Three new types of madness (with Pixel Art)

As already mentioned in another topic, I believe that DST should have more different types of madness.

Now I have thought better of the idea, and I would like to expose it more rigorously.
Premise: The effects of every "madness" are gradual, I have inserted only 4 percentages as a general example of the psychological deterioration.

image.png.7515bd3776e6519fc10bbc8918e8341d.png

Ravenous madness: During this type of "madness", the sanity indicator will be replaced with that of a brain with horrific jaws.
As sanity decreases, the character is increasingly in need of food, especially raw meat.
Under 90% of its sanity, the hunger rate will increase by 10%
Under 80% of his sanity, the hunger rate will increase by 20% and he will start hearing voices telling him to eat raw meat.
Under 50% of its sanity, the hunger rate will increase by 50%, and the voices will become more intense and macabre.
At 0% of his sanity, the hunger rate will increase by 100%, the other players will look juicy Gobblers, and if the hunger is not at least above 2/3 constantly, the player will start to inflict himself damage, in acts of "self-cannibalism ". (obviously the animation would not really be a macabre depiction of one biting himself).
While the player is dominated by this madness, all the foods that are not meat will only give back 1/2 of their value of hunger, while the foods of cooked meat (or prepared in pot) only 2/3. Dried meat counts as raw meat.

Debilitating madness: During this type of "madness", the sanity indicator will be replaced with that of a brain with an open and hallucinated eye.
As the sanity descends, the character will always be more fragile and vulnerable, prey to tremors and neurosis.
Under 90% of his sanity, the character's defense will drop by 5% (example: if he wears a wooden armor, the character's defense will be 80% - 5% = 75%. If the character does not wear armor, he will suffer the 5 % more damage per shot)
Under 80% of its sanity, the character's defense will drop by 10% and begin to hear voices that repeat that pain or death are just illusions.
Under 50% of its sanity, the character's defense will drop by 25% and the voices will become more intense and macabre. The character's view will begin to blur (similar to how Wagstaff sees without glasses)
At 0% of his sanity, the character's defense will drop by 50%, the other players will look dangerous Merms and the player's view will be very blurry (exactly as he sees Wagstaff without glasses).
While the player is dominated by this madness, all foods will only return 1/2 of their health value.

Prohibited knowledge: The most dangerous kind of madness. During this type of "madness", the sanity indicator will be replaced with that of a brain dominated by ancient Arab symbols linked to occult and mystery knowledge (Necronomicon)
Under 90% of his sanity, the character will inform the player to feel a headache. Every now and then, by chance, the character will begin to massage the meninges, while strange noises start to distort the soundtrack.
Under 80% of his sanity, the character will complain that he has a real headache. The character will begin to massage the meninges and the screen will begin to crowd with shadow watchers. The game melody is increasingly distorted.
Under 50% sanity, the character will scream that his head seems to burst. Walking becomes more and more difficult, migraine animations will be more and more frequent, shadow observers more and more claustrophobic, and the melody barely recognizable.
At 0% sanity, the character will die of a heart attack.

Together with the "traditional" madness (the one that leads to see the shadows) the game would be enriched with 4 different ways of impazare. The type of madness could depend on the place (as happens on the lunar island).
Personally, the madness "forbidden knowledge" I think should take over only when the character is close to the structures of the ancients (ancient statues, nightmare lights, etc.).

Obviously the idea should be further refined and enriched, but I think I have proposed something interesting.
I really hope that Klei takes advantage of Retunr Of Them to evolve the Sanity exponentially. I think it's the most interesting aspect of the game.
Soon I will post my idea on a "research tree" based on madness.

So...(takes deep breath) Lemme start by saying this is indeed a creative idea and you've obviously put a lot of work into it.

...but these ideas, if implemented (and thank goodness they never will be) will cut HUGE chunks out of the playerbase, send tons of more people into therapy, or BOTH!  I, myself, still think the horror hounds are _too freaking far_, not a wonderful gateway into something that should be explored _further_!   And I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE.   Also...you can't unsee things, no matter HOW much therapy you have.  To see what you're describing here, in Don't Starve's adorable, Tim-Burtony old fashioned cartoon style with characters we've known and loved for years...I...I don't even wanna think about that.  Let's just say I would never play again, for starters.  For STARTERS.

