Why are bead pumps not symmetrical?

I dont think its because of this, neither the detect or absorb range interact with the two blobing liquid tiles.
It reminds me a thread with a falling liquid acting like an air pump but I can’t get my hands on it.

Edit : Okay it's simply the liquid bead gas pump

Check with the filter element overlay, liquid should acting the same both way, its just a visual effect.

46 minutes ago, Yunru said:

I know this is your area of expertise :p

12 minutes ago, Siromatik said:

It reminds me a thread

(Grabs another link from browser history....)

@Yunru, you were the first to notice this, back when that post was put up, and made a comment in the following thread.

Why does it work this way?  ONI Physics? Black magic? Or maybe it's just like this:

02e5982a343032dcb6e8283f80fe0936.jpeg

Notice how the side matters. :)  

Honestly, I don't know why it works different on each side, but both effects can be used.  I like dropping liquids off the left side when I want to make a large waterfall (useful for making perfect liquid locks on many floors all at once). Anytime I want a bead pump, I always drop liquid to the right. 

I think i know. So i noticed this before with other threads. It looks like oni physics works from to to bottom and from left to right. Co2 moves bottom right. Waves move right. Clock is counterclockwise. It looks like gravity is somewhere on the right side. Thats why those pumps are not identical. 

23 minutes ago, mathmanican said:

@Yunru, do you need details to guarantee one or the other? Will be out for a while but Will reply later.

Nah, I'm good. Abandoned using bead pumps for airlocks when I found out they're slower than even mini-pumps.

What I'm about to say might be completely stupid, I don't spend that much time testing the physics, and I've never tinkered with bead pumps as of now. Yet I have the feeling that many, many designs using ONI physics, including this one, aren't spatially reversible from what I've gathered over the course of the years. I'm confident we can discard the hypothesis of symmetry breaking being implemented in ONI, and I would consequently guess on sequential computation and rounding errors. We've seen heat exchangers, gas and liquid flow, conversion and heat deletion exploits, pumping, and as a bonus wild guess, heat transfer in general, being biased towards a specific orientation. I feel like when a parameter is being updated between two ticks, the game checks other/adjacent parameters to estimate the new value in a specific non-random order. In most cases, this order has an inexistant, or negligible at best, impact on calculations, but in some cases, either the binary ones (absence/presence of an element in a tile) or those who aim to test the limits of the engine (heat transfer exploits), this can lead to some rounding errors/approximations/"choices" which, over a substantial amount of time, can be measured/felt in game.  

5 minutes ago, Yunru said:

. Abandoned using bead pumps for airlocks whe

You can build two waterfalls next to each other to create a perfect liquid lock of any height provided you run water off the left side. But then we are back to liquid locks....

I'm excited to see the newest airlock. Good luck in that heat wave.

4 minutes ago, mathmanican said:

I'm excited to see the newest airlock. Good luck in that heat wave.

Just went live. And by the gods it's so dry that I just heard thunder so loud that it hurt my ears. Only a single strike though.

Like, I've been basically adjacent to lightning strikes (lightning conductor in the garden), and this was at least twice as loud as I've ever heard.

Archived