Quick questions, simple answers

I tried to find a topic like this in pinned (thought I'd seen one before, but it would appear I have hallucinated it). Sorry if I'm actually blind. I just think some questions are too small for separate threads and would make me feel like a spammer :D

For instance this one:

Dupe needs 1000 callories per cycle. They seem to not eat more than once a day, right? What happens if a dupe eats muckroot for 800? Or a great meal for 4000? Do they spam "starving" till next meal? Do they go 4 days without another meal?

4 minutes ago, Ellilea said:

For instance this one:

Dupe needs 1000 callories per cycle. They seem to not eat more than once a day, right? What happens if a dupe eats muckroot for 800? Or a great meal for 4000? Do they spam "starving" till next meal? Do they go 4 days without another meal?

Dupe can and will eat until their internal Kcal storage is filled. Meals can be fractions. You often see in late game that you have some weird number of kcals of one food type. That's because the dupes eat only what they require, and throw the remains on the floor in the mess hall for some else (or themselves) to pick up and put back in storage.

If a dupe goes below a certain calorie amount (which can happen if they only ate a 800kcal muckroot a day) then you will get a "starving" notification for a second and the dupe will stop his current task and go eat no matter what time of the cycle it is.

3 hours ago, Saturnus said:

dupes eat only what they require, and throw the remains on the floor in the mess hall for some else (or themselves) to pick up and put back in storage.

I hate this behaviour so much!

Ohhhhh that's why my beautiful great hall is littered with meal lice all the time! I see, that makes a lot more sense... in an mushbar-penalty-week way :[

Thought they always chomp the full thing. Like if you make a 4kcal bun a dupe will devour it whole.

23 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

Main reason i always have my food storage on 7 or higher is to clean up the great hall each morning.

Just make a schedule where dupes sleep during the day and work during the night. That way there are always working dupes to clean the great hall. Night owls would be a great trait for dupes used for this purpose. It would also help with the toilet queue if dupes are scheduled to not all go at the same time.

2 hours ago, Nightinggale said:
3 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

Main reason i always have my food storage on 7 or higher is to clean up the great hall each morning.

Just make a schedule where dupes sleep during the day and work during the night. That way there are always working dupes to clean the great hall. Night owls would be a great trait for dupes used for this purpose. It would also help with the toilet queue if dupes are scheduled to not all go at the same time.

If you hate the "down time + sleep + bathroom" - break, which is just ~1min of duplicants doing nothing for your colony and hate to build 90% of the day unused bathrooms.

=> Give every duplicant his own schedule ;)[Just one block shifted]

Spoiler

The shifts will still overlap so your duplicants can give each other some nice stress relief buffs.

You can play a base with every duplicant using an atmosuit for everything with less suits than duplicants ;)

You need less redundant machineries to work effective and the machines you already have can be used more efficient over the full cycle.

=> I love it and I would recommand you to try a schedule like this^^

So... considering dupes need 1kcal per day, but a single meal lice is 600cal then I should give them more downtime so they can do 2 trips from the ration box to the mess hall? Im trying to figure out if given more time, they will grab another bite if they are still not capped at 4kcal. Let's say they are very near to starvation, so they would need several meal lice to top themselfs.

7 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

then you will get a "starving" notification for a second and the dupe will stop his current task and go eat no matter what time of the cycle it is.

Unless they need to pee first. I had a dupe die once because they had to pee before going to eat..... Priorities. 

Archived