Aaaand...this isn't Darkest Dungeon.  Yes, both games are awesome, and yes, Klei did get thanked on the credits page for Darkest Dungeon, but I think they should firmly stay in their own lanes.  EATING YOURSELF when too hungry?  Good god!  The "other players look like food" thing sounds like old Looney Toons, but the rest of it is straight up high-octane nightmare fuel.  (Yes, there's something literally called that in the game--but it's a JOKE!  It's not meant to _actually_ cause nightmares to the player!) 

Anyway, we _already_ kind of "hurt ourselves" when insane in this game, as when you go nuts (whether on purpose or not), it causes your own inner demons to attack you.  (Or they're Ghastly Creatures from The Dungeon Dimensions that need a weakened mind in order to have an effect on our world, whatever.)  Biting, attacking, hitting yourself (or refusing healing) when crazy is way more of a "your Hellion just couldn't take it anymore" kind of thing, not a Don't Starve thing.  .Also...Darkest Dungeon is TURN-BASED, while DST isn't even pauseable.  So I also have legit gameplay concerns about this.  Would we attack ourselves AND get shadow creatures at the same time?  That seems a hair excessive.  

(And doesn't eating raw meat usually lower sanity, even for Wigfrid?  So the one thing you badly need to eat makes you WORSE, in "normal"-insanity ways?  I can't see any way THAT would turn out well.  EDIT:  AND you lose health when starving already.  In addition to being nightmarish, these ideas would shove the game into Adventure-Mode-On-Steroids difficulty.)

I'm not saying these ideas are ones you should throw out entirely...but I AM saying they are ideas that don't belong _here_.  Maybe you could make a mod?  Or get together with someone who knows the programming, and then do that.  There ARE elaborate mods out there that make entire new game modes, after all.  But...dude, little kids play this game.  Not in the main, canon, everybody-sees-it-by-default part, okay?

...Notorious

I love it! I love it, I love it, I love it! This is a great way to take us back to the origins of DS! 

I feel players self harming is 1 step over the wrong line, otherwise these all seem to be in the right direction.

I feel rather than bring up self harming, we can include more extensive Shadows and mechanics.

Like a shadow with the twisted shape of a stomach or mouth for Ravenous Madness, or a brain with eye for the other, and so forth! 

Personally, I feel like twisted versions of the characters would also be fitting, depending on their current "insanity".

Otherwise I feel like this is heading in the right direction, though due to how companies work, I doubt this will be added, but it would make for a killer mod one day.

Though I like alot of these, I do think some of these 'events' should be locked behind an 'activation'.

For instance, you wouldn't be able to reach these levels of insanity unless you'd done something. Triggered an event, of sorts. Perhaps you'd have to find a place to the likes of The Atrium. Perhaps in the ruins, or maybe in a moon cave, hidden away in a hard to reach area.

How to trigger these events? Well I have a few brainstormy ideas:

The first and simple one would be to drink a potion. A potion of pure, digestible Nightmare Fuel, hidden away behind lock without key, not to be reached by mere mortals.

The other, perhaps cooler, event would be the use (or perhaps, 'misuse') of an amulet. You'd either use a beyond corrupted Nightmare Amulet, or a Iridescent Amulet. You'd bring the Nightmare Amulet to this 'arena' and put it atop an altar, in which the shadows, or They, would completely destroy the Nightmare Amulet, murdering whatever light remained within. Upon wearing it, you'd start this event, and go instantly to Ravenous Madness. Your sanity would constantly deteriorate, and nothing could slow it down of speed it up. If whoever has had enough, or feels they won't beat this challenge, they can simply take the amulet off.

The third idea is to socket the Iridescent gem in a hole, like a key, on a Lunar Island version of the Atrium. Doing so would completely shatter your mind.

Also I agree with the other guy that seeing your pals as Gobblers or Merms sounds a little silly, in comparison to the other things you've listed. I'd instead have it so the other character would glow red, or have a red tint, to signify that they're made of delicious flesh and blood. And instead of Merms, the other character would be completely black, and their eyes hollow, so they look like mere shadows of their former selves.

And instead of simply dying of a heart attack, the characters should be rewarded by the end. Perhaps in the shape of new craftables, or a power up to your character, like more damage, defense and hp. But only when insane, as the shadows have powered you up.

Also, I'd remove self harm. Because that's just cruel.

I love everything about these new sanity afflictions.

They can be a great mechanic to completely change the usual playstyle of each character and encourage a more risky playstyle.

