What if teenbird make tallbird nest for the first time when fully grown up?

I take a pity on new-comers of dst when they try to incubate a tallbird egg because their effort will become void.

So I suggest: what if the smallbird(teenbird) can make a tallbird nest for the first time when they're finally grown up to tallbird?

As I know, The natural tallbird nest is flammable and does not respawn, so the tallbird can extinct at some point. I think my suggestion also can be a solution to this problem.

What's your opinion, everyone?

Great fudging idea.

Always found the smallbird mechanic to be meaningless and useless. But with that! every players would have their own protege around.

How does the growing bird choose the nesting site?

The place where he falls asleep the night after he becomes an adult?? 

51 minutes ago, csc_unit said:

Great fudging idea.

Always found the smallbird mechanic to be meaningless and useless. But with that! every players would have their own protege around.

How does the growing bird choose the nesting site?

The place where he falls asleep the night after he becomes an adult?? 

Maybe it could rummage through your chests looking for beefalo wool, and the teenbird would sleep on that until it ages, and would stay on the same beef wool each time, but switch if it is burnt or picked up

I definitely like this idea as i have had Tallbirds go extinct on a couple of my worlds. So as long as you collect some eggs you can keep the species alive and can actually insure that they thrive. 

You should be able to put the materials in a location and walk the bird to it, once it detects the proper materials it automatically builds the nest and stays put. For the materials i would think it should a certain number of grass, twigs, and beefalo fur. Maybe even require a specific turf to be under it that can be changed after the nest is established.

Hi! Devil's advocate here :twisted:

Choosing the emplacement of Tallbirds nests would be actually super OP. I'd put a bunch around Mactusk camps, near hound mounts to farm meats, load around the beeQueen and I am not been creative here. Too much options.

So if we want to keep the idea, I'd say the Tallbird could makes his own nest. He gathers grass (5) and twigs (5) by himself, then leaves your side (fleeing you in random directions, lets say, like butterflies do) to creates his nest some amount of time after that. So the nesting would be more aimless or at the least, not optimal. But may be if you are lucky and work hard on him you can manage something decent. When the nest is done, Tallbird becomes hostile to you.

2 hours ago, csc_unit said:

Choosing the emplacement of Tallbirds nests would be actually super OP. I'd put a bunch around Mactusk camps, near hound mounts to farm meats, load around the beeQueen and I am not been creative here. Too much options.

So if we want to keep the idea, I'd say the Tallbird could makes his own nest. He gathers grass (5) and twigs (5) by himself, then leaves your side (fleeing you in random directions, lets say, like butterflies do) to creates his nest some amount of time after that. So the nesting would be more aimless or at the least, not optimal. But may be if you are lucky and work hard on him you can manage something decent. When the nest is done, Tallbird becomes hostile to you.

I fail to see how it would be OP, you can already place rabbit hutches, pig houses, tooth traps, spider nests any where you want and that hasn't broken the game this is just one more creature that you could have some control over. And it certainly needs to become hostile once it matures.

And even if it was to go off randomly like you suggested you could still get the same result given enough time.

23 hours ago, csc_unit said:

You're right, there are too many options...

Let's also not forget that putting tallbirds around hound mounds is not only impractical as other hounds would eat the meat, but because it would hurt the tallbirds

You also need to realize that in order to even have this discussion you need to actually raise a smallbird clear to adulthood which, I know for many, is substantially easier said than done. Also, the tallbirds would still be aggressive to you, (and other smallbirds and teenbirds, for some reason? Come on Klei, fix your game...) so using them as some sort of alternative farming agent is a simply impractical on all angles idea.

@Auth

On 4/26/2019 at 5:44 PM, csc_unit said:

Great fudging idea.

On 4/26/2019 at 7:54 PM, csc_unit said:

Hi! Devil's advocate here

Keep in mind I am not really saying it would be OP. I was merely trying to find reasons for not implementing the idea. 

No disagreement here.

Archived