Jump to content

Critter sensor needs Above\Below rather than exact number check


Recommended Posts

Its functionality is severely reduced due to operating with exact number, while general approach to ranches deals with "less than" and "more than" checks.

now there are ways to have 4 sensors with 8 and 7 and 8 and 9 checks to determine is ranch is under manned or overcrowded but why do this when adding Above\Below check could solve ALL problems and remove the need for excessive automation? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The mechanics of this game are a bit confusing and counter intuitive at times. But I don't think the critter sensor works the way you think it works. It is a greater than/less than sensor. Below videos explains it, I time stamped it to the relevant spot. Oh and just to add to the below a critter sensor also counts eggs as a critter, you need to bear that in mind when designing your automation.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Daxterr said:

You just set it to 8 in a max size ranch. (for hatches)

I find it more useful to set it to 7 as it's an "above" sensor. Then again, I use it to turn things like my Pez dispenser and incubators off instead of turning on conveyor loaders for the extra eggs. 

7 will activate when the ranch is full. 

8 will activate when the ranch is overcrowded. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, the critter sensor is misleading. When you set it to 6 for example it will stay off with 6 critters/eggs since it is an above sensor. Setting 8 in a max space ranch will just overcrowd it. It is pretty obvious from the description and setting slider that it works as an above sensor, and with one little not gate it works as an equal or below sensor.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Technoincubus said:

This is very misleading but still why not simply add above\below options bceause we already havethem in gas and liquid sensors? It will remove all problems, both with functionality and misleading tips

Wish I knew. The inconsistencies are annoying for sure. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The critter sensor is just ****.  It's use is vague and not obvious, i've been using them without knowing exactly what they do for a while now, wondering exactly how they trigger and getting pissed off with it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Does anyone else feel like eggs should not count a critters? This seems to be the main source my my problems with both this sensor and the room becoming over crowded. Doesn’t make sense to me that eggs should cause this, it’s not like the critters are fighting the eggs for additional resources. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Cypher-7 said:

Does anyone else feel like eggs should not count a critters? This seems to be the main source my my problems with both this sensor and the room becoming over crowded. Doesn’t make sense to me that eggs should cause this, it’s not like the critters are fighting the eggs for additional resources. 

Actually it does make sense since eggs count to critter debuffs. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, nets said:

Actually it does make sense since eggs count to critter debuffs. 

I understand that. That’s the part I’m saying doesn’t make sense. That’s the part I would like changed. I feel like it should not matter how many eggs are in a room as long as the number of hatched critters are below the crowded threshold. But that’s just my opinion. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Cypher-7 said:

I understand that. That’s the part I’m saying doesn’t make sense. That’s the part I would like changed. I feel like it should not matter how many eggs are in a room as long as the number of hatched critters are below the crowded threshold. But that’s just my opinion. 

So your problem is with critter overcrowded calculation and not the sensor itself...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, beowulf2010 said:

So your problem is with critter overcrowded calculation and not the sensor itself...

I agree it should be consistent with the other sensors and have an above/below option, but I guess yes the main thing is the calculation which would be unrelated to the topic. In my head I always associate the two together but you make a good point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Cypher-7 said:

I agree it should be consistent with the other sensors and have an above/below option, but I guess yes the main thing is the calculation which would be unrelated to the topic. In my head I always associate the two together but you make a good point.

In this case the consistency I was referring to is whether or not eggs are to be counted. 

If 6 hatches and 3 eggs overcrowd a room, the sensor has to count the eggs too so we can automate it. If they change overcrowding calculation to ignore eggs, they will need to update the sensor as well. 

The lack of being able to switch to "under" doesn't bother me too much (NOT gates are cheap enough) but in an ideal world I agree that it should be consistent with the rest of the sensors. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

×
×
  • Create New...