help with heavy power line

in my last couple of worlds my heavy conductive wire is receiving damage because 20k is not enought, with the amount of automation that im having im having power spikes, all my consumers are behind large power transformers and are cut off of power by automation with a battery and a power shutoff,but is not enought and i dont want to have 2 heavy power lines, any ideas? sorry for my bad english

Do you have batteries on the other side of transformers? Transformers can go over their rated limit when moving power from battery to battery. A small transformer can fry 2k wire this way.

If you are actually using this much power, then you should "stage" your power generators - instead of activating them all at say, 30% power, activate one at 50%, one at 45%, one at 40% and so on. Deactivate them in the same order too, not all at once.

If you're staging them already, then it looks like you just need to split the power main power line. It's possible to do automation tricks to smooth out power usage, but they're complex and not worth it. Extra generators are cheap and easy to set up.

Also, try not to use the large power transformers except when you actually need to. I make due with small transformers for everything except for buildings that need more than 1kW by themselves like aquatuners and metal refineries. 

This is how i set up my power spine, i dont conect nothing directly to it, i woul replace most od my large transformers to the smaller ones, and will stage all my automation, i have then all to 50%, thanks for the insights, lets hope this will help, also i will see if have some mixed cables. btw this is a test world, when i build the perfect base with my current knowlege, then restar and try to do the same in survival (need to do new things)

image.thumb.png.e65013008f481444366bd39c1ed236da.pngimage.thumb.png.e42e3d5d697e1c3689781f224256a07e.png

On 5/7/2019 at 4:33 AM, Arkaon said:

image.thumb.png.e42e3d5d697e1c3689781f224256a07e.png

You seem to connect flimsy 2kW wires to the 20kW grid here over the switches. That will cause overload when a switch is engaged. The load always goes on the complete grid, only transformers limit power, switches do not.

1 hour ago, Gurgel said:

You seem to connect flimsy 2kW wires to the 20kW grid here over the switches. That will cause overload when a switch is engaged. The load always goes on the complete grid, only transformers limit power, switches do not.

Aren’t those the automation wires not power wires?

3 hours ago, FiannaTiger said:

leading them down the rabbit hole :)  There are so many other things in ONI that can take ones time...

That is so dang true.  I sit down to play and think, I am concentrating on building volcano tamer this session!  annnnnnnd three hours later, I've fixed a weird water situation, cleared slime lung out of a pocket of PO2, set up some new atmo suits and checkpoints which meant re-routing the oxygen lines and not done the volcano and wonder where the time went.....

Archived