How to control snap teeth on 5th island?

Majestix

Since one visits the 5th island rarely, it becomes infested with snap teeth. During the first visit, if I get there just shortly before the aporkalypse, I have found it to already be very dangerous to navigate. Do you guys have efficient ideas how to keep that island relatively danger-free or to clear it quickly?

I was thinking of planting lots of guard homes there, but I fear that the snap teeth will make short work of the guards, and the effect will be the opposite: I will just have lots of fully grown snap teeth. I also tried to just quickly burn them (given how devastating fire is to wormwood), but they don't burn all that well. It still takes a lot of time to clear the areas around the ruin entrances, and is a dangerous activity. I guess once I jump to RoG, I can bring lots of bunnymen huts or spiders or old bells with me, but is there a decent Hamlet-only solution? Maybe plant lots of guards at a safe distance from the snap teeth, and sometimes come in the evenings with a 1 man band, and set the woods on fire?

Just put a single piece of meat on the ground behind a wall. 

They should go for meat and completely ignore all your attacks

Your gonna need a lot of weapons to kill them all but in the end all that matters are the results

Or you can just gather them all in one place and telelocate the ancient hulk there

If you set up guard posts you'd better make sure there's nothing you don't want burned down around.

Personally I would just exterminate. Maybe leave a flytrap or two in a corner somewhere on the island. I don't really think these things need to be all over the map.

1 hour ago, Majestix said:

Since one visits the 5th island rarely, it becomes infested with snap teeth. During the first visit, if I get there just shortly before the aporkalypse, I have found it to already be very dangerous to navigate. Do you guys have efficient ideas how to keep that island relatively danger-free or to clear it quickly?

I was thinking of planting lots of guard homes there, but I fear that the snap teeth will make short work of the guards, and the effect will be the opposite: I will just have lots of fully grown snap teeth. I also tried to just quickly burn them (given how devastating fire is to wormwood), but they don't burn all that well. It still takes a lot of time to clear the areas around the ruin entrances, and is a dangerous activity. I guess once I jump to RoG, I can bring lots of bunnymen huts or spiders or old bells with me, but is there a decent Hamlet-only solution? Maybe plant lots of guards at a safe distance from the snap teeth, and sometimes come in the evenings with a 1 man band, and set the woods on fire?

Who are you playing in this world? But until i learn that ill go with some Non-Character specific strats.

1 hour ago, Hx380 said:

Just put a single piece of meat on the ground behind a wall. 

They should go for meat and completely ignore all your attacks

Your gonna need a lot of weapons to kill them all but in the end all that matters are the results

This would work, and if you made a ham bat you wont need a lot of weapons (also if you're going this route i'd suggest a birdcage so you can turn the leafy meat into eggs) 

1 hour ago, Hx380 said:

Or you can just gather them all in one place and telelocate the ancient hulk there

This is pretty good, and if you are already commited to this, i also recommend Teleporting him to the BFB island either before of after, why? because when you kill the Hulk on the BFB island his parts don't scatter the constant, they scatter the BFB island so you dont have to run around looking for them and it can help efficiently farm. Note: This may be a bug and may be patched out if it is but last i checked with the most recent patch it works, maybe its not a bug though.

If you're ok with wasting resources (as in, if this island is that much of an issue and you're late game) it may be worth it to use the Iron Man suit (The blueprint the Hulk drops) and just have fun with it, or even use a BFB whistle as some sort of poor mans Bell. 

There are many character specific things i could recommend so if you tell me who your playing i can try and figure something else out, i hope this helped :)

32 minutes ago, Bobert216 said:

or even use a BFB whistle as some sort of poor mans Bell.

That won't work, because the BFB does not land in the jungle, where most of the snap teeth reside.

I am playing as WX, but I don't think the problem is WX specific (of course if I were Wormwood, then I would not have this issue at all).

32 minutes ago, Bobert216 said:

i also recommend Teleporting him to the BFB island either before of after, why? because when you kill the Hulk on the BFB island his parts don't scatter the constant, they scatter the BFB island so you dont have to run around looking for them and it can help efficiently farm.

Not sure what you mean by "before or after". You should kill him on the BFB island for his parts to scatter there, so you should only teleport him there after he has done everything for you that you wanted him to do.

Anyway, this is off-topic, since I really only wanted suggestions for the snap teeth, not for how to farm the hulk. I like the idea of getting him to do the dirty work on the 5th island for you!

I also like the idea of using the Iron Man suit for that!

Just now, Majestix said:

I am playing as WX, but I don't think the problem is WX specific (of course if I were Wormwood, then I would not have this issue at all).

I didnt mean it to be character specific i just meat a problem using you characters ability's.... hmm WX is a tricky one, since he doesn't have his own items/unique utility (obviously hes unique but you know what i mean) i honestly say your best bet is to get a iron hulk down there or super charge with a stalking cane for super speed and run through, or use the super speed and stalking cane to make the Tin armor/ Hat movement penalty not apply and then go on a log rampage with a ham bat (because it has no durability and if your in tin armor you can be ok with a weapon that isn't a dark sword or more damage) you could also maybe build pig houses while doing this so during the night they light the forest on fire, the plants should attack bat waves too, and you could always use Ro-Bin as a meat Shield, te suit if you want to go absolutely crazy, thats all i can think of really, good luck out there in the wild!

10 minutes ago, Majestix said:

Not sure what you mean by "before or after". You should kill him on the BFB island for his parts to scatter there, so you should only teleport him there after he has done everything for you that you wanted him to do.

I just meant before or after you use him to clear the 5th island, since if you don't o it before and you've already fought him once, it could be bothersome to get him again, so if you did it before you could have him in a cage able to use him for anything any time since you know exactly where he is.

17 minutes ago, S19TealPenguin said:

Use four blowdarts to take down the stationary ones. Blowdarts are easy to come by from the ruins. The stationary ones are the ones that spawn new ones. Also, the mobile snaptooths sleep during the day, making it easier to do one-on-one fights.

That seems to me to be slower than killing the stationary ones by hand. One has to collect almost 2 reeds and 2 iron per snap tooth, plus the time taken to disarm the traps. And needless to say, taking them all out by hand is what I have been doing up until now.

It's a chore kind of like chopping wood. You make a ham bat and just settle in to killing the little ones systematically, clearing a nice wide path. Cooked leafy meat gives a decent amount of health, so I do this when I want to clear the two Herald island ruins systems. They give me enough meat and those nectar thingies to use the food as heals. I like to wipe out all the enemies in a ruin, gather the resources from the pot and whatever and pile them by the front door for pick up later, and this usually entails some damage. When you're done with that, kill a the majority of the rooted snaptooths and bring the stalks home for all stalking sticks and Bug B Gone you'll ever need. You just kind of have to take an entire temperate/lush season to do this. Or even humid, since the snappies will kill a lot of the beetles for you.

Archived