Simple Door Pump Automation

So I've been purposefully avoiding looking at how others did this, and here's what I came up with:

image.thumb.png.7972338cc333e30d3469904dccf573c8.png

All bar the far right pressure plate are set to "below" (and thus turn on when the door closes).

Before:

image.thumb.png.a2f756c14dcd8b1a8cdb16ff2454e274.png

After:

image.thumb.png.70758630ebbfd90652fa6287dcc5aba0.png

EDIT: Here's a more "space friendly" version. The top right pressure plate is the only one set to above.

image.thumb.png.35c11216d5008cbf95b235cbd2148f44.png

And here's a demonstration of how it's tile-able (with slightly less wire too):

image.thumb.png.c50eb76058198992b41175fdc21c6f92.png 

Edit: Note that, until we can rotate pressure plates, the compact version is horizontal only.

Okay, so here's a somewhat messy compact vertical pump. If someone wants to take a crack at cleaning it up, be my guest. I am going to sleep now that I've spent two hours thinking about this instead of said sleep.

image.thumb.png.9917315b915aefabdd5cb1d0b2b35dce.png

12 minutes ago, Mullematsch said:

I had no idea you get an automation output of a door like that. That is pretty cool! 

I'm surprised too, thought admittedly it makes sense when you think about it. This means we can get an automation signal, which tells if a door has been opened by dupes. The question is what to do with this kind of information. I'm thinking something like an airlock, which blocks dupes from entering if first opened in the other end, hence preventing opening both sides at once while still maintaining allowing dupes to enter from both sides on a first come first served approach.

I took the liberty of simplifying it a bit

19 hours ago, Mullematsch said:

I had no idea you get an automation output of a door like that. That is pretty cool! 

I wonder how many people knew about this, haven't seen it before, really a great find!

I did some tinkering and was able to shrink the pump a little:

image.png.656ab0c25c173dfef4dc7b09919c186f.png

it has slightly reduced throughput because of the delay from the NOT gate (<1%, maybe <0.1%, can't say exactly, there is always some inaccuracy).

The plates are set to below (10kg).

One really nice feature about the concept wasn't mentioned yet: Since the doors are controlled by dependencies you can just power them up and increase throughput, no timings to mess up or anything :)

56 minutes ago, StelioKontos said:

I'm quite new to the new and I don't quite understand anything.

I read somewhere that a closing door would kill the gas in between, has it been fixed? Same as building a tile under water would consume the water tile?

Only if the gas/liquid has nowhere to go. If you cycle the doors in order, they act as a pump. 

While I prefer my own setup with a series of buffer gates and filter gates, triggered through a timed pulse, the pressure plate/door mechanic is awesome! This allows for checking if a door is open or not, so you know when a dupe comes through a door.

That's a great find for other things. :D

On 05/05/2019 at 12:26 PM, Yalp said:

I took the liberty of simplifying it a bit

I wonder how many people knew about this, haven't seen it before, really a great find!

I did some tinkering and was able to shrink the pump a little:

image.png.656ab0c25c173dfef4dc7b09919c186f.png

it has slightly reduced throughput because of the delay from the NOT gate (<1%, maybe <0.1%, can't say exactly, there is always some inaccuracy).

The plates are set to below (10kg).

One really nice feature about the concept wasn't mentioned yet: Since the doors are controlled by dependencies you can just power them up and increase throughput, no timings to mess up or anything :)

This really helped, thanks!

Now I feel stupid for relying on the external timer :p

Here's a revised vertical pump:

image.thumb.png.657b2ea3b38e3440bee9e1e3073ddade.png

The left plate is set to above, the right plate is set to below.

On 06/05/2019 at 2:07 AM, suicide commando said:

While I prefer my own setup with a series of buffer gates and filter gates, triggered through a timed pulse, the pressure plate/door mechanic is awesome! This allows for checking if a door is open or not, so you know when a dupe comes through a door.

That's a great find for other things. :D

Really need to think about using the pressure plate like this, many idea come in my mind. Just want to wait until the new biome, i don't really want to start a new base before game is ready

Something that only just came to me when I was trying something far too complicated to collect regolith without loosing atmosphere, is that a downward pump will allow items (and falling tiles) to pass down while preventing fluids from passing up.

Archived