Toggle/Opt out for certain mob visuals

So, about the horror hounds and mutated pengulls...

I'll be real, this is a level of body horror/gore that hasn't been seen in Don't Starve yet, even with plot connotations and other sorts of disturbing visuals, nothing's been this visceral and real.

I'm not one of them, but I know many, many people who are so upset, disgusted, appalled by the designs, and so on, that I really think there should be an option, either in the game settings or in worldgen, to either 1) remove those mobs entirely from the game (replaced with normal hounds/pengulls/some other sort of replacement) or 2) use a reskin, maybe closer to the source mob, like a slightly recolored hound or pengull that isn't so... gorey.

Just so that people who are okay with them can play with them still in the game, and people who are really disturbed can choose to disable those specific appearances?

Anyway, that's my take on it, really hoping this gets seen or at least someone mods it soon enough.

1 minute ago, JimmyJam said:

Trying not to be rude but its really not that bad...

I mean, again, I'm cool with it, but I've got friends who straight-up are unable to play the beta for worry of encountering those, y'know? Your experiences aren't universal.

1 minute ago, helioboros said:

I mean, again, I'm cool with it, but I've got friends who straight-up are unable to play the beta for worry of encountering those, y'know? Your experiences aren't universal.

Well if this was added it would turn off most of the update. The update is based off Lovecraft. The father of insane mind bending monsters. I could understand if there was blood or body horror. Hope im not coming off as rude. just adding my two cents :)

3 minutes ago, JimmyJam said:

Trying not to be rude but its really not that bad...

From your perspective, maybe, but different people have different things that bother them. I think the designs are really cool, but I also know people who are REALLY uncomfortable with body horror, even cartoony body horror. It would be nice if people could have an option to toggle off the lunar island visuals. I wouldn't expect the art team to do full redesigns considering how much work they clearly put into these lunar monstrosities, but maybe the toggled-off versions could be a recolor, maybe silver or gray? I think the issue here is that aome long-time players are being jarred by content that is uncomfortable to them, making it very hard to enjoy a game that they're enjoyed for a long time and become part of a community for.

There's still a lot to the lunar update besides the mutated mobs, with just what we've seen so far.

Just now, JimmyJam said:

Well if this was added it would turn off most of the update. The update is based off Lovecraft. The father of insane mind bending monsters. I could understand if there was blood or body horror. Hope im not coming off as rude. just adding my two cents :)

Yeah, I mean this doesn't have to toggle off the whole update. It's just the visual design of two specific mobs, which are totally tonally different from the rest of don't starve and really standout in how gory they look, is all that I've seen people taking issue with, y'know? And those designs are the main things I've seen barring people FROM getting to experience the update, because they don't want to encounter these designs while exploring the lunar island and so on.

thank you for posting about this.
im one of the people affected by the new designs, im really put off and deeply disturbed by them, to the point it makes me feel sick and i have to struggle to not cry. 
i'm really hoping for a redesign of the mobs, because i like to play on other people's worlds and not my own, and i can't rely on them to turn the mutated mobs off. something more rocky and less fleshy, maybe? like one of the mobs already is, the spider!
i don't like having to worry about not being set off about inevitable monsters in a game i really enjoy. it really, really lessens my enjoyment of the game and makes me really not wanna play it at all.
 i think a client side toggle would be useful, maybe, but i think it'd be hard to account for people who like to watch streams.

I feel like this isn't all that bad.
Not trying to stab anyone, but a reskin or toggle seems a bit much for something 100% in your control.

You can A: Not visit the remote island during Winter.
And B: not kill hounds when fully insane.

They only transform when killed near an insane player, plus, you can burn the corpse to prevent the Horrorhound from birthing.

I mean, the concept is unsettle, but that's the point.
Don't Starve had Wilson cutting himself, Klaus has his eye sewn shut, Tallbirds were a failed breeding/NMF experiment by Maxwell.
Don't Starve was always dark, this is just them returning to their roots.

Now, I understand people who are bothered by gore, and I guess my experience with the real stuff has dialed down my reactions to it, I don't see an ice penguin being all too gory. 

However, a nice work around would be Client side mods. We had one ages ago that replaced spiders with monkeys due to people's arachnophobia. 

14 minutes ago, -Variant said:

Not trying to stab anyone, but a reskin or toggle seems a bit much for something 100% in your control.

You can A: Not visit the remote island during Winter.

They only transform when killed near an insane player, plus, you can burn the corpse to prevent the Horrorhound from birthing.

