Smelting abyssalite

I know, I can use sandbox mode and test it myself. But possibly someone already try it and know pitfalls on this way. And just tell me why this doesn't work.

Is it possible to use molten glass as a coolant in forge?

Is it possible to melt steel by heating glass this way?

Is it possible to use molten steel as coolant?

Is it possible to melt abyssalite by heating steel in forge?

You can do all above except melting abyssalite.

You can heat up a small chunk of it by a 1C per cycle. And at some point, when delta temperatures will become smaller and smaller, probably you won't be able to heat it any further, because game heat transfer simulation will just skip calculations, when temperature changes will be too small.

15 minutes ago, Angpaur said:

You can do all above except melting abyssalite.

You can heat up a small chunk of it by a 1C per cycle. And at some point, when delta temperatures will become smaller and smaller, probably you won't be able to heat it any further, because game heat transfer simulation will just skip calculations, when temperature changes will be too small.

Thank you for information.

What about some ×25 magic, sending abyssalite through heated diamond window tiles?

You mean x25 modifier for gases with solid interactions? How does it apply for windows tiles?

I tried heating up abyssalite using very hot gas - I could heat it up by 1C per cycle so it will take more than 3000 cycles to reach melting point. And with lowering delta temperature of hot gas and abyssalite you are also slowing down heat transfer. I guess at some point it will stop completely, not allowing to reach melting point of abyssalite.

5 minutes ago, Angpaur said:

You mean x25 modifier for gases with solid interactions? How does it apply for windows tiles?

I tried heating up abyssalite using very hot gas - I could heat it up by 1C per cycle so it will take more than 3000 cycles to reach melting point. And with lowering delta temperature of hot gas and abyssalite you are also slowing down heat transfer. I guess at some point it will stop completely, not allowing to reach melting point of abyssalite.

I mean modifier for conveyer in solid tiles.

But I already understand this doesn't work - we have nothing to make conveyer from. Only Diamond and Insulation survives 3500°C needed to melt Abyssalite, and we cannot make rails out of them

Conveyor in solid tiles uses equation: Debris in a Tile: q = klow * dT * 200, same as tile to tile.

I don't know anything about any additional modifiers for debris. I know there x25 modifier for gases with solids.

How do you know there is another x25 modifier?

1 minute ago, Angpaur said:

Conveyor in solid tiles uses equation: Debris in a Tile: q = klow * dT * 200, same as tile to tile.

I don't know anything about any additional modifiers for debris. I know there x25 modifier for gases with solids.

How do you know there is another x25 modifier?

It was my mistake. ×200, not ×25. Sorry for confusion.

So, only way to melt Abyssalite for now is make Isolation out of it, and melt not isolated isolation pipes after that. Sad. I had hope for simpler solution

You can melt abbysalite into tunsten if you convert abbysalite into insulation by putting some more resources.

The reasons are : 

1.  we can make buildings with insulation.

2. Buildings exchange heat with liquids in extraordinary speed if buildings are soaked in the liquid tile.

So if you build insulation-based building and let it soaked with very hot liquid over 3500 'C (I'm not sure it works in same way within gas). In this case, liquid Niobium is perfect material in sense of melting point (but sadly it has very low heat capacity)

btw, this haven't been tested after SU update. So things may be different in current version.

You can melt abbysalite into tunsten if you convert abbysalite into insulation by putting some more resources.

The goal was to smelt abyssalite for disposing it in the raw form. If you convert it to insulation, you can crush it into sand and then smelt it. Before CU you could crush abyssalite into sand whit the rock granulator. Now this is not possible any more. If this situation stay the same in the alpha version the only gameplay is to fill the void area whit rockets for bringing back isoresin, and capture all the co2 (including exhaust from the rockets, generated by dupes or in solid form) converting it into polluted water, feed large portion of the map of thimble reed, and all the fiber whit abyssalite converted to insulation. It's a bad way to play this game, but this is the only solution. 

18 hours ago, tzionut said:

The goal was to smelt abyssalite for disposing it in the raw form. If you convert it to insulation, you can crush it into sand and then smelt it. Before CU you could crush abyssalite into sand whit the rock granulator. Now this is not possible any more. If this situation stay the same in the alpha version the only gameplay is to fill the void area whit rockets for bringing back isoresin, and capture all the co2 (including exhaust from the rockets, generated by dupes or in solid form) converting it into polluted water, feed large portion of the map of thimble reed, and all the fiber whit abyssalite converted to insulation. It's a bad way to play this game, but this is the only solution. 

Actually, the goal was to produce some tungsten from insulation. I thought tungsten is quite rare material, which worth to dare treating temperature over 3500 'C. 

btw, fiber is quite cheap material with bunch of dreckos.

On 6/11/2019 at 10:08 AM, Prince Mandor said:

Is it possible to melt abyssalite by heating steel in forge?

it is possible, u need to use the "flaking" effect. Gas heated above melting point of Aby. and in sufficient quantity directly touching Aby tile. For example, it takes 60+kg/cell of rock gas, ~200kg/cell of iron gas ... 

PS: you don't want to heat the gas directly using the steel, but rather through diamond window and have the gas in at least 2 tiles

Capture.PNG.f2f40bd11fddcbfc406bcfccc7c397ad.PNG

Archived