Jump to content

Nettles (Beta): What am I doing wrong?


Recommended Posts

Previously I've only played characters who can't or don't need to use nettles for hay fever, so this is my first farm. Planted in the jungle, with a sprinkler. This is near my based and not once has the sprinkler emptied out, so it's been running steadily for several game days and they have been continuously wet. Only one of the nettles bloomed, the first one I planted, almost as soon as I turned on the sprinkler. The one thing that occurred to me is that it is now lush season. Do they only bloom in humid season?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Rellimarual said:

Previously I've only played characters who can't or don't need to use nettles for hay fever, so this is my first farm. Planted in the jungle, with a sprinkler. This is near my based and not once has the sprinkler emptied out, so it's been running steadily for several game days and they have been continuously wet. Only one of the nettles bloomed, the first one I planted, almost as soon as I turned on the sprinkler. The one thing that occurred to me is that it is now lush season. Do they only bloom in humid season?

they bloom in all seasons all they need it to be planted on dense or jungle turf and to be wet you will know if they won't grow because they will wither if somethings wrong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think  (unless it's been changed) they'll wither if they loose the "wet" status. So you can't just treat them like berries or twigs and check on them every 10 days.

You have to check on them every day to see if they bloomed and if not then refuel the sprinkler

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Rellimarual said:

The sprinkler has literally never stopped running for at least four game days. It hasn’t run out of fuel even once. My base is only a screen or two away from base so I’ve checked it every day. Must be bugged, I guess...

Its bugged currently and it was fixed before but I guess it became like that again, apparently in my case The nettle plants were harvested by me and I've let them remain in their place in the jungle, after that rain started a few days later and I went back to check up on them, I remained around them for 2 days or so and none of them bloomed, it was still raining for 3 days and nothing was happening, it seemed to look like they were just budding or something.

Its possible that maybe they bloom after rain/water stops falling on them and then they wither after a while cause I mostly found Nettle plants fully bloomed and ready for harvest when starting a new game regardless if it has rained or not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, ucw said:

Walking around in the jungle during heavy rain I often find a fully bloomed nettle -- and grab the nettle before digging up the plant for relocation.  

in my case I left it in its place after harvesting the nettle, when rain came and for 3 days the plant didn't bloom. same as your case.

oh and I just read the wiki, it says it takes 3 days to bloom which might mean they need 3 days of continuous rain/wetness  to bloom.
this might explain why they are taking soo long, only in case of Wickerbottom do they bloom after just one book read but they still have to be wet.

also they only bloom on Deep rainforest Turf and Dense Turf.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, MWY said:

oh and I just read the wiki, it says it takes 3 days to bloom which might mean they need 3 days of continuous rain/wetness  to bloom.
 

@Rellimarual said he had the sprinkler going continuously, which would keep the nettles wet for the 3 days, at least, but they still didn't bloom...?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, ucw said:

@Rellimarual said he had the sprinkler going continuously, which would keep the nettles wet for the 3 days, at least, but they still didn't bloom...?  

in my case continuous rain for 3 days didn't cause them to bloom (uprooting them rests their growth time) so maybe they were going to bloom on the 4th day but I can't tell at the moment cause I removed the save.

also in his case one did bloom which he planted first so it must have passed 3 days by then while as rest might take more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, MWY said:

also in his case one did bloom which he planted first so it must have passed 3 days by then while as rest might take more.

The first one I planted early in the run, the rest much later. The first one bloomed almost as soon as I turned on the sprinkler, the rest never have, after 5 or 6 game days with the sprinkler on without interruption. The only thing I can think of is that saving and relogging between planting and turning on the sprinkler made a difference, but that’s just a guess.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Rellimarual said:

The first one I planted early in the run, the rest much later. The first one bloomed almost as soon as I turned on the sprinkler, the rest never have, after 5 or 6 game days with the sprinkler on without interruption. The only thing I can think of is that saving and relogging between planting and turning on the sprinkler made a difference, but that’s just a guess.

It does sound buggy. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rellimarual said:

The first one I planted early in the run, the rest much later. The first one bloomed almost as soon as I turned on the sprinkler, the rest never have, after 5 or 6 game days with the sprinkler on without interruption. The only thing I can think of is that saving and relogging between planting and turning on the sprinkler made a difference, but that’s just a guess.

it indeed is a bug then, please report in bug section.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, MWY said:

in my case I left it in its place after harvesting the nettle, when rain came and for 3 days the plant didn't bloom. same as your case.

oh and I just read the wiki, it says it takes 3 days to bloom which might mean they need 3 days of continuous rain/wetness  to bloom.
this might explain why they are taking soo long, only in case of Wickerbottom do they bloom after just one book read but they still have to be wet.

also they only bloom on Deep rainforest Turf and Dense Turf.

These are both very important points to notice. You MUST:

  • Have Nettles planted on the Deep Jungle Turf (Natural) OR the Jungle Turf (player made)
  • MUST have 3 days of CONTINUOUS water for them to bloom

Also when planting nettles visually it can get a bit confusing depending on the turf priority to where they will grow. But TECHNICALLY speaking if you are using Geometric Placement as long as you're in the same square of turf that you put down, the nettles are good (they do not require fertilizer like grass does). Any placed outside that square will look withered and need to be dug up and moved (as seen in the image).

The second Image I have is of my live Wagstaff file and I've had zero trouble growing nettles. As long as I put 2 manure in the sprinkler per day, I get 10 nettles every harvest.

Edit for clarification: Both of these images were taken TODAY in the Hamlet_Interiors Beta branch.
 

Nettles.png

Nettles Live.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Griver84 said:

These are both very important points to notice. You MUST:

  • Have Nettles planted on the Deep Jungle Turf (Natural) OR the Jungle Turf (player made)
  • MUST have 3 days of CONTINUOUS water for them to bloom

Both of these conditions were met, as the OP explains

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, which is why I included shots about the Turf as well. Because that is a condition as well. Depending on turf priority it may look like you're on the turf but not be and thus not growing nettles. Which is why the shot has a withered one as well.

Wild nettles you can get lucky with and be able to harvest them during and near the end of a rainstorm after fog in the humid season, but thats about the only time you'll get wild nettle harvests.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

×
×
  • Create New...