Here's what I would add:

Ravenous madness

Spoiler
8 hours ago, Pop Guy said:

Ravenous madness: During this type of "madness", the sanity indicator will be replaced with that of a brain with horrific jaws.
As sanity decreases, the character is increasingly in need of food, especially raw meat.
Under 80% of his sanity, the hunger rate will increase by 20% and he will start hearing voices telling him to eat raw meat.
Under 50% of its sanity, the hunger rate will increase by 50%, and the voices will become more intense and macabre. 
*At 10% and below sanity, the hunger rate will increase by 100%, if the hunger is not at least above 2/3 constantly, the player will sometimes inflict damage on himself, from the frustration of hunger due to their gluttonous madness.
While the player is dominated by this madness, all the foods that are not meat will only give back 1/2 of their value of hunger, while the foods of cooked meat (or prepared in pot) only 2/3. Dried meat counts as raw meat.

*Raw meat has no sanity penalty, meaty food gives back +3 sanity. Non-meaty food give back no sanity

*Amps Wigfrid's and Bat bat HP vampire effects by 1.5 (under 50% sanity only)

*Deals 1.25x dmg when sanity is under 50%

*Can be contracted by corrupted gluttonous mobs (H!hounds, H!spiders, [Were]pigs,etc) (30% chance when taking damage from them)

*Lasts 20 days, but can be shorten by eating food with hunger values bigger than 100

*Eating animation chances to be more faster and violent 

Debilitating madness

Spoiler
9 hours ago, Pop Guy said:

Debilitating madness: During this type of "madness", the sanity indicator will be replaced with that of a brain with an open and hallucinated eye.
As the sanity descends, the character will always be more fragile and vulnerable, prey to tremors and neurosis.
Under 90% of his sanity, the character's defense will drop by 5% (example: if he wears a wooden armor, the character's defense will be 80% - 5% = 75%. If the character does not wear armor, he will suffer the 5 % more damage per shot)
Under 80% of its sanity, the character's defense will drop by 10% and begin to hear voices that repeat that pain or death are just illusions.
*Under 50% of its sanity, the character's defense will drop by 15% and the voices will become more intense and macabre. The character's view will begin to blur (similar to how Wagstaff sees without glasses)
At 10% and below sanity, the character's defense will drop by 30%, and the player's view will be very blurry (exactly as he sees Wagstaff without glasses).
While the player is dominated by this madness, all foods will only return 1/2 of their health value.

*.75x dmg when under 50% sanity

*.5x hunger rate

*Attacks sometimes lower enemies' def and attack by .75x

*Sanity food and hats are .5x effective

*Higher aggro priority 

*Contracted by monsters (Deerclops, merms, tentacles, etc)

*lasts 15 days, but can be shorten by sleeping

Prohibited knowledge

Spoiler
10 hours ago, Pop Guy said:

Prohibited knowledge: The most dangerous kind of madness. During this type of "madness", the sanity indicator will be replaced with that of a brain dominated by ancient Arab symbols linked to occult and mystery knowledge (Necronomicon)
Under 90% of his sanity, the character will inform the player to feel a headache. Every now and then, by chance, the character will begin to massage the meninges, while strange noises start to distort the soundtrack.
Under 80% of his sanity, the character will complain that he has a real headache. The character will begin to massage the meninges and the screen will begin to crowd with shadow watchers. The game melody is increasingly distorted.
*Under 50% sanity, the character will scream that his head seems to burst. Walking becomes more and more difficult (speed has a .75x modifier), migraine animations will be more and more frequent, shadow observers more and more claustrophobic, and the melody barely recognizable..
*At 0% sanity, the character will have a heart attack - lowering Hp to 10%. If Hp is below 15% character, dies.

*Gains 0 sanity from food, Hat's only restore at 1/4 the rate

*Can be contracted by dark enemies and overuse of books (Shadow pieces, nightmare monsters) (10% chance when taking damage from them or using books)

*Lasts 3 days, can't be shorten. 

*Madness can be contracted ASAP or after a year wait (based on world gen settings)

13 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

[...]

