How good is Wheeler?

SpoonyBardIV

I know it's hard to believe, but I still haven't gotten around to starting a Wheeler run yet. But after my latest death in my Wigfrid game (stupid meteors...) I was thinking of trying her out. How good is she as opposed to some other characters? What tips do you have for paying as Wheeler? What kinds of things are best put in the Navigadget? Any help would be great!

A tier

Infinite projectiles mean you can farm small meat by a twig and kill light enemies from safe range, use it to get hunger in early game by killing birds, and to kill fast creature (masked pig- elder mandrake-bunnymen)

use grass for tier 1 (30 dmg) Twig for tier 2 (45 dmg) and nightmare fuel for tier 3 (65 dmg) because these the most easiest and renewable sources

You can find all lost relic and buy a house in day 3, Doydoy to track the another doydoy.

Dodge so you don't have to kite and kill bosses faster (your armor still take dmg tho), use it dodge increase your movement speed and reach your point faster. 

Inventory downside is annoying but manageable, golden tool isn't recommended, use normal tool so you can throw it for another important items.

So what you're saying is:

She is a balanced character with strong upsides, but also some decent downsides to consider. She is powerful, but not "WX in Hurricane Season" level of powerful.

Also, I have one more question. Can she locate Ancient Statues with particular Gems in them? For example, if I put an Orange Gem into the Navigadget, would it point to a Statue containing another one?

1 hour ago, SpoonyBardIV said:

So what you're saying is:

She is a balanced character with strong upsides, but also some decent downsides to consider. She is powerful, but not "WX in Hurricane Season" level of powerful.

That is definitely not what he said. She may be fun, but balanced she ain't. She has a single, solitary downside, and it's really a nuisance at best. I'd argue WX is better balanced than she is, and that's saying something.

1 hour ago, SpoonyBardIV said:

Also, I have one more question. Can she locate Ancient Statues with particular Gems in them? For example, if I put an Orange Gem into the Navigadget, would it point to a Statue containing another one?

I haven't tried this so I obviously can't say for certain, but that would have required special code to implement and I highly doubt it was.

10 minutes ago, SpoonyBardIV said:

TWO downsides, my good sir. Her other downside is that she has 50 less HP than other characters.

Less health isn’t really a viable downside for her though. She moves fast, always has range and doesn’t have to get close, and has invuln frames, and armor exists.  She could have less than Maxwell and she’s still be broken. 

17 minutes ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

Less health isn’t really a viable downside for her though. She moves fast, always has range and doesn’t have to get close, and has invuln frames, and armor exists.  She could have less than Maxwell and she’s still be broken. 

Okay, I'll admit she's powerful, but to say that she is downright BROKEN is not quite accurate. Have you seen WX in Shipwrecked? He is essentially playing with god mode, because he moves insanely fast, has infinite light, and is constantly getting his health restored by lightning. Wheeler may be powerful, but not to THAT extent.

28 minutes ago, SpoonyBardIV said:

Okay, I'll admit she's powerful, but to say that she is downright BROKEN is not quite accurate. Have you seen WX in Shipwrecked? He is essentially playing with god mode, because he moves insanely fast, has infinite light, and is constantly getting his health restored by lightning.

I'm not going to call WX balanced by any stretch of the imagination, but I think you're overplaying how great that scenario is a little. Every time you're struck you're significantly stunned (apparently it's been too long since I played WX last, ignore this), it's damned-near impossible to stay sane without serious preparation so you'll constantly have nightmare creatures pestering you, and lightning will never ever fail to hit you unless you're near a lightning rod so you're at constant risk of setting everything around you on fire. Add to this that the health restoration isn't really reliable enough to be a valid strategy for sustained combat and as such will often end up wasted or mostly just a convenience, and the value of this perk is really dropping. And this only happens for bursts a day and a half or so long during less than a quarter of the year.

Wheeler's got three less inventory slots and a smaller effective health pool, the latter of which isn't very meaningful for anybody who's been playing the game longer than a week since her ability to heal or armor herself isn't hindered in any way. And all the things that are awesome about her are awesome all year round with scarce little extra effort required to take advantage of them.

1 minute ago, Faintly Macabre said:

I'm not going to call WX balanced by any stretch of the imagination, but I think you're overplaying how great that scenario is a little. Every time you're struck you're significantly stunned, it's damned-near impossible to stay sane without serious preparation so you'll constantly have nightmare creatures pestering you, and lightning will never ever fail to hit you unless you're near a lightning rod so you're at constant risk of setting everything around you on fire. Add to this that the health restoration isn't really reliable enough to be a valid strategy for sustained combat and as such will often end up wasted or mostly just a convenience, and the value of this perk is really dropping. And this only happens for bursts a day and a half or so long during less than a quarter of the year.

