Jobs were recently revamped to be more like an RPG skill system, rather than a Jobs mastery system, this does that the more perks you stack onto a Dupe, the more morale expectation it will have, instead of it just being based on max-tier. Thats great because now its a bit more "Build your dupe"  that you add what you think is important.

However, as it stands, there arent all too many skills that grant unique perks. Sure, there's Pipe Emptying and Transport-Rails, but there should be more. Some should be related to the regular life of a Dupe, and not always about being able to perform a new kind of work.

For example, Improved Digging I at the moment is underwhelming for being an end-tier job. Thats why I believe that some job trees should end in two branching final paths, lets say, 2 paths. You can master both but they cost considerable Morale expectation increase. Miner and Architect branches into "Master Architect/Miner" and "Leader Architect/Miner". Master will improve their build or mining range by one tile, a basic but great all-round buff to have, and Leader will improve the respective workspeed of other fellow duplicants in its vincinity.

I think that "Grilling removes germs" should be tied to a masterable Skill, like Sous chef has no chance to remove bacteria, regular Chef has 50% to do so, and an optional high-tier of Chef that doesnt improve the cooking stat, but does that they'll always remove bacteria from what they cook, incase you're a germaphobe.

There can be a skill that branches off Exosuit Engineer called "Eco-Jetpack Flying" that when mastered, does that this duplicant spends less fuel and leaves less CO2 when flying with Jetpack Suits.

Some Skills should offer more mundane things, what about a job that branches off Doctor that is called "Therapist" or "Negotiator", which does that every time this Duplicant does a social interaction(Greet, chitchat, etc) with another dupe, the stress reduction will last twice as long, plus they'll overide any other current stress reduction. This would be a great job for Leaders where not only do you make your peers work faster, they also get more stress reduced.

Just some examples, I think the goal of Skills is that well educated Dupes can offer significant bonuses, capabilities of work, and perks to a colony, while not neccessarily becoming a one-man army thanks to it becoming costly with the Morale requirements. Some more jobs with oddly specific perks will let people build their own dupes more as they go.

I kinda feel like there should be repeatable skills you can assign multiple times but they would just give stats. Like having one branch over from the miner and add +2 digging for 1 expectation(no reduction from interests) so you can assign the extra skill points you end up earning on the dupe over time.

Or maybe make the top tier skills work that way. Once you master it you can assign more points into it for extra stats which would just cost 1 expectation per extra point.

Yeap new skills will probably appear in a dlc im sure. I would like things like operators produce more materials. New jobs like the leader one you told about but it would be better suited to a branch of the medical skills together with the massage room. Your build and construction ideas are super cool i would just add the less material loss thst someone already commented in another post. Artist nerf "i will make a topic on that" and more branches for new and better arts like gothic art, mozaics painters that paint structures with the colour you want and giving it little decor buff like +5 decor. Special research branches that allow for structure improvements like engie tune up but far weaker and base wide and costly to do like researching using space materials.

On 11/5/2019 at 11:58 PM, Alfons100 said:

incase you're a germaphobe.

we need this as a trait

- this duplicant is afraid of germs, and will always use sinks, even if they are not covered in germs

or

- this duplicant will seek out sinks and wash their hands at random times

or

- this duplicant cannot perform any jobs that involves germs (digging infected slime and such)

On 5/11/2019 at 4:58 PM, Alfons100 said:

Some Skills should offer more mundane things, what about a job that branches off Doctor that is called "Therapist" or "Negotiator", which does that every time this Duplicant does a social interaction(Greet, chitchat, etc) with another dupe, the stress reduction will last twice as long, plus they'll overide any other current stress reduction. This would be a great job for Leaders where not only do you make your peers work faster, they also get more stress reduced.

I'm down with both therapists and leaders.  Yes please.

Chef skill 3% chance to make better food maybe. Instead of fried mushrooms he made an omelette... or kind of

Digging 10%chance to get 100% of tile mass instead of 50%

Building 5% chance to instantly build

And so on. I could think of 10 more.

Edit. Some more..

Doctor. 1% chance to restore mood by 10 points when treating dupes.

Farmer. 1% chance to harvest when tending to plant

Rancher 1% chance critter lays an egg when groomed

Researcher 5% chance to do research without resources 

Artist. 1% chance to make an masterwork on lowest artist tier

I think they plan to have a whole set of changes to the research and skills trees, as the game progresses.

Less items "lumped together", and more parallel choices. Since they trees are REAL generous, at the moment. Until more content enters the game, they have had to lump things together as they work-out order and need and desires of the world and players.

I imagine that things like "digging", though there are only three levels of hardness, may have 6 to 9 levels of progression, in the future. One being the ability to mine a material and the other one/two, being a faster speed for mining that material. (Or being a better yield from mining, or both.)

Same with the "devices" research. I can see "refrigeration" being an opening research, with the fridge. But, other items spread-out to parallel research. Thus, you only research what you need, as part of the refrigeration branch. (As opposed to getting all those things, instantly.) {Poor example, but something like the "automation" branch may have been a better example.}

Archived