...Notorious

I don't think they are such macabre ideas, if they are not represented realistically. In Darkest Dungeon there are horrible things, but the unrealistic and carton-like graphics I think make everything very light and not very "disturbing".
However, I notice that this game has a particularly sensitive community when it comes to inserting vaguely disturbing elements in the game. But I would like to remind you that things that are a little sick are already happening in the game. For example, Wortox that eats the souls of other creatures... now, personally if we mean as "souls" the psyche of a creature separated from the body... it is almost as if Wortox ate brains, to say :'D (obviously it depends what is meant by "soul", a concept that is not rigorous and changes according to the existential vision of the individual)
But I don't want to digress: I am only interested in new mechanics. If you do not like the idea of a character who suffers damage because he "bites himself" then just change the reason for damage to health: the cramps caused by pathological hunger become so excruciating that the character occasionally suffers damage. Nobody hurts themselves, simple stomach cramps.
If it is enough just to change this aspect to save the mechanics, so be it, I do it willingly :'D
However, unfortunately, I know almost nothing about programming. I don't even think I have the right tools to create a mod. I would love to, but for now I will just do small pixel art and share my ideas.
In the future who knows... :D

-

12 hours ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

*laughs in maxwell main*

*When even the last star of the Constans' sky will be extinguished and the world will sink for eons into a sleep similar to death ... "

"He will still be laughing at the end"

-

12 hours ago, -Variant said:

[...]

Thank you so much for the compliments!

I have already answered to another user that it is not necessary to keep the most disturbing aspects, if the community does not want to. In the "ravenous madness" one can simply make a player suffer damage from stomach cramps. The important thing is the mechanics, the rest is just a mask that we can shape at will ;)

However, I really like the idea of a shadow similar to a brain with one eye. It may be different from the classic shadows: it does not deal damage, but the closer it is to the player, the more its defense diminishes.
Similarly, a brain-like shadow with a mouth could progressively increase a player's hunger rate.
They would be very coriaceous shadows (10,000 health points?) And the player should have a hard time getting rid of them once they have "gone mad".

@Terra_Zina He had proposed something like a personal shadow-boss for every character, a very interesting idea. Further on it could be explored.

-

12 hours ago, Bee2017 said:

:o

:afro:

-

9 hours ago, Terra_Zina said:

Though I like alot of these, I do think some of these 'events' should be locked behind an 'activation'.

Yes, maybe the activation of some ancient device could give rise to madness conditions, it is not a bad idea.

For instance, you wouldn't be able to reach these levels of insanity unless you'd done something. Triggered an event, of sorts. Perhaps you'd have to find a place to the likes of The Atrium. Perhaps in the ruins, or maybe in a moon cave, hidden away in a hard to reach area.

The Atrium seems perfect. It is such an evocative environment, it should really have more features, besides fighting the Ancient.

How to trigger these events? Well I have a few brainstormy ideas:

The first and simple one would be to drink a potion. A potion of pure, digestible Nightmare Fuel, hidden away behind lock without key, not to be reached by mere mortals.

The idea of ancient drugs to stimulate the senses in other spaces and dimensions is a classic. I approve.

The other, perhaps cooler, event would be the use (or perhaps, 'misuse') of an amulet. You'd either use a beyond corrupted Nightmare Amulet, or a Iridescent Amulet. You'd bring the Nightmare Amulet to this 'arena' and put it atop an altar, in which the shadows, or They, would completely destroy the Nightmare Amulet, murdering whatever light remained within. Upon wearing it, you'd start this event, and go instantly to Ravenous Madness. Your sanity would constantly deteriorate, and nothing could slow it down of speed it up. If whoever has had enough, or feels they won't beat this challenge, they can simply take the amulet off.

I think the same challenge could be made with the "nightmare drug". Whit atmosphere it intrigues me more than an amulet. The challenge would still be optional, the player deciding whether to drink and sink into mental oblivion!

The third idea is to socket the Iridescent gem in a hole, like a key, on a Lunar Island version of the Atrium. Doing so would completely shatter your mind.

Also. I proposed some time ago the idea of a lunar device to cause strange events.
However the iridescent gem should really have its own dignity.

Also I agree with the other guy that seeing your pals as Gobblers or Merms sounds a little silly, in comparison to the other things you've listed. I'd instead have it so the other character would glow red, or have a red tint, to signify that they're made of delicious flesh and blood. And instead of Merms, the other character would be completely black, and their eyes hollow, so they look like mere shadows of their former selves.

I enjoyed it, he had something grotesque to see other players like fish or turkeys :'D

And instead of simply dying of a heart attack, the characters should be rewarded by the end. Perhaps in the shape of new craftables, or a power up to your character, like more damage, defense and hp. But only when insane, as the shadows have powered you up.

Eh, here is an almost "philosophical" question: is there glory for those who dare to face the abyss, or just defeat and tragedy? According to the Lovecraftian tradition, the destiny of those who try to see a crumb of cosmic truth is inevitably tragic. :afro:

-

9 hours ago, Superlucas1231 said:

I love everything about these new sanity afflictions.

They can be a great mechanic to completely change the usual playstyle of each character and encourage a more risky playstyle.

Thank you for the nice words! :lol:

(I highlighted the things I like and highlighted in red the ones I think are perfect with what I thought!)

*At 10% and below sanity, the hunger rate will increase by 100%, if the hunger is not at least above 2/3 constantly, the player will sometimes inflict damage on himself, from the frustration of hunger due to their gluttonous madness.

*Raw meat has no sanity penalty, meaty food gives back +3 sanity. Non-meaty food give back no sanity

*Amps Wigfrid's and Bat bat HP vampire effects by 1.5 (under 50% sanity only)

*Deals 1.25x dmg when sanity is under 50%

*Can be contracted by corrupted gluttonous mobs (H!hounds, H!spiders, [Were]pigs,etc) (30% chance when taking damage from them)

*Lasts 20 days, but can be shorten by eating food with hunger values bigger than 100

*Eating animation chances to be more faster and violent 

*Under 50% of its sanity, the character's defense will drop by 15% and the voices will become more intense and macabre. The character's view will begin to blur (similar to how Wagstaff sees without glasses)
At 10% and below sanity, the character's defense will drop by 30%, and the player's view will be very blurry (exactly as he sees Wagstaff without glasses).

*.75x dmg when under 50% sanity

*.5x hunger rate

*Attacks sometimes lower enemies' def and attack by .75x

*Sanity food and hats are .5x effective

*Higher aggro priority 

*Contracted by monsters (Deerclops, merms, tentacles, etc)

*lasts 15 days, but can be shorten by sleeping

*Under 50% sanity, the character will scream that his head seems to burst. Walking becomes more and more difficult (speed has a .75x modifier), migraine animations will be more and more frequent, shadow observers more and more claustrophobic, and the melody barely recognizable.
*At 0% sanity, the character will have a heart attack - lowering Hp to 10%. If Hp is below 15% character, dies.

*Gains 0 sanity from food, Hat's only restore at 1/4 the rate

*Can be contracted by dark enemies and overuse of books (Shadow pieces, nightmare monsters) (10% chance when taking damage from them or using books)

*Lasts 3 days, can't be shorten. 

some changes that you proposed I like so much. Other things I have to think about. Above all the way to contract the Debilitating madness: there should be some more particular way. ;)

On 07.07.2019 at 3:27 PM, Pop Guy said:

As already mentioned in another topic, I believe that DST should have more different types of madness.

Now I have thought better of the idea, and I would like to expose it more rigorously.
Premise: The effects of every "madness" are gradual, I have inserted only 4 percentages as a general example of the psychological deterioration.

image.png.7515bd3776e6519fc10bbc8918e8341d.png

At 0% of his sanity, the hunger rate will increase by 100%, the other players will look juicy Gobblers, and if the hunger is not at least above 2/3 constantly, the player will start to inflict himself damage, in acts of "self-cannibalism ". (obviously the animation would not really be a macabre depiction of one biting himself).

Under 50% of its sanity, the character's defense will drop by 25% and the voices will become more intense and macabre. The character's view will begin to blur (similar to how Wagstaff sees without glasses)
At 0% of his sanity, the character's defense will drop by 50%, the other players will look dangerous Merms and the player's view will be very blurry (exactly as he sees Wagstaff without glasses).

Under 50% sanity, the character will scream that his head seems to burst. Walking becomes more and more difficult, migraine animations will be more and more frequent, shadow observers more and more claustrophobic, and the melody barely recognizable.
At 0% sanity, the character will die of a heart attack.

Together with the "traditional" madness (the one that leads to see the shadows) the game would be enriched with 4 different ways of impazare. The type of madness could depend on the place (as happens on the lunar island).
Personally, the madness "forbidden knowledge" I think should take over only when the character is close to the structures of the ancients (ancient statues, nightmare lights, etc.).

Obviously the idea should be further refined and enriched, but I think I have proposed something interesting.
I really hope that Klei takes advantage of Retunr Of Them to evolve the Sanity exponentially. I think it's the most interesting aspect of the game.
Soon I will post my idea on a "research tree" based on madness.

After the spider ointment stops treating at the same time cuts, poisonings, sunstrokes, fractures and exhaustion from malnutrition, then it will be possible to add such things to the game.

Archived