Is there a way to turn off the noise on the surface?

Something I've never really liked about the surface is the noise. I guess I've tuned it out to some degree, since I've built extensive structures on the surface, including multiple rockets, but I've always found the discordant sounds and static to be really irritating.

Is there some simple way to turn it off?

I agree. This is the only part of sound effects that annoys me in the game. I don't have the game here but I'm sure you can turn those noises off in audio options. Maybe puting Ambience sound to zero. The sad part is that it will true for all the map and all the base while you keep it this way. Once I spend good time in space I silence those noises too. It can drive one nuts after some hours.

Just a side note to be fair: hats off for the artist that made music and sound for ONI. It's beautiful, very well thought and fits perfectly the feel of the whole game. I can see a lot of work and effort put in every detail ... it's one of the best games I ever experienced in that reggard (if not the best).

And I even like the concept used to do space ambience. Only after some straight hours I feel annoyed by them to the point I turn it off for that save forever.

• Developer

Hey gang,

Thanks for the great feedback... I agree with everything said!

The design of the sound of the surface is meant to be cold and oppressive, but once you start to "tame" the surface, it should definitely begin to take on the warm character of the duplicants and their base instead. You certainly shouldn't be punished for taming the surface with a bunch of aggressive spooky sounds!

I will add this to the list! Thanks again for bringing it up.

• Developer

Hello again @Gus Smedstad @Junksteel @SharraShimada @Sasza22!

I just checked in my changes to this... as you build more and more on the surface, the untamed wild sounds will slowly be replaced with normal music and sound effects, as described above.

Please give it a try when the next build comes and let me know if it feels better for you. If it still feels bad, please include a .sav file and I'll take a look!

Thanks again for being vocal about sound feedback, and thanks for the tag to make sure I see it @Squeegee!

[edit April 5th: this is now live!]

On 2019/3/29 at 4:41 AM, jambell said:

The design of the sound of the surface is meant to be cold and oppressive, but once you start to "tame" the surface, it should definitely begin to take on the warm character of the duplicants and their base instead. You certainly shouldn't be punished for taming the surface with a bunch of aggressive spooky sounds!

That would be perfect

12 hours ago, jambell said:

Hello again @Gus Smedstad @Junksteel @SharraShimada @Sasza22!

I just checked in my changes to this... as you build more and more on the surface, the untamed wild sounds will slowly be replaced with normal music and sound effects, as described above.

Please give it a try when the next build comes and let me know if it feels better for you. If it still feels bad, please include a .sav file and I'll take a look!

Thanks again for being vocal about sound feedback, and thanks for the tag to make sure I see it @Squeegee!

No matter the outcome, thank you so much for just adressing the issue. You guys are awesome.

Archived