Don't Starve had Wilson cutting himself, Klaus has his eye sewn shut, Tallbirds were a failed breeding/NMF experiment by Maxwell.

Now, I understand people who are bothered by gore, and I guess my experience with the real stuff has dialed down my reactions to it, I don't see an ice penguin being all too gory. 

However, a nice work around would be Client side mods. We had one ages ago that replaced spiders with monkeys due to people's arachnophobia. 

The ice part isn't the issue for people, it's the body parts visible inside of it. The mutated mobs that don't have visible viscera haven't been a problem for anyone as far as I know. And unfortunately, killing hounds when insane isn't 100% avoidable for some people.

Again, not asking for removal, just think that the horror hounds and mutant pengulls should be toggleable on/off the same way people can turn off spiders, without having to turn off hounds and pengulls altogether (since hound teeth are actually really important items).

I really like the DST community and I don't wanna see a section get alienated, and I'm ultra-worried that that's gonna happen since visible viscera is a common fear/trigger.

36 minutes ago, -Variant said:

For you. But for people like me, it's deeply distressing.

Insanity is a main part of the game, as are hound attacks. That's completely unfair to have two fundamental parts of the game result in something so disturbing, especially considering the fact hounds are unavoidable during attacks?

It's not "unsettling". It's grotesque.

-Wilson cutting himself was a brief moment
-Klaus is actually unsettling in his design, but it's not gorey.
-This isn't apparent in the game itself? In the game itself they're just large cycloptic birds who don't like when you get too close to their nest.

The "roots" of Don't Starve weren't body horror. Yes, it's dark, but it has never been this visceral. It's not even "dark" it's just disgusting.

You just said it there. Your experience with real stuff has dialed down your reaction to it. Think, for just a moment, about other people who don't feel the same as you do. While you can go "oh, it's not that bad" people like me will begin uncontrollably crying because it's just too much. You can say I'm a baby or that I'm "too sensitive", but your opinion on that doesn't matter. It's emotionally distressing to have to see the innards of a creature. The ice penguin isn't just an ice penguin. You see it's insides, and despite it being cartoony, my brain still tells me there's something deeply wrong about that, and I begin to cry.

I don't fully disagree with you here. I think a Client side toggle or mod could be useful, but I still think an overall change should be there. There shouldn't have to be a Client side toggle or mod because people don't want to see gorey stuff in Don't Starve. It's never been like this. There's no reason for it to be now.
Also, it should NOT be up to the community to make mods to fix this. When there's disturbing and distressing content in the game, it shouldn't be up to the players to change it. It should not.

I completely understand and empathise with people who would find these creatures disturbing. I think a client side toggle could be a really good compromise, especially one that you’re prompted to make.

I don’t think the art style of these new creatures should be changed for everyone though. I know a lot of the players are really pleased about the darker tone, so changing it outright would be unfair on them.

Just now, Tosh said:

I completely understand and empathise with people who would find these creatures disturbing. I think a client side toggle could be a really good compromise, especially one that you’re prompted to make.

I don’t think the art style of these new creatures should be changed for everyone though. I know a lot of the players are really pleased about the darker tone, so changing it outright would be unfair on them.

Exactly! A client-side opt-out would allow the players uncomfortable with the visuals to avoid them, while still letting the rest of the playerbase enjoy the design team's work! 

Long Pig sets a good precedent for this concept, too. It was removed because it was just too much, after all, but the assets remain in the files and are even used for mods and so on. I don't mind these monsters remaining in the game (I quite like it, but again, tastes vary) but the client-side toggle seems like the smoothest fix, or even just having complete redesigns and having the old ones summonable by console command, like y'all say!

10 minutes ago, Warbucks said:

They can retire the zombie penguins and hounds and then players can only activate them via console command, I think that would be great.

I completely agree with this. I like this idea a lot. Then, if people REALLY want to see them, they could make a mod for it, like they did with Long Pig.

3 minutes ago, helioboros said:

Long Pig sets a good precedent for this concept, too. It was removed because it was just too much, after all, but the assets remain in the files and are even used for mods and so on. I don't mind these monsters remaining in the game (I quite like it, but again, tastes vary) but the client-side toggle seems like the smoothest fix, or even just having complete redesigns and having the old ones summonable by console command, like y'all say!

^^^ Speaking of, this!! yeah!!

Don't worry guys Klei will have to listen to us I can't believe they make this content which is not visually appropriate!! it's so unbelievable I am very disappointment in Klei and hope they remove all zombie then we can not become trumatized so much :wilson_flower:

34 minutes ago, butlerkitties said:

Also, it should NOT be up to the community to make mods to fix this. When there's disturbing and distressing content in the game, it shouldn't be up to the players to change it. It should not.

