Ranching shine bugs

Well, that's something I never did before. I have no idea if there is a meta or at least a good design for this type of ranch. I want to try the waterfall design from Lifegrow to power up solar panels but has no idea how to start to generate shine bugs in number.

2 minutes ago, Junksteel said:

has no idea how to start to generate shine bugs in number.

Honestly just feed them.

They produce an egg every 1.5 cycles. A shine bug will be around 10 after 25 cycles. And then those 10 will be 100 in 25 cycles. Then 25 cycles after that they will be 1000.

You get the point.

No need to feed 25 cycle critters. They always drop one egg regardless. (Except abyss and radiant, those will starve.)

Increase their population by grooming them and that number will remain stable even without food.

If you want food from bugs, sorry. You don't. Most meat is free, but all eggs cost time. And bugs are the worst eggs in the game.

From my experience, shine bug power is not worth the performance hit. Good luck.

5 minutes ago, nakomaru said:

Increase their population by grooming them and that number will remain stable even without food.

That's exactly what I needed. Feeding them was something I didn't want to do.

5 minutes ago, nakomaru said:

From my experience, shine bug power is not worth the performance hit. Good luck.

You gave me hope and destroyed it instantly afterwards in the same reply.

I was deceiving myself thinking "yeah, they just go up and down, what could go wrong right?" :D

No way I'm gonna try this for now, thanks for the advice. It's a beautiful build but will probably melt my pc.

3 hours ago, nakomaru said:

My current "debug tinkering save" has between 2-3000 shinebugs spanning various builds - all confined with reduced pathing. Barely notice any difference in FPS after the game loads in.

2 hours ago, Junksteel said:

I was deceiving myself thinking "yeah, they just go up and down, what could go wrong right?" :D

Don't be deterred, give it a go yourself :) A lot of people play this game on computers made out of hopes, dreams and cheese - those people will tell you that oxygen lags their games. Get stuck in sir :D 

None of those people were in this thread though. i7-9700K, 32GB@3200, RTX2060. Good luck finding anything that can run ONI much better. Just sharing my experience with shine bugs and hopes that he tries it on his own.

3 hours ago, Junksteel said:

No way I'm gonna try this for now, thanks for the advice. It's a beautiful build but will probably melt my pc.

Some advice:

1. Save your game, probably under name "before spacerat" or something similar. Write down your fps as 1st point
  2. Grow them in big numbers, until you're satisfied
  3. Save your game, under name "after spacerat"
  4. Notice how much fps now, write down as 2nd point
  5. Kill all spacerat, exterminate them
  6. Write down your fps as 3rd point. Now you can decide whether it is worth for you or not. Share your numbers in forum :D
  7. You can reload your game from "before" or "after", depending on your final conclusion

I didn't notice much myself, just like @Lifegrow. But I only have around 200-300 bugs, roaming free inside base for 3-6 fps. I already can't see anything in many gather spots because too bright. That was personal test in launch test, meant to check how performance increase that Klei does before.

ps: Step 2 need some time, the best to compare is between 2nd point and 3rd point.

Good luck hunting spacerat :devilish:

30 minutes ago, nakomaru said:

None of those people were in this thread though. i7-9700K, 32GB@3200, RTX2060. Good luck finding anything that can run ONI much better. Just sharing my experience with shine bugs and hopes that he tries it on his own.

Wasn't directed at you specifically bud, was more the collective "fps-crazed" masses that patrol the forums :p You know the ones - all opinions, no testing/knowledge. 

Archived