Stuff that'd be cool to mod

lpsquiggle said:

It might be worth making a new post in the Mods Forum with a list of systems you'd like to mod or tutorials you'd like to see. This will give us an idea of where we can focus our attention.

So this is what we should do I suppose. I have only started looking into ONI modding today, so I'm not sure what's already available to be modded (and please feel free to point me to how this would be done if it is already possible), but I would love to mod:

• new planets: one idea I had was for an alien trade station, where the cargo bay of a rocket would have to contain a specified material to bring back something else in return. this would require modification of the "pre-flight checklist" of a rocket as well, allowing it to take off with a non-empty cargo bay, as well as adding a conveyor input to it. (Most of this would be possible to mod with the custom system from what I've learned over the weekend. I've even made a mod that allows modifying a bunch of things about planets via JSON, forum thread for that coming soon.)
  • duplicant AI: a mod suggestion I saw was basically a clown, a duplicant whose sole job it is to run to other dupes and cheer them up. This would require setting waypoints for duplicants and adding a new skill as well (so they can have a clown hat and look the part)
  • critter AI: changing what tiles they see as pathable, so that something like a fence, a cattle grid, or a critter-repellent flower could be implemented (Oozinator)
  • strange physics: a new fluid that floats above gas instead of below, a gas that can push back against another gas with way higher pressure, a solid that blocks gasses and fluids, but allows entities to pass through... you get the idea.
    • More control over how the physics simulation is run in general (Sazza22)

What are your thoughts on these? Have you got anything you'd like to mod in but can't? Post it here and I'll add it to the list so it's easier for the devs to reference.

19 hours ago, QuantumFlux said:

strange physics: a new fluid that floats above gas instead of below, a gas that can push back against another gas with way higher pressure, a solid that blocks gasses and fluids, but allows entities to pass through... you get the idea.

I wonder if it`s possible to mod my idea of gas pockets for avoiding gas deletion and small amounts of gas blocking larger amounts of gas or liquid.

Spoiler

Basically the idea is that if a gas (or liquid) has very little mass compared to the surroundings, like 1/20th or less it changes into a small pocket that acts like a bottle (so there can be gas/liquid behind it) but still remains a a gas so floats around and can merge with other similar pockets and normal gas of the same type. If the surrounding pressure falls or if enough pockets merge it returns to a normal state.

The idea is to reduce the amount of weirdnes that can happen with the one-element-per-tile system, especially if you got like 1mg of gas vs 1000kg of liquid.

15 hours ago, watermelen671 said:

I think it's time to open the floodgates for "character" mods. :wilson_ecstatic:

What I want? The ability to add more hats, critters, and change dupes' jumpsuits. 

gossipp.png.7e46688a7359158ec851d57177d88bf7.png

Meep is fast but weak. Can also see in DarknessTM

Archived