I get what you’re saying, but the problem is you’re suggested the game be changed outright for an issue only few would actually have. Many people actually really enjoy the idea of a darker lovecraftian tone, so changing everything would end up being detrimental to the majority who don’t have the problems you do.

Imagine if every asset in the game was remade black and white just so colorblind people would have the same experience.

6 minutes ago, Warbucks said:

Don't worry guys Klei will have to listen to us I can't believe they make this content which is not visually appropriate!! it's so unbelievable I am very disappointment in Klei and hope they remove all zombie then we can not become trumatized so much :wilson_flower:

Please stop.

4 minutes ago, Warbucks said:

... please don't be like this. If you disagree with something, present your argument like a reasonable person. Trolling in this situation isn't helping anyone.

I certainly don't want the design team to scrap anything. I think a toggle is the best option. I personally like the designs but they make quite a few people that I know genuinely nauseated- not just uneasy, but genuinely nauseous and unwell. And I don't want the playerbase to be split up over something like that.

1 minute ago, YouKnowWho said:

I get what you’re saying, but the problem is you’re suggested the game be changed outright for an issue only few would actually have. Many people actually really enjoy the idea of a darker lovecraftian tone, so changing everything would end up being detrimental to the majority who don’t have the problems you do.

Imagine if every asset in the game was remade black and white just so colorblind people would have the same experience.

Please stop.

And that's why the game shouldn't be changed outright. Most people enjoy the creepy visuals, but enough people are made queasy or outright panicked by it that I feel like giving them an option to turn off that particular feature in the game would be nice. 

I get what you’re saying, but the problem is you’re suggested the game be changed outright for an issue only few would actually have. Many people actually really enjoy the idea, so changing everything would end up being detrimental to the majority.

You're not losing anything except some gorey visuals. It's also like, two new sort of skins of mobs. It's not "oh we've changed everything in the game". It's "we've removed(or changed) two disturbing skins of mobs". Your exaggeration isn't even accurate. It's really not that extreme of a thing to change compared to the distress or genuine discomfort it causes. 

It makes me sad that a thread politely requesting a client-side toggle for unsettling textures is being met with responses like this.

10 minutes ago, Warbucks said:

You are contributing nothing. Nobody is laughing. You are making a horrible case for Warbucks by showing his "fanbase" is like this.

7 minutes ago, deludeddaybreak said:

... please don't be like this. If you disagree with something, present your argument like a reasonable person. Trolling in this situation isn't helping anyone.

I certainly don't want the design team to scrap anything. I think a toggle is the best option. I personally like the designs but they make quite a few people that I know genuinely nauseated- not just uneasy, but genuinely nauseous and unwell. And I don't want the playerbase to be split up over something like that.

I'm not trolling. I can't believe you would assume such a thing from so little I have said :(.

I am genuinely concerned and uncomfortable with this highly gore-y content being in my DST experience and can't believe Klei would add such gore to a T-rated game. I play DST to have a relaxing casual experience with my friends not feel like throwing up at the sight of animals with their organs all about. This content is not visually appropriate and I definitely feel Klei should remove it from the game!!

2 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

You are contributing nothing. Nobody is laughing. You are making a horrible case for Warbucks by showing his "fanbase" is like this.

Don't bully me.

6 minutes ago, butlerkitties said:

You're not losing anything except some gorey visuals. It's also like, two new sort of skins of mobs. It's not "oh we've changed everything in the game". It's "we've removed(or changed) two disturbing skins of mobs". Your exaggeration isn't even accurate. It's really not that extreme of a thing to change compared to the distress or genuine discomfort it causes. 

It's just an example. No need to build up a strawman here.

Besides, I'm not even arguing against a toggle. Everybody should be able to enjoy Don't Starve, it's a great game. But making a change everybody has to deal with to the base game is a lot more detrimental than something simple like a toggle or a mod. 

And, well, though it may sound silly, people like the gory visuals. 

It's just an example. No need to build up a strawman here.

Besides, I'm not even arguing against a toggle. Everybody should be able to enjoy Don't Starve, it's a great game. But making a change everybody has to deal with to the base game is a lot more detrimental than something simple like a toggle or a mod. 

And, well, though it may sound silly, people like the gory visuals. 

I hate gore in movies and stuff. But i love love love cosmic horror with a little gore!

Archived