Wheeler's got three less inventory slots and a smaller effective health pool, the latter of which isn't very meaningful for anybody who's been playing the game longer than a week since her ability to heal or armor herself isn't hindered in any way. And all the things that are awesome about her are awesome all year round with scarce little extra effort required to take advantage of them.

Okay then. The only question I have remaining is, is she worth playing? I don't want to play as her if she will make it too easy... Deas she really make THAT much of a difference in the difficulty?

5 minutes ago, SpoonyBardIV said:

Okay then. The only question I have remaining is, is she worth playing? I don't want to play as her if she will make it too easy... Deas she really make THAT much of a difference in the difficulty?

I mean, I can't really tell you whether she'd be enjoyable for you to play. I didn't like playing her because to me she's pretty much all ups and no real downs, and I don't enjoy characters like that very much. I think her gadgets significantly further trivialize obtaining certain resources by eliminating the need to prepare tools for things like hunting birds or killing pesky kiting mobs as well as significantly reducing the time and exploration required to locate a lot of vital things in the world.

Try her out, she is super fun and different from the rest of the cast (imo). She is A BEAST if you use her properly.

Sure, pewmatic is really really strong, but i am glad Klei actually dared to introduce a ranged weapon that is viable through the entirety of the game (early to end) without the need of amassing huge amount of resources for lacking, not cost-efficient, vanilla ranged weapons. 

If you learn to use her dodges properly, you will be negating damage BECAUSE you are doing it right, not for free. For me she is like "alright, you have played DS all this time, now use these crazy good tools and have fun". 

For short: Pew pew McShooty Face "Imma break ur ankles, fam" mixed with your mom when she finds stuff in your room in places you already looked.

FUN.

On 27.06.2019 at 12:48 AM, Faintly Macabre said:

I'd argue WX is better balanced than she is, and that's saying something.

On 27.06.2019 at 7:53 PM, JosePapp said:

She's pretty much bellow wolfgang in terms of "OP PLS ULTRA NERF" (rip warly) but i think she's in a sweet spot where she offers a pretty unique gameplay style. Definitely try her out man!

I know that's not the main topic here but this annoys me a lot. Wolfgang isn't ultra OP. You get slight speed bonus and damage up in cost of hunger. DS doesn't have as tanky enemies as DST (twice as much health) so it's not that great of a perk imo. 

And WX is more unbalanced than Wheeler for sure. WX is just very easy. It's the easiest to get unlimited charge in Hamlet due to thunderbirds. WX's only weakness is the fact that you cannot prevent wetness damage during fog, as far as I know. WX means infinite darkness protection, big speed boost all the time and high stats. And his jokes are better than Wilson's.

7 hours ago, Maslak said:

And WX is more unbalanced than Wheeler for sure. WX is just very easy. It's the easiest to get unlimited charge in Hamlet due to thunderbirds. WX's only weakness is the fact that you cannot prevent wetness damage during fog, as far as I know. WX means infinite darkness protection, big speed boost all the time and high stats.

The thunderbird thing is pretty stupid I admit and I guess it had slipped my mind when I said that, but I might argue that it's thunderbirds that are the problem in that case. If you don't play Hamlet/try not to abuse bad ideas, system overload and his stat boosts both require some work, planning, or at least time to actually take advantage of; everything that's great about Wheeler gets dropped right in your lap.

She is pretty fun, and maybe a little OP but she does have her downsides. She can track items like gold, or relics using her navigadget and using her pew-matic horn you can hunt birds, using things like manure and seeds. The dodging really helps while moving in the fog, but watch out, she only has 100 max health so wear your football helmet. She also has reduced inventory, but she is faster. If you want to see how good she is you don't exactly need to do a full run either, maybe only day 20-30. But IMO the benefits outweigh the cons, so she is rather easy to me.

Watch her health, 2nd lowest after Maxwell mean you get two shot a lot, wear armor before entering new ruin entrance, to prevent yourself from getting killed by bats, traps (especially arrow traps) and scorpion. Grab loots, and put them in your backpack outside.

Also her dodge is pretty funny.

you can dodge these ridiculous things.

1. lightning
  2. gnat swarm bites
  3. hay fever sneeze (prevent sanity loss)
  4. gas rainforest (only a little)

Archived