Vacuum / Space Exposure mechanics

Would be really nice if Klei could consider taking a fresh pass at the whole "Space Exposure" / gas movement mechanics. The rate at which a gas is vented out of a room when it's connected to space (such as a rocket silo) is just stupidly slow considering it's meant to be connected to a hard vacuum.

Dozens of cycles while it slowly draws the gas level down mcg by mcg is not only counter-intuitive to even the youngest schoolkid that has read or watched anything about space, It makes the game just frankly tedious in some areas.

Please Klei...  re-work the way in which gasses travel when exposed to space, it shouldn't take dozens of cycles for a room to reach vacuum if it's open to space.

2 hours ago, SamuraiJones said:

it would add an interesting twist to the game

It would almost be like a completely different game.  I look forward to a DLC that adds PV=nRT to the game, though they'll probably have to make sure dupes don't boil.... otherwise it might not be family friendly. :) 

7 hours ago, Lurve said:

It's actually a lot more realistic than people getting sucked through pinholes and stuff flying everywhere.

What is missing is water boiling when exposed to very low pressures.

That over-used movie trope is pretty silly indeed :D  Sadly they did not understand that force = pressure x area, so a tiny pinhole isn't going to suck a person into space....

However ONI is just as bad in the opposite direction tbh..  watching the gasses take a leisurely stroll towards hard vacuum is tedious in the extreme. It should not take dozens of cycles for a room connected to multiple tiles of space above it to empty to a vacuum as it currently does :S 

9 minutes ago, bobucles said:

Large enough that you won't have any air pressure left to push the person out.

Very true...but imagine you are leaning on the wall, a micro-comet hits your ship rips a hole in the wall and you as well...you would be sucked out from the inside unable to move from the wall....yuck one of worst deaths i can imagine

Screenshot_20190803-145116_Google.jpg.639a313b378d9ede1c80443816a3c0b1.jpg

Just like in southpark in some way...great episode btw :)

The pressure equalisation is slow all over the game. When you make an "explosion" of gasses it still moves pretty slow. But it`s realisitc considering the gas have really high inertion in this universe. Gasses here are like a gel or foam but mostly behave properly.

High pressure gases run away into space way faster than the low pressure. You will get left with micrograms of gas floating around like when using pumps to vacuum stuff. It`s realisitc within the rules this 2d world uses.

Wind and fluid currents in general would be nice for the game.  I'm hoping for them to be part of a major expansion for the game.  However at the moment it's important to remember that there is only slow diffusion.  So setup your air distribution and airtight doors as appropriate.  Just try not to abuse silly water-locks and liquid towers.

My last game, I made a little 1wide column of water for a heat exchanger. I put a liquid vent at the top and let if fill. Except a bit of Co2 got inside, and then it drifted to the bottom, with oxygen on top of it, and that formed a plug. Water couldn't rise, cuz Co2 was there. the co2 never moved, cuz it could only move up, and oxygen was on top of it.

So eventually water pressure built up and burst through my metal tiles. boom! Seemed a little non-intuitive. it seems like some basic pressure logic (fluids can displace gases) would fix that, but that's probably more complicated than it sounds. Oh well.

I'd love to see it changed, but i'm not really expecting it, dlc or otherwise. Partially because processor load is so high as-is. We'll see though.

Archived