The Water Duplicator - A Homemade Water Geyser Providing Almost 20kg/s at 3C

1 hour ago, Oozinator said:

In another thread, someone wrote about a "pressure limit" - resulting in game crash, when exceeded and it said something about 50t-tile, but i have much more then that, where/when should i stop hoarding?

I have no problems exceed 10 times that so I don't know really

7 hours ago, Saturnus said:

Note however there is a mass deletion bug (or feature) when the ratio between two gases or liquids exceeds 100.000:1

I was using an oil over vent trick to store NG had over 80kg, when a very small, less than 1kg of oxygen got in the mix and the next time I saved/loaded I had way over 80kg of oxygen and no NG at all in the storage area.  Is this what caused that?

17 minutes ago, Denisetwin said:

I was using an oil over vent trick to store NG had over 80kg, when a very small, less than 1kg of oxygen got in the mix and the next time I saved/loaded I had way over 80kg of oxygen and no NG at all in the storage area.  Is this what caused that?

Possibly. Mind you the exact ratio of 100.000:1 was something I found quite a while ago so that may have changed to less now. Was it less than 0.8g oxygen?

9 hours ago, Saturnus said:

Possibly. Mind you the exact ratio of 100.000:1 was something I found quite a while ago so that may have changed to less now. Was it less than 0.8g oxygen?

I already opened it up and let it all go.  It wasn't much.  I was very unhappy as I had plenty of oxygen....

Well, I tried making a water duplicator in a survival game, and thought I'd add a ring of airflow tiles around it to allow pressure to build. 

5c905c34a269e_Screenshotfrom2019-03-1821-01-04.thumb.png.5325251c6ccd063d72e9ac0fa51468ee.png

Note the water appearing UNDER the doors IN the airflow tiles.  All that water is super cold, and all the water above the doors is getting hotter and hotter. I'm getting matter duplication still, but the water is unaccessible. It also appears to prefer to go DOWN, if possible, which might change my future designs.

Most importantly, I hope this helps the devs track down this bug before the final release. @Ipsquiggle

3 minutes ago, mathmanican said:

They are already over 2000kg.  No breakage at all.  Took me a while to even notice them. LOL. Bugs feeding into more bugs...

They'll break. Airflow tiles break when water inside them builds up pressure.

Btw, just so you know. The duplication does not happen if it's not a solid tile below the doors.

I also made a petroleum duplicator with a hydrogen loop as well.

@mathmanican I've made the petroleum version stable now. At least it seems so to me. A single space heater seems just about enough to counteract the temperature drift.

Through put is hugely improved and it outputs about 4.5kg/s at -52C now which I think is pretty good considering it's only twin thermo-regulators doing the cooling. Also higher throughput would probably not be advisable due to you then have to have an additional pump which would complicate matters.

With some tweaking, I could probably get a tiny bit higher throughput but I don't think it's worth the effort.

Just FYI, it follows the principle I've found out works the best with heat generated below the melter and then distributed via piping. 

image.png.07ce80694d07e93dd1559975a553e0e7.png

timeline divergence.sav

1 minute ago, Saturnus said:

I've made the petroleum version stable now.

This just gets better and better.  I assume you've played with crude oil? This design looks like it could work to make liquid chlorine and liquid CO2 as well, with some tinkering.  I love it! Thanks for sharing.

6 minutes ago, mathmanican said:

This just gets better and better.  I assume you've played with crude oil? This design looks like it could work to make liquid chlorine and liquid CO2 as well, with some tinkering.  I love it! Thanks for sharing.

I haven't bothered with crude oil because it has no use in the game besides being the raw material for petroleum. Easier to just skip the conversion process and make petroleum directly.

Yes, this set up can make chlorine and carbon dioxide as well. The only tricky part of that would be the initial priming needed, as you'll need several tons of liquid co2 or chlorine to start with but you can probably just use the output petroleum of this set up to do the actual cooling. I doubt you need additional cooling.

I just realized that output of the petroleum "geyser" is enough cooling to run a water "geyser" that outputs the exact same amount of water as petroleum without needing an aqautuner at all. So you only need the twin thermo-regulators to drive 4.5kg/s petroleum and 4.5kg/s water output. For well under 2KW total power use. I reckon about 1200W-1300W average would probably be enough to drive the whole thing.

This is because when you duplicate petroleum at -56C you get a massive surplus in cooling... or heat deletion if you will for free.

18 hours ago, Saturnus said:

I just realized that output of the petroleum "geyser" is enough cooling to run a water "geyser" that outputs the exact same amount of water as petroleum without needing an aqautuner at all. So you only need the twin thermo-regulators to drive 4.5kg/s petroleum and 4.5kg/s water output. For well under 2KW total power use. I reckon about 1200W-1300W average would probably be enough to drive the whole thing.

This is because when you duplicate petroleum at -56C you get a massive surplus in cooling... or heat deletion if you will for free.

The longer I play this game, and the longer I read the ONI forum, the stranger things become. Can Jesus Kleist save us from the community's confounding albeit remarkable exploits?

I was wondering how I would go about building one of these in my survival colony. I don't have a cold fresh water supply at the moment and could really use one. In Saturnus' mini version, how would I get a vacuum in the airflow tiles? How do I close it off after building the whole thing and kickstart the system when there isn't any water in it yet?

13 minutes ago, SIrSparkleton said:

So I've managed to build the thing in a vacuum, just need to put water in the right places now I guess :D
Do I fill the freezer part with water, or put some in the bottom part? Or both? 

The freezer will fill automatically.

Now, you don't say exactly what version you built but from my testing in my versions they all start and stop automatically. They take a while to get going to maximum efficiency while the water in the melter drops in temperature. And they'll have hiccups due to temperature drift but at least in my versions they also recover from that by themselves.

Also losing power or blocking the outputs isn't a problem either. In fact, you can just cut power as a start/stop should it be needed.

Archived