Moon Glass is found on Lunar Island and tools made of it can only be made here. Stone Fruit bush, the only relocatable disease-proof plant also comes from Lunar Island. So, basically, since they  both have same origin, they may have related properties.

It's not exactly correct, the Stone Fruit bush isn't disease-proof, it simply working like a tree and a workable plant at the same time, if you use a shovel and replant it, it will turns like this : stonefruitbush_000.png.abd956899d5f34f9beac4be675ec05a2.png But like a Pine cone, if you use the Sprouting Stone Fruit, you generate a new plant which don't trigger the disease component the same as a Twiggy Tree or a Grassy Gecko that aren't transplantable, since it's a new plant.

And this is the function all the dug plants of the game share, the only exception is the Spiky Bush :

local function ontransplantfn(inst)
    inst.components.pickable:MakeBarren()
    makediseaseable(inst)
    inst.components.diseaseable:RestartNearbySpread()
end

So if you want a plant to not active the disease, you have to spawn a fresh one instead of using a shovel.

6 hours ago, shadowDigga said:

As for your mod, are you sure that going to Lunar Island, farming shards, making few shovels and going back to chop wood and dig multiple stumps at the same time will take less time than just using a regular shovel without going through all the effort to get moon shovel as you designed it?

It's just the same as the Moon Glass Axe, you farm "rarer" resources to build stronger tools, I'd like to make a reminder that a Weather Pain ask for a stack of Goose Feather, Volt Goat Horn and Gears, which is more gathering than just waiting for the full moon to harvest your Hot Springs, unless you use Deconstruction Staffs to make your outgoings lesser consequent, and you're definitely not about to use a DS on a Moon Glass Tool I guess ?

And I'm not an expert in theory crafting, I've made this mod in something like one hour for fun, digging something like 5x5 stump squares sounds correct to me.

Plus, I'll not develop more on why being capable of relocating all plants is op, just keep in mind that changing a map in a barren world with a massive farm at a point that never broke is not the dev's wish.

This is just waaaay overpowered, both the perks.

The 2nd one breaks the game design. Some things should be non-relocatable, to make you plan ahead.

1st function is strong as hell, because disease is such a great factor. heck, people plant spiky bushes because disease is an issue

the design of moon items have to be either related to fragility+strength package, or related to combating nightmare creatures

that design is good enough

Archived