[POLL] Which of the following needs the most urgent attention?

[POLL] Which of the following needs the most urgent attention?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following needs the most urgent attention?

• Gassy Moos
    • Zombie Spores
    • Germs being too insignificant
    • Cooling Options
    • Mass Duplication
    • Conveyor Belts Conducting Too Efficiently
    • Nuclear Power Generators
    • New Ways To Produce Bleach Stones/Buffing Pufts

3 minutes ago, mathmanican said:

I'll put up a crazy build using matter conversion latter tonight. Someone forgot it exists. ;)

mass conversion is pretty pressing, I completely forgot about it. Luckily it isn't a huge issue since you only really encounter it if you are actively looking for it.

28 minutes ago, Squeegee said:

Luckily it isn't a huge issue since you only really encounter it if you are actively looking for it.

Or if you have a cool steam geyser.... Or if you have water falling... Or if you use a deodorizer in a place where Co2 could get to. Or if you place slime in chlorine under 1800g.... Or.............. The list affects pretty much every player in every game in a huge variety of ways. People just accept the odd things that happen without realizing what the real problem is. I think this issue is more severe than matter duplication.

Cooling options definitely "feels" the most problematic, especially to less enfranchised players. Your options are Steam Turbine or Domesticated Wheezeworts. I understand that even without "exploits" like the Chill Pill or the Critter Cooler you can manufacture solutions like space-venting, heating consumed mass (Hydrogen / Petroleum -> Generators, Water -> Electrolyzer, Polluted Water -> Plants), but again, these are mostly tools useful only to experienced players

It would help if, for instance, domestic wheezewort fertilization was optional instead of mandatory (so you could move it where you wanted it, at least). Perhaps it could be planted in either flower pots (no fertilization) or farm planters (allows fertilization)?

I think a better solution is to clue the novice player in to the fact that heat is a resource, same as anything else -- similar to how Algae Terraria are 10% more effective in light, I think it might be nice to introduce a mechanic that incentivizes localized heat long before the steam turbine shows up. (And on that note, can we show the Thermo Regulator some love? Is there anything it can do that an Aquatuner can't do better, power permitting?)

37 minutes ago, Squeegee said:

mass conversion is pretty pressing, I completely forgot about it. Luckily it isn't a huge issue since you only really encounter it if you are actively looking for it.

Just curious... why exactly is this such a pressing issue again? You'd think there would be more important things to fix. Like the obscenely long load times when your colony is a few hundred cycles old. I don't see that on your list at all.

2 hours ago, Squeegee said:
2 hours ago, mathmanican said:

I'll put up a crazy build using matter conversion latter tonight. Someone forgot it exists. ;)

Not that I want to "break" the game, but I tend to create some matter conversion builds just using polluted water and a row of deodorizer.

After I stacked enough(/ or call it to many) bottles of polluted water my build gets some (strange) properties.

=> I can empty some arbitrary liquid into this room (without really flooding the deodorizers) and it will get deleted/converted.

=> All my CO2 which should accumulate gets deleted/converted.

[The deodorizers in combination with the bottles of polluted water create a vaccume every now and then, which allows matter conversion.]

But in my eyes the biggest and most boring concept right now is cooling. [Last time I wanted to challenge myself, I played without using AETN or wheezeworts, but right now I try to survive without a steam turbine.]

27 minutes ago, Red Shark said:

(And on that note, can we show the Thermo Regulator some love? Is there anything it can do that an Aquatuner can't do better, power permitting?)

Liquidize oxygen without the use of supercoolant. That's all I got though.

9 minutes ago, nakomaru said:
37 minutes ago, Red Shark said:

(And on that note, can we show the Thermo Regulator some love? Is there anything it can do that an Aquatuner can't do better, power permitting?)

Liquidize oxygen without the use of supercoolant. That's all I got though.

Not even that is still true ...

At least more power efficient than an aquatuner without supercoolant.

[If the packet mass is less than 10% of the capacity of the pipe no state change will occure.

=> We need no supercoolant to reach the lower limit of the auquatuner.]

PS: I know the aquatuner got a lower temperature limit at 3K, but I don´t know if the thermo regulator has a lower limit aswell.

=> A way to go below 3K could be the only point for the thermo regulator.

None of these really feel like extremely pressing issues to me.  None of them really ruin the game or would seriously break it if they made it into the final release.  If I were to pick something pressing, it would be stuff like asteroid balance (wrong order, missing gold on Arboria and The Badlands), the need for one or two more crop plants (especially on the forest start without bristle blossoms), and improving how the asteroid traits are implemented and generated (fixing PoI overlap and breaking abyssalite layers).  Things that can potentially break the game or leave you starved for options on stuff to do on some maps.

12 minutes ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

We need no supercoolant to reach the lower limit of the auquatuner

In that case, you are still spending 1200W instead of 240W to cool the same 1kg/s. Water has higher SHC than hydrogen, but the regulator is still doing it better here. Plus, if your loop stops for just one moment which seems to happen with aquatuners, you can get two packets stacking and blow up.

Although, I hear with salt water, because it freezes to 10% brine, you can go as low as you want and remain liquid in full pipes, but that will probably get fixed.

1 minute ago, nakomaru said:

In that case, you are still spending 1200W instead of 240W to cool the same 1kg/s. Water has higher SHC than hydrogen, the regulator is still doing it better here. Plus, if your loop stops for just one moment which seems to happen with aquatuners, you can get two packets stacking and blow up.

Wait:

14 minutes ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

At least more power efficient than an aquatuner without supercoolant.

=>Wasn´t our point to show where a thermo regulator would be superior to an auquatuner ?

Spoiler

My last post should just show that the differnce is not if you can make liquid hydrogen without supercoolant, but the power efficiency.

=> We both are saying the same nakomaru: Thermo regulators are superior when it comes to making liquid hydrogen (/oxygen) without the use of supercoolant.

But just based on the power consumption.

5 minutes ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

We both are saying the same

Sorry, I understand now. He asked for "better" so I implied that in my first post. As in, the regulator is better if you want to liquidize oxygen before you discover supercoolant.

52 minutes ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

[The deodorizers in combination with the bottles of polluted water create a vaccume every now and then, which allows matter conversion.)

Bingo.  If you ever see a vacuum tile in any game, then matter conversion is pretty likely to occur